Advice - Should I cancel trip home for Thanksgivng? Layover in NJ

stevestojan

My flight is on Wednesday out of Norfolk, landing in Newark at 10pm for layover to go to Buffalo and land there around midnight.

As I was just recently there, and flights back on the weekend were very expensive, we decided to fly back Friday afternoon. A quick turnaround trip to see the folks on thanksgiving.

The concern is the weather in Newark. Yes, I've looked at the weather channel, but they are known for fear mongering.

Normally this would be easy. Just go and see what happens. But if it gets canceled when I'm there, they just put you on "the next available flight." If I cancel now, I get $400 of my $800 back (two tickets, my wife and I).

United said they MIGHT offer full refunds starting Wednesday morning if the weather gets VERY bad, but if they don't, that is then out of the cancel window for any $ back.

So, any of you up in NJ, NYC, Philly, etc have a better feel for what's really going to go down on Wednesday/Thursday. I just know, Murphy's law, if I go, I'll get stuck. If I dont, I'll track the flight and it'll be fine.

Never, ever fly through Newark Airport. Absolute worst airport I've even been through. Your luggage will get lost, your flight will be late or delayed, and you will probably get gang-raped walking the dark, smelly hallways on your way to a different terminal where your gate has been changed to.

It's like one of those DirecTV commercials.

My flight is on Wednesday out of Norfolk, landing in Newark at 10pm for layover to go to Buffalo and land there around midnight.

As I was just recently there, and flights back on the weekend were very expensive, we decided to fly back Friday afternoon. A quick turnaround trip to see the folks on thanksgiving.

The concern is the weather in Newark. Yes, I've looked at the weather channel, but they are known for fear mongering.

Normally this would be easy. Just go and see what happens. But if it gets canceled when I'm there, they just put you on "the next available flight." If I cancel now, I get $400 of my $800 back (two tickets, my wife and I).

United said they MIGHT offer full refunds starting Wednesday morning if the weather gets VERY bad, but if they don't, that is then out of the cancel window for any $ back.

So, any of you up in NJ, NYC, Philly, etc have a better feel for what's really going to go down on Wednesday/Thursday. I just know, Murphy's law, if I go, I'll get stuck. If I dont, I'll track the flight and it'll be fine.

Weather Channel? www.weatherunderground.com

Never, ever fly through Newark Airport. Absolute worst airport I've even been through. Your luggage will get lost, your flight will be late or delayed, and you will probably get gang-raped walking the dark, smelly hallways on your way to a different terminal where your gate has been changed to.

At least they make up for the lost luggage and flight delays.

Weather Channel? www.weatherunderground.com

Thanks. They actually have a slightly worse outlook for Newark on Weds.

Who jammed the sunshine up YOUR ass today?

Well, due to the weather in Newark and that entire surrounding area, got a full credit for my flight. So it'll be the wife, me, and the dog for thanksgiving.

800 dollars for "two tickets to paradise"... WTF... ?? Just drive. Just got back from my 500 mile one-way trip and even my old gas hog would save money... Fuel is under 3 bucks a gallon in most areas.

Has nothing to do with the cost, it's the sanity piece. I've driven from Buffalo to Tucson, Tucson to VA Beach, and VB to Buffalo a few times. I decided, despite air travels own headaches, that I will always fly when possible going forward. I just hate long car rides, especially when time frame is tight due to work schedule and driving takes up half the trip.