Patrick Surtain allowed to seek trade

JP-era

I like it. I think though that the Fins wont trade us straight up. A 3 time pro bowl CB at 28 years old for a 1 time pro bowl alternate at RB doesnt seem to be a fair trade stright up.

Furthermore, Surtain has is in his final year of a contract that pays him $6.15 million in 2005 and has a cap number of $8.383 million. So, a trade would make the fins eat the bonus money but we would still take on 6.15 mil for Surtain and then need to re-sign him next year. If it were to be done, TD would most likely immediatley re-sign him which would drastically lower his cap figure.

I like the move, but I feel McGee is an impressive player who could work out to be a very very good shutdown cover corner at a bargain price. I think if McGee were to remainour starter for next year, we would see a huge improvement and feel very good about him by years end. Remember that he wasnt the starter and didnt get starting snaps until Vincent was injured.

Adding a pro-bowler like Surtain would be huge because a) we would have the best secondary in the league bar none, and b) Clements is set to be a FA in 2006. Who knows what happens with Clements, if he leaves for some reason we can again start Surtain and McGee or other. I like the position we are in by adding Surtain.

The only place this hurts us is inthe draft. We would only end up with 1 2nd rounder. Many here like us getting Nugent and a O-lineman with our 2- 2nd's assuming a TH trade for a pick. But, I cant justify adding another unknown and giving up a shot at a pro-bowl CB like Surtain.

A brief synopsis:

1) Surtain for Henry straight up wont happen, we probably have to kick in something else, maybe even a 3rd rounder. I still think its a smart move

2) Surtain or a 2nd and 3rd round pick, you choose. Thats an easy one for me, Surtain!

3) Surtain or a developing McGee as our starter opposite Clements. Again, easy, Surtain

4) 2006, Clements can leave and we still have Surtain and McGee. Although Id Like to still keep Clements.

Overall, I lovet his move and I think Henry plus our 3rd rounder for Surtain is well worth it.