Jim Kelly is MRSA Free; Feeding Tube Comes Out Monday

26CornerBlitz

Good news, but is he MRSA free off antibiotics?

True. Nobody knows if he's MRSA free, only time will tell.

Since the docs cleared him, I'll assume it's off abx.

Assuming he was still on abx 2-3 weeks ago, it's too early to tell. MRSA is not like cancel. You don't go looking for it in bone if you don't have to. You'll know if your infection is truly gone when it doesn't reoccur after a certain period of time.

Assuming he was still on abx 2-3 weeks ago, it's too early to tell. MRSA is not like cancel. You don't go looking for it in bone if you don't have to. You'll know if your infection is truly gone when it doesn't reoccur after a certain period of time.

How much of a variable is that?

With cancer, you also don't know if it's gone until you haven't had a recurrence after a certain period of time. But I understand what you're saying.

This is true. That's what I have to tell patients after finishing a course of antibiotics -- basically, the only way to know it's gone for good is to wait and see if it comes back.