Johnny Football. Meet the Meatball.

YoloinOhio

You know, I may be crazy but I'm not convinced we've seen the last of Manziel. If he pulls his off-field life together and focuses on football, he may be able to make something of his career. Yes he's not the most physically gifted QB but watching him in college it became clear to me that he has uncanny football instincts. He made some truly unbelievable plays, often in clutch situations, and while some are calling him a one-read player what I saw was quite different. He is a playground baller for sure - but (in college at least) he knew where is receivers were and he knew how to manipulate defenders with his legs until someone came open. I saw a lot of Doug Flutie and some Jeff Garcia, when he was playing at his best. It wasn't just Saban's defense that he embarrassed - he carved up a lot of good SEC defenses during his A&M days.

Again, it will all depend on whether he stops being a knucklehead and devotes himself to the craft. But if he does, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Manziel becomes a playmaker at the pro level.

My take as well. Good post Coach. Not predicting it but wouldn't be surprised at all. I actually wonder if taking the drinking out of him could hurt him some ways so that he is never the wild man that he was in college. My people disagree but I strongly feel that a lot of players have to be like that and out of control or they cannot play the fierce, bone-crushing game of football at this level.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I may be crazy but I'm not convinced we've seen the last of Manziel. If he pulls his off-field life together and focuses on football, he may be able to make something of his career. Yes he's not the most physically gifted QB but watching him in college it became clear to me that he has uncanny football instincts. He made some truly unbelievable plays, often in clutch situations, and while some are calling him a one-read player what I saw was quite different. He is a playground baller for sure - but (in college at least) he knew where is receivers were and he knew how to manipulate defenders with his legs until someone came open. I saw a lot of Doug Flutie and some Jeff Garcia, when he was playing at his best. It wasn't just Saban's defense that he embarrassed - he carved up a lot of good SEC defenses during his A&M days.

Again, it will all depend on whether he stops being a knucklehead and devotes himself to the craft. But if he does, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Manziel becomes a playmaker at the pro level.

In college he had all the time in the world to throw. He will NEVER be a QB in the NFL.

Actually half the time he ran around when he didn't need to.

Even if that is true, he got tremendous results. I dvr'd or watched most every game he played. He was an incredible QB on a lot of levels. He surely has the talent to play in the NFL. Whether he has the head is a completely different story.

Even if that is true, he got tremendous results. I dvr'd or watched most every game he played. He was an incredible QB on a lot of levels. He surely has the talent to play in the NFL. Whether he has the head is a completely different story.

Welcome to college... Many players are incredible in college but will NEVER make it in the NFL. Manziel is one of those. So keep talking about his college memories b.c those are all you will ever have.

Edited by Beef Jerky

Welcome to college... Many players are incredible in college but will NEVER make it in the NFL. Manziel is one of those. So keep talking about his college memories b.c those are all you will ever have.

Many more players suck in college and never make it in the NFL.

It's a good thing all those great Texas A&M LT's showed how much they "made" Johnny.

Just shows how big of a difference college is to the NFL. In college Manziel could run around like a chicken with his head cut off, in the NFL Kyle Williams put Manziel in his grave.

Just shows how big of a difference college is to the NFL. In college Manziel could run around like a chicken with his head cut off, in the NFL Kyle Williams put Manziel in his grave.

If getting strip sacked by the number 3 defense in the NFL after being thrown into the second half of a game that is basically a blowout, means you're "put in a grave," I think you're being a little unfair.

Also, watch Russell Wilson for me one time. He does the same stuff Johnny does.

Edited by FireChan

If getting strip sacked by the number 3 defense in the NFL after being thrown into the second half of a game that is basically a blowout, means you're "put in a grave," I think you're being a little unfair.

Don't worry Manziel will never succeed in the NFL.

Watch some of Wilson's highlights.

Imagine if Manziel was half the man Wilson was... But in the end he will never be Wilson. It is the main reason why I knew he would never make it in the NFL.

Edited by Beef Jerky

Also, watch Russell Wilson for me one time. He does the same stuff Johnny does.

No he doesn't and that is just lazy analysis. Watch Russell Wilson properly. When he leaves the pocket his eyes are down the field he wants to throw the football to an open guy and if it isn't there he either throws it away (I see him do this a lot, boot out nothing there, nowhere to run, throw it away) or if the running lane is there he tucks it heads for the first down marker and then gets out of harm's way.

When Wilson scrambles it is no playground football it is football in the confines of an offence he is still thinking, processing and calculating. Manziel doesn't. He goes into full scale playground mode he isn't half the decision maker that Russell is. Added to that is Wilson's accuracy and ability to go through his progressions from then pocket. Johnny is a first read or escape guy... and he does not have the in-pocket accuracy of Russell Wilson, nowhere near. That isn't to say Manziel has nothing going for him, but he does not have enough of his game that transitions to the National Football League to ever be considered a top 10 Quarterback at this level. People need to stop seeing those great college plays in their mind's eye when they think of Manziel.... this is the NFL. It is a different ball game altogether against defences several levels above what he had ever faced in college.

Edited by GunnerBill

No he doesn't and that is just lazy analysis. Watch Russell Wilson properly. When he leaves the pocket his eyes are down the field he wants to throw the football to an open guy and if it isn't there he either throws it away (I see him do this a lot, boot out nothing there, nowhere to run, throw it away) or if the running lane is there he tucks it heads for the first down marker and then gets out of harm's way.

When Wilson scrambles it is no playground football it is football in the confines of an offence he is still thinking, processing and calculating. Manziel doesn't. He goes into full scale playground mode he isn't half the decision maker that Russell is. Added to that is Wilson's accuracy and ability to go through his progressions from then pocket. Johnny is a first read or escape guy... and he does not have the in-pocket accuracy of Russell Wilson, nowhere near. That isn't to say Manziel has nothing going for him, but he does not have enough of his game that transitions to the National Football League to ever be considered a top 10 Quarterback at this level. People need to stop seeing those great college plays in their mind's eye when they think of Manziel.... this is the NFL. It is a different ball game altogether against defences several levels above what he had ever faced in college.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000117264/Russell-Wilson-s-extremely-long-6-yard-run

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24741802/mnf-play-to-know-russell-wilsons-crazy-scramble-and-pass-to-seal-it

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/2014/11/27/russell-wilsons-crazy-scramble-leads-to-touchdown-seahawks-settle-for-field-goal-vs-49ers/#28788101=0

Nah. This is backyard football, made at the NFL level, by a player of similar size and physical ability.

Here's another one.

http://gamedayr.com/sports/video-russell-wilson-scramble-pass-doug-baldwin-49ers-95149/

Edited by FireChan

Manziel will never be a NFL franchise QB... Get over it. Wilson is on a different level then Manziel ever hopes to be. Edited by Beef Jerky

You give me a hard time but you lost any cred pushing Manziel as a legit NFL QB.

What?

Manziel will never be a NFL franchise QB... Get over it. Wilson is on a different level then Manziel ever hopes to be.

Wilson is ridiculous, yeah. But his game is very similar to Johnny's. That's all.