MMQB:The Snow Couldn't stop The Bills, and neither could the Jets

YoloinOhio

Cornerback Ron Brooks was driving home to Hamburg Monday night after a charity event when snow started coming down hard and he lost control of his pickup truck, sliding into a drainage ditch. Unable to back out, he called for a tow, then turned up the heat and fell asleep in his seat. He woke up hours later to tapping on the driver’s side window.

“The next thing I knew a police was knocking on my window,” says the Dallas-born Brooks. “He was like, ‘Are you okay?’ I guess he thought I passed out or something. It took five hours for the truck to come. We were pretty much in a state of disaster.”

Um, no...he thought you were dead from carbon monoxide poisoning. First rule of sheltering from a storm in a car: get out every 15 minutes and clear the tailpipe if you keep the motor running.

Somebody please let Brooks know that.

Um, no...he thought you were dead from carbon monoxide poisoning. First rule of sheltering from a storm in a car: get out every 15 minutes and clear the tailpipe if you keep the motor running.

Somebody please let Brooks know that.

these guys are all from the south. I'm surprised they are still alive.

To get us 6 wins, duh.

but you get what im saying -- weve had the talks on the board on whether a head coach should be doing those 20 hour days. it seems like you could hire a much more robust support team in order to prevent guys from working 16 hour days and get some extra fresh eyes on the film too.

I read an article on Pettine getting his first gig in baltimore and the guy had to cash in his 401k to supplement his salary because it was like half of what he was making as a HS coach ($30k pre tax a believe). it seems like one of those spots teams could really get some talented young minds on their staff at a bargain if they wanted.

So if they did so much film study that they knew by formation what the Jets were gonna do... WHY DON'T THEY DO THAT MUCH FILM STUDY EVERY WEEK???

its possible it was just dumb luck that they picked up on something - but your question definitely goes hand in hand with what i was asking about growing the staff.

Edited by NoSaint

but you get what im saying -- weve had the talks on the board on whether a head coach should be doing those 20 hour days. it seems like you could hire a much more robust support team in order to prevent guys from working 16 hour days and get some extra fresh eyes on the film too.

I read an article on Pettine getting his first gig in baltimore and the guy had to cash in his 401k to supplement his salary because it was like half of what he was making as a HS coach ($30k pre tax a believe). it seems like one of those spots teams could really get some talented young minds on their staff at a bargain if they wanted.

Quality control is about doing more b*tch work than actual gameplanning stuff. Its cutting up the film, making scout team play cards, organizing paperwork, study materials, etc. They get everything ready for the coaches so they don't waste any time with the logistics.

Edited by FluffHead

Quality control is about doing more b*tch work than actual gameplanning stuff. Its cutting up the film, making scout team play cards, organizing paperwork, study materials, etc. They get everything ready for the coaches so they don't waste any time with the logistics.

from what i hear, theres a lot of that but also some pre-scouting too. regardless, its been one of those curiousities ive had about team structure for awhile. would a more robust staff of coaches, scouts, and more give a team an advantage or would it just be too much noise.

for a position like this, instead of giving a guy 30k a year and expecting him to work 16 hr days, what if you were the team that got the best candidates by paying extra, treating them better, etc.... just a random thought. i know at times itd probably be pretty dead.

Edited by NoSaint

from what i hear, theres a lot of that but also some pre-scouting too. regardless, its been one of those curiousities ive had about team structure for awhile. would a more robust staff of coaches, scouts, and more give a team an advantage or would it just be too much noise.

for a position like this, instead of giving a guy 30k a year and expecting him to work 16 hr days, what if you were the team that got the best candidates by paying extra, treating them better, etc.... just a random thought. i know at times itd probably be pretty dead.

sounds like something Pegula would do.

I have been asking this question for years. The salary cap is for players. We know that coaches are paid a ton of money. What about assistants, and assistants to the assistants? I have heard that in recent years the Bills have been spending a little more in this area. I hope that the new owner realizes that this is a huge opportunity to improve the team's readiness on game day.

I also am intrigued by the statements in the MMQB article that the extra time studying game film helped. I wish some of the guys who have played on other teams could comment on the amount of film study done by the Patriots, for example, compared to the Bills. Maybe other teams give their players more homework. Or maybe they have more guys to babysit the players and make sure they study the film. Or maybe they have more guys devoted to breaking down the film so the players know exactly what to study,