Oooooooooooh, it looks sooooooooooo cute - let's take a picture&#3

\GoBillsInDallas/

"I said NO PICTURES!"

Driving in Great Smoky Mountain National Park one day, about 30 years ago, we noticed many cars pulled off to the side of the road. We pulled over to see what was happening. There was a bear in a clearing right off the road and people were taking pictures. So my buddy jumps over the barrier and down to the level where the bear was. He was maybe 15-20 feet from the bear, snapping pictures. The park rangers showed up and ordered everyone away, but my friend decided to snap a couple more shots. It was then we noticed this bear had something attached to it.

The Ranger went on to explain (and not in a nice way) that this bear had a tracking device on because it had wandered into "civilized" parts of the park before. She said something to the effect of, "This bear has caused over $4000 dollars of damage to cars and another $3000 in damage to camp sights...: and so on. My buddy, still taking pictures, turns to her and asks. "You trying to give him the bill?"

Good times.

Odd behavior by the bear, too. It sounds like it was hunting. Bears will usually go out of their way to avoid people.

I'm no authority, but I was under the impression that bears will avoid areas inhabited by humans, but will also hunt & kill humans they encounter in their own environment. I remember way back in my Boy Scout days being told to not bring or use any soap, deodorant, after shave, etc on camping trips because the scent will attract bears. We never camped anywhere that had anything other than the typical eastern black bear, and I never saw one in the wild. As far as Grizzlies are concerned, I always thought that if you saw one in the wild, and it saw you, that you were as good as dead.

I'm no authority, but I was under the impression that bears will avoid areas inhabited by humans, but will also hunt & kill humans they encounter in their own environment. I remember way back in my Boy Scout days being told to not bring or use any soap, deodorant, after shave, etc on camping trips because the scent will attract bears. We never camped anywhere that had anything other than the typical eastern black bear, and I never saw one in the wild. As far as Grizzlies are concerned, I always thought that if you saw one in the wild, and it saw you, that you were as good as dead.

I recall a documentary series from the 1960's/70's, Gentle Ben. I learned bears are friendly and it is safe to let your children hug them.

:rolleyes: