I was pleasantly surprised w/ Bledsoe's 04 play

Don't get me wrong, I still think his '04 play was inadequate as he and the O, the ST (the Lindell miss and Clements PR fumble), and the D (letting the Pitt scrubs run al over them- a 4th string RB? please) screwed up their chance to make the playoffs in the Pitts game in a big way.

However, after the major disaster of his play in '03 where this team failed to rack up any points multiple quarters in a row and the O dragged down a pretty gritty and real D performance I rerally expected nothing at all (again) from Bledsoe in 2004.

I was wrong in my estimation of how he would play in 2004. While it still may be true that you can't teach an old dog new tricks, I had allowed the tirades by many against Bledsoe on TSW to allow me to forget that he actually knew a few old tricks which under Clements/MM/Wyche he was able to bring to bear which allowed Bledsoe to play a good role in the winning streak before his and the team's power outage and untimely demise versus Pitts.

DOES ANYONE OUT THERE DENY THAT BLEDSOE IMPROVED IN SIGNIFICANT WAYS (not significant enough to be part of a playoff team unfortunately) IN 2004?

Specifically, I would point to:

1. Clements and the team did not over-rely on his arm like Kevin Killdrive-

I think one of the things the Bills did which grealy increased the productivity of Bledsoe and the O was to limit his ability to audible. Bledsoe himself said this grealy simplified the O which I think made it easier for him and the WR's and for him and the blockers to be on the same page, Part of the problem I saw was that Killdrive himself called too many pass plays to have balance and that Bledsoe like most competitors would often try to do to much and relied too much on what he liked to do and would audible out of the too few rushes called by Killdrive to pass the ball even on third and short. I think the better game calling and the limiting of Bledsoe's ability to audible or call pass-happy audibles really helped his production.

2. The Statue can actually run the ball-

I think folks fell into the trap of taking the fact that Bledsoe is far better as a thrower than as a runner as actually meaning he can't run the ball at all. A QB has to at least provide some threat that he may run the ball and pick up critical yards at least some of the time, or the D is going to sell itself out completely on the blitz and be more effective at rushing the QB. Bledsoe is a big boy in size and has bounced back up from punishment and tackles when he is sacked so there should be no fear that he is so fragile we should never run the ball. I really liked the several play calls we made where Bledsoe was able to pick up 5-7 yards running the QB draw on 2nd and 10 type plays. The key to being successful in getting the first down if you blow a first down pass or WM is held to a yard or two on a first down run is to know we have 2 plays to get 8-10 yards. If we misfire on a second down pass then fuggaboutit on 3rd down as the blitz will kill us on a must pass down, by having Bledsoe pick up positive yards on the draw on 2nd down by showing pass and then having him run this was simply good football.

I think this use of him also reminded me that like any QB who plays this game for awhile, Bledsoe does have the ability to not only hang in the pocket and throw it at the last second but also make some nifty sidestep moves from time to time. Use of the alarm clock set for 4 seconds in practice and reinforcing the habit of Bledsoe delivering the ball rather than locking onto his favorite receiver and going into his familiar pat-pat-pat-sack, was a great replacement for Parcells constantly yelling at Bledsoe just throw the damn ball.

3. He really did a nice job with play fakes and running the play out-

The cadillac example of this was when MM actually took points of the board when the Bills called TO on a 4th and 1 and Lindell actually put the kick through the uprights from outside the 40. We instead lined up and Bledsoe apparently was going to do a QB sneak to the right side but at the last minute he turned and pitched it to WM who scampered over 40 yards for the TD. Great call by the Bills and great fake and pitch by Bledsoe. He consistently showed good ability to keep moving even after hand-offs to WM, thus on the several plays where WM turned back to him and pitched him the ball, the D was fooled and he was able to throw some nice bombs to Evans and Moulds for big gains.

Even better for the Bills who want the future to happen as quickly as possible, when you watch Losman play now he is doing the same thing when he plays and this development is good to see.

Overall, I was a pretty vocal advocate of the Bills looking elsewhere for our 2004 QB after last year's Bledsoe debacle. I admit I was a bit disappointed by TD redoing his deal rather than cutting him and simply considering his acqusition a good move when he did it as we needed to replace RJ, but it was a wash at best since he played well in 2002 and sucked in 2003.

Yet, what impressed me most was that I think last year showed that MM/Clements revival of the careers of Maddox and Kordellia were not flukes and they really squeezed far more out of Bledsoe than I thought they would last year.

This brings us to 2005 and I think that TD/MM are doing just the right thing with handling the QB situation. I do not think Bledsoe is a good bet to deliver us to the promised land in '05. However, with the better production they got out of Bledsoe in 04 winning and making the playoffs with him as QB is still not likely but is not impossible in my judgment.

By insisting that the QB job is one to be won on the field and setting the groundwork for a competition between Bledsoe and our QB of the future they bith put pressure on Bledsoe to perform even better because we need it and also on Losman to step up as quickly as he can.

Even better, by attaching this call to the specifics of Bledsoe giving back (or simply extending his contract and lowering his immediate cap hit) on his contract so we have more cap room to make more deals, it will put us in a better situation to win.

Ultimately I hope Bledsoe is strong enough to face reality that he is on the backside of his career and the best thing for the Bills (and I think also for his legacy and his finances) is to be the team player he has been in the past and accept that he will get a fair shot to win this job on the field if he pulls off the unlikely and improves his play in 05 over 04 just as he improved his play and production in 04 over 03.

It is to be hoped that he trusts in MM/Clements/Wyche to be good at what they do and fair in assessing Losman's development and his play and let him play and lead the team if he stands a good chance of putting up playoff level Ws and bench him if Losman shows that his future is now.

My sense is that it is not unlikely that even if Losman proves to be the real deal that a chance like the one Bledsoe had and performed well with in the 2001 AF championship will occur. I insist that Bledsoe fully deserves his SB ring for that season because though it was clearly Brady's team, they would not have the ring if Bledsoe has not done what he did and played QB for them in the majority of a must-win game against Oakland and even throw the winning TD.

My sense is that the Bledsoe legacy will be a great one and he will even totally deserve entry into the HOF if his legacy is one of leading the Pats to the SB under Parcells, playing an essential role in the Pats winning the SB under Belichick and him being on an SB winning team as a back-up (and in the NFL it is simply the reality that back-up QBs are quite likely to be called upon to make a few critical plays and even start) for the Buffalo Bills with and behind JP Losman in 2005.

I hope Losman proves worthy of starting in 2005, but if he isn't there yet (he doesn't have to be perfect in my mind, just good enough to win some while he is learning) I feel OK abou the Bills going with Bledsoe if he is man enough, athlete enough, team player enough and Buffalo Bill enough to take a paycut.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't get through it all.......it's too early.......can someone just tell me if he ever said "just kidding"? Or was her serious?

I feel bad responding this brief after 1,587 words from you, but we need to move on. JP needs to play at some time. So why not now, before our defense starts to either retire, end contracts, etc...  JP needs to play. Let's move on.

225993[/snapback]

I couldn't read it, too long. Are you sure there was only 1587 words? I thought it was a Tom Clancey novel.

I couldn't read it, too long.  Are you sure there was only 1587 words?  I thought it was a Tom Clancey novel.

225999[/snapback]

Tom Clancey novel? Nah, that is light reading compared to most of his posts -

I am thinking more on the lines of War and Peace..

Man, I wish I had that much time on my hands.....

If these posts keep up about Bledsoe I will poke my eyes out with icepicks. *PLEASE STOP* AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Bledose is DONE . PERIOD..MOVE ON.

If these posts keep up about Bledsoe I will poke my eyes out with icepicks.  *PLEASE STOP* AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

226002[/snapback]

VA is the wrong person to tell that to, bro :w00t:

VA is the wrong person to tell that to, bro  :w00t:

226007[/snapback]

See you're wrong again. I have no problem if the coaches feel we have a better chance to win with JP, I am all for it. I however don't want the next Rattay, Boller, Coach, Feeley, Mccown, Harrington, Brooks, Testeverde, Fiedler, Plummer, Ramsay, Hutchinson, Simms, Eli Manning, Dorsey, etc....

All of whom started for there teams and all of whom sucked a lot worse than Drew did this year.

Again, if JP is our best option I support it.

Cliffs' Notes Version:

I think Bledsoe was adequate in '04. Everyone else screwed up against Pittsburgh.

I didn't expect anything out of Bledsoe this year, as sh------- as he played in '03.

I was wrong. All the anti-Drew yowling on TSW made me forget that he was once a pretty good QB and the new coaches would figure out how to play to his strengths.

You can't tell me that Drew didn't improve this year. For example:

1. Unlike Gilbride, Clements simplified the O, limited Drew's audibles, and didn't call too many passes.

2. He actually ran the ball well on occasion, and showed better pocket awareness.

3. He sold play fakes well, e.g. that fake QB sneak and pass to Willis on 4th and 1. Incidentally, Losman is doing the same thing.

I hated Drew after 2003 and was pissed when TD didn't cut him. But MM and Clements revived his career in the short term the same way they did with Maddox and Kordell.

I don't think Drew can win the SB in '05 but he played well enough to earn a shot at the starting job next year. Drew should trust the coaches to be fair. An open competition for the job is exactly what we need; coupled with a pay cut, it will help our team in the long run. If Drew starts, I can deal with it. If JP starts, hopefully Drew will be prepared to step in if needed (the way he did for Brady in 2001 against Pittsburgh). If that happens, his legacy is safe and he might even make the HOF.

Cliffs' Notes Version:

I think Bledsoe was adequate in '04.  Everyone else screwed up against Pittsburgh.

I didn't expect anything out of Bledsoe this year, as sh------- as he played in '03.

I was wrong.  All the anti-Drew yowling on TSW made me forget that he was once a pretty good QB and the new coaches would figure out how to play to his strengths.

You can't tell me that Drew didn't improve this year.  For example:

1.  Unlike Gilbride, Clements simplified the O, limited Drew's audibles, and didn't call too many passes.

2. He actually ran the ball well on occasion, and showed better pocket awareness.

3.  He sold play fakes well, e.g. that fake QB sneak and pass to Willis on 4th and 1.  Incidentally, Losman is doing the same thing.

I hated Drew after 2003 and was pissed when TD didn't cut him.  But MM and Clements revived his career in the short term the same way they did with Maddox and Kordell.

I don't think Drew can win the SB in '05 but he played well enough to earn a shot at the starting job next year.  Drew should trust the coaches to be fair.  An open competition for the job is exactly what we need; coupled with a pay cut, it will help our team in the long run.  If Drew starts, I can deal with it.  If JP starts, hopefully Drew will be prepared to step in if needed (the way he did for Brady in 2001 against Pittsburgh).  If that happens, his legacy is safe and he might even make the HOF.

226026[/snapback]

"I don't think Drew can win the SB in '05 but he played well enough to earn a shot at the starting job next year."

That right there is a loser mentality.

"I don't think Drew can win the SB in '05 but he played well enough to earn a shot at the starting job next year."

226029[/snapback]

Just so we're clear, that was FFS who said that, not me. I was just paraphrasing.

Cliffs' Notes Version:

I think Bledsoe was adequate in '04.  Everyone else screwed up against Pittsburgh.

I was wrong.  All the anti-Drew yowling on TSW made me forget that he was once a pretty good QB and the new coaches would figure out how to play to his strengths.

You can't tell me that Drew didn't improve this year.  For example:

1.  Unlike Gilbride, Clements simplified the O, limited Drew's audibles, and didn't call too many passes.

3.  He sold play fakes well, e.g. that fake QB sneak and pass to Willis on 4th and 1.  Incidentally, Losman is doing the same thing.

I hated Drew after 2003 and was pissed when TD didn't cut him.  But MM and Clements revived his career in the short term the same way they did with Maddox and Kordell.

I don't think Drew can win the SB in '05 but he played well enough to earn a shot at the starting job next year.  Drew should trust the coaches to be fair.  An open competition for the job is exactly what we need; coupled with a pay cut, it will help our team in the long run.  If Drew starts, I can deal with it.  If JP starts, hopefully Drew will be prepared to step in if needed (the way he did for Brady in 2001 against Pittsburgh).  If that happens, his legacy is safe and he might even make the HOF.

226026[/snapback]

Actually your first line of interpretation is different from what I said but the Cliff notes are pretty good and thanks for the distillation.

I said Bledsoe's play in 04 was better than his play in 03 but was INADEQUATE. Isus pect it will be inadequate again in 2005 so fine with me if we go elsewhere at QB, but i was wrong in not believing MM?Clements could improve his play last year aso petrhaps they can improve his play in 05 if they get a shot to do so.

Actually your first line of interpretation is different from what I said but the Cliff notes are pretty good and thanks for the distillation.

I said Bledsoe's play in 04 was better than his play in 03 but was INADEQUATE.  Isus pect it will be inadequate again in 2005 so fine with me if we go elsewhere at QB, but i was wrong in not believing MM?Clements could improve his play last year aso petrhaps they can improve his play in 05 if they get a shot to do so.

226044[/snapback]

I think people here are focusing on the wrong area to begin with. The Bills need to get the offensive line in order first and foremost. McGahee needs to have the bruising line so that we can run the ball 40 times a game like Pittsburg does. It's time we get some probowlers up front. If we get a dominate line even Bledsoe could get us to the big dance. That being said, I hope Losman starts and Drew's the backup.

226029[/snapback]

I think it is more like recognizing reality that even though i would have cut Bledsoe last year, I'm not in charge and I refuse to give up on my team even if the GM does something I disagree with.

My mentality was/is this.

1. The should've cut Bledsoe after 2003.

2. If they don't cut him for 04 at least they shoukld renegotiate a better deal with him and they did.

3. The 04 deal they renegotiated still struck me as too much and made it tough in terms of cap hit to cut him 05.

4. Obtaining a QB of the future in 04 was a smart thing to do.

5. Its unclear when JP will be ready and it will be the future sooner rather than later but giving JP a shot to take the QB job is the right thing to do, and getting Bledsoe to take a lower cap hit and agree to the role he played for Brady in 01 is a smart thing to do as well.

This doesn't sound like a loser mentality to me. Sticking with Bledsoe come heck or high water strikes me as a loser mentality. Going with a QB who still needs to learn the game and being happy to lose a few while he may get his act togetber strikes me as loser mentality as well.

I think people here are focusing on the wrong area to begin with. The Bills need to get the offensive line in order first and foremost. McGahee needs to have the bruising line so that we can run the ball 40 times a game like Pittsburg does. It's time we get some probowlers up front. If we get a dominate line even Bledsoe could get us to the big dance. That being said, I hope Losman starts and Drew's the backup.

226059[/snapback]

Actually, as I watch things fall into the order TD is arranging, I will be disappointed by missing some opportunities but not besurprised at all to see the Bill's essentially make no changes in personnel on the OL in the 05 pre-season.

The key thing to look for is wehther the Bills resign JJ. If they do, then I suspect it is because the market is saturated because most teams have already made huge long-term financial commitments at LT, those who have openings at LT cannot offer huge dollars to JJ because of their cap commitments (for example AT will be cutting players merely to make the cap) and worse for Jennings he is a lesser choice than likely FAs Jones, Thomas, or Pace for those few who have need and cap room. I still think that he will probably take a cap hit of $5 million annually to sign JJ (well below even the transition tag level of an LT contract) but in combination with the roughly $6 million cap hit due MW this will lock up an 1/8 of our cap room in two OL positions and I don't see us making big commitments elsewhere on the OL.

My guess is that unless they make a big move like go after a Jones or Pace with dollars from restructuring Moulds they will depend on a second year of JMac guidance to improve the OL.

LG is obviously the other big question mark, but again don't be surprised if JMac judges that he can get the same level of enormous improvement out of Smith in 05 he got from him in 04 as he progressed from the PS of the Ravens to starting for the Bills and that of Smith hits the wall then Tucker is his back-up plan.

Bledsoe may have "looked" better in 2004, but only because the coaches were forced to implement a dumbed-down, restricted offense that protected Drew from himself.

Fewer sacks was a direct result of completely abandoning all downfield passes, except off of gadget plays.

Drew still performed miserably against any and all teams that pressured him up the middle. The only decent defenses against which he had any success was Miami, not exactly a power house this year.

Even with rookie mistakes, it would be hard for Losman to perform worse than Drew. JP is not developing sitting on the bench.

Let Drew continue his Hall of Fame career somewhere else where expectations of mediocrity are acceptable.

If these posts keep up about Bledsoe I will poke my eyes out with icepicks.  *PLEASE STOP* AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

226002[/snapback]

I think he's got Dragon NAturally Speaking or something.

See you're wrong again.  I have no problem if the coaches feel we have a better chance to win with JP, I am all for it.  I however don't want the next Rattay, Boller, Coach, Feeley, Mccown, Harrington, Brooks, Testeverde, Fiedler, Plummer, Ramsay, Hutchinson, Simms, Eli Manning, Dorsey, etc.... 

All of whom started for there teams and all of whom sucked a lot worse than Drew did this year. 

Again, if JP is our best option I support it.

226019[/snapback]

Well that's no fun, VA.......you're supposed to be one of the arch enemies of the Bledsoe crusade. What are Rico and I going to do with all this rope if you aren't playing along?

Well that's no fun, VA.......you're supposed to be one of the arch enemies of the Bledsoe crusade. What are Rico and I going to do with all this rope if you aren't playing along?

226210[/snapback]

I have been saying the same thing all along, you just haven't listened. Not that it's surprising. Most posters on this board are that way. hell when shittoejam, PF, and ice are your heroes I can understand why it took so long to get through. In reality, I am surprised it ever got through. <_<