[closed]Beyond Go Fund Me....what's next?

cage

I initially posted this response on the thread related to the Go Fund Me effort, but rather than have it buried on page 11 of a long thread, perhaps it deserves its own?

I think that the effort Chevy ignited is outstanding and he's to be commended for acting and inspiring the fan-base to respond in such a compassionate way. Well done... VERY well done!! However, whatever money that can be raised in this manner is just stop-gap relief for a period that doesn't address that the root of the problem.

I've seen articles now on this story on ESPN, CBS Sports, Fox Sports and a number of other major football sites. However, it hasn't received ANY mention on NFL.com, the NFL Network or the Buffalo Bills website. I think now that the fans have spoken, acted and provided some short-term relief, for this effort to ultimately be successful the conversation and pressure needs to turn to the Bills and the NFL as Talley is far from the only player in this situation.

To me this is one of the first tests of the Pegulas' ownership of the team and whether there's more to it than just keeping the Bills in WNY. I'd like to see them step up and address this issue. I would also like to see reporters (and fans) begin to regularly ask coaches, active players and GMs about it at press conferences, radio shows and other call-in shows and not let them give some talking point response to dismiss it or kick it up the management chain. This should be a topic on sports talk radio, on the Doug Whaley show. Not just once, but until an acceptable response is given from the team.... and we all know what that is as we just acted.

We cannot accept media trained, legal trained talking point answers on this issue and should keep pressing it. The only way this will be address is if fans turn their attention to demanding the team and league to address this.

The money that was raised will be consumed at some point and if the larger solution doesn't come from the team and league, it will all be for naught. I wouldn't want to see that something tragic happened a few years from now because nothing came of this beyond some short-term relief. The answer is NOT for us to keep giving and helping, its for the team and the league to deal with their ex-players in a better way.

This grass roots effort provided incredible short-term relief and now it needs a continuation by using the power we have through the social, online and radio media that we're consuming to force this issue forward. Reporters and the passionate fans who contributed to this have at it...

Edited by cage

It would be nice to see someone (local business leader? fan leader such as Chevy?) set up a foundation to provide for ex-Bills in need. But unlike a one-off for Darryl Talley, it would need to be a professionally run outfit with proper auditing and legal precautions, and with a board of directors that can make allocations in a fair and consistent way.

Ultimately it would have to be in close coordination with the Bills and particularly the Pegulas.

If I didn't live 6,000 miles away I'd volunteer to work on it (I'm a lawyer but I moved overseas 25 years ago).

That's the kind of thing that ought to follow this wonderful occurrence.

It would be nice to see someone (local business leader? fan leader such as Chevy?) set up a foundation to provide for ex-Bills in need. But unlike a one-off for Darryl Talley, it would need to be a professionally run outfit with proper auditing and legal precautions, and with a board of directors that can make allocations in a fair and consistent way.

Ultimately it would have to be in close coordination with the Bills and particularly the Pegulas.

If I didn't live 6,000 miles away I'd volunteer to work on it (I'm a lawyer but I moved overseas 25 years ago).

That's the kind of thing that ought to follow this wonderful occurrence.

If done too closely with the bills you may see issues with improper benefits not accounted for in the salary cap potentially, along with the previously discussed legal issues that it could be construed as an admission of guilt.

A general fund isn't a crazy idea though. Just would be a delicate situation

[This is an automated response]

This subject matter is being currently being discussed or has already been discussed in a previous thread.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/173595-go-fund-me-for-darryl-talley/page__st__200#entry3352892

Please consider using the "search" function before starting new topics.

Thank you.