Marrone playing the sympathy card

Niagara Dude

Please list the 24 coaches that are better than him...on his best day.

1. Harbaugh 1

2. Harbaugh 2

3. Carroll

4. McCoy

5. Arians

6. Tomlin

7. Kelly

8. Mike Pettine

9. McCarthy

10. Reid

11. Belichik

12. Ryan

13. Payton

14. Fisher

15. Smith

16. Coghlin

17. McCarthy

18. Garrett

19. Lewis

20. Fox

21. Philbin

22. Gruden

23. Whisenhunt

I can get to 22 easily. 23 and 24th choice is tough as I don't think the rest are any better than Marrone. Marrone is essentially a bottom tier coach.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Philbin, Gruden, Coughlin, Wisenhunt and Pettine, huh? Yeah, no.

The question wasn't how many coaches can you name, if that's what you thought.

I can name every NFL coach off the top of my head and yes I would take everyone of those guys listed above over Marrone.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Philbin, Gruden, Coughlin, Wisenhunt and Pettine, huh? Yeah, no.

The question wasn't how many coaches can you name, if that's what you thought.

& he answered. You may not like the answer but why quibble? For me Coughlin is definitely better, too new to rate Gruden & Pettine so we'll toss them out. Twenty or so better out of 30 isn't so good in my book.

32nd coach when we have record better than 12 other teams? Okay. Good stuff.

in all fairness, just because we are better than 12 other teams doesn't mean that Marrone is the 20th best coach. Maybe the players are just good enough to compensate.

Personally I tho oniws a terrible coach and want him gone.

the answer to the equation is 20.7. therefore you only need 21 other coaches, not 24. seems someone has done the list for me before the prerequisite number was calculated. thanks.

and i'm not sure the bills are better than 12 other teams. the real measure should be how much x coach has done with y talent. i believe marrone might come out lower than number 22 on this measure.

the answer to the equation is 20.7. therefore you only need 21 other coaches, not 24. seems someone has done the list for me before the prerequisite number was calculated. thanks.

and i'm not sure the bills are better than 12 other teams. the real measure should be how much x coach has done with y talent. i believe marrone might come out lower than number 22 on this measure.

Well, I'm glad you cleared that up. And I'm astonished that you think Ken Wisenhunt et al are better coaches than Marrone and I seriously question how many non-Bills games are watched by the posters who think he's among the league's worst.

So you think it coaches should be evaluated relative to their talent. Perfect. So do I. Where do you rank Kyle Orton among the 32 QB's that started games (or would have started but didn't because of byes) in week 12?

These are the great coaches in this league

Bill Belichick (HOF QB)

Coughlin

Too soon to tell but they are doing great

Arians

Kelly

Good but not great

Andy Reid

Sean Payton (HOF QB)

John Harbaugh

Jim Harbaugh

Pete Carroll

Tomlin (HOF QB)

McCarthy (HOF QB)

And then comes the rest where Marrone is included and you can argue that 2 years is to soon to say he has no business coaching in this league (where many go there for hyperbole)

I would only take 10 coaches before Marrone.

Edited by Fixxxer

These are the great coaches in this league

Bill Belichick (HOF QB)

Coughlin

Too soon to tell but they are doing great

Arians

Kelly

Good but not great

Andy Reid

Sean Payton (HOF QB)

John Harbaugh

Jim Harbaugh

Pete Carroll

Tomlin (HOF QB)

McCarthy (HOF QB)

And then comes the rest where Marrone is included and you can argue that 2 years is to soon to say he has no business coaching in this league (where many go there for hyperbole)

I would only take 10 coaches before Marrone.

Even I would call this generous, but I am curious, how many QB's would you take before Orton?

Even I would call this generous, but I am curious, how many QB's would you take before Orton?

Brady

Rodgers

Brees

Manning (2)

Romo

Roethlisberger

Ryan

Rivers

Luck

Wilson

Not by much but I'll take them

Sttaford

Dalton

A. Smith

Need to see more but I'll take them

Newton

Tannehil

Kaepernick

I would not want

Cutler

Vick

Hoyer

Fitzpatrick

Locker

Sanchez

Griffin III

McCown

Bradford

I would bring a guy like Foles to fight for the staring job next year.

Those who have 2 or less years on the job I left out.

Edited by Fixxxer

Brady

Rodgers

Brees

Manning (2)

Romo

Roethlisberger

Ryan

Rivers

Luck

Wilson

Sttaford

Dalton

A. Smith

Newton

Tannehil

Kaepernick

I would not want

Cutler

Vick

Hoyer

Fitzpatrick

Locker

Sanchez

Griffin III

McCown

Bradford

And that's about what I'd say too. On his best day, may be 18th best QB in the league. On his worst? 25th.

So why anyone is appalled that our coach falls into the same range, that's beyond me.

Again--appalled. Dissatisfied, fine. But calling the guy the worst coach in the league and being totally enraged by the "coaching situation," it makes no sense to me when we're all on board with the woeful hole at the sport's most important position.

Brady

Rodgers

Brees

Manning (2)

Romo

Roethlisberger

Ryan

Rivers

Luck

Wilson

Sttaford

Dalton

A. Smith

Newton

Tannehil

Kaepernick

I would not want

Cutler

Vick

Hoyer

Fitzpatrick

Locker

Sanchez

Griffin III

McCown

Bradford

A more realistic question would be "what QB would you sign/or draft over Orton?" since most of the QBs listed here we ain't getting.

A more realistic question would be "what QB would you sign/or draft over Orton?" since most of the QBs listed here we ain't getting.

I'm not sure that's germane to this discussion.

You know that I'm totally on board with not bitching about who we have at QB without being realistic about the other options available, but that's not really what this is.

Seems like Marrone is playing the sympathy card about being at a disadvantage with the winter storm this week and not playing at home.This guy will do anything to keep his job but win games, hey Marrone maybe if you did not lose big games at home this year against San Diego/NE and KC fans & the media would have given you a pass on this one.If you want to know more about this loser then goggle SYRACUSE FOOTBALL in 2012. Everything fans are complaining about now about Marrone Syracuse fans were complaining back then.

Are you suggesting the Bills aren't losing an advantage by playing a home game in Detroit?

And that's about what I'd say too. On his best day, may be 18th best QB in the league. On his worst? 25th.

So why anyone is appalled that our coach falls into the same range, that's beyond me.

Again--appalled. Dissatisfied, fine. But calling the guy the worst coach in the league and being totally enraged by the "coaching situation," it makes no sense to me when we're all on board with the woeful hole at the sport's most important position.

who used the word appalled? i'm dissatisfied as i have been with our coaching for 15 years. it's time we get someone that would be a consensus candidate for top 1/3 of the league. i don't think marrone is that and other than you and possibly a couple others here, you won't find many that would try to argue that.. perhaps with a new owner we can attract such a candidate. as documented in the polian thread, it wasn't a realistic option with wilson as owner. and no, there's no gaurantee that such a candidate will be wildly successful. but it's a more likely scenario than taking whoever could be coerced to sign when the last owner was around.

who used the word appalled? i'm dissatisfied as i have been with our coaching for 15 years. it's time we get someone that would be a consensus candidate for top 1/3 of the league. i don't think marrone is that and other than you and possibly a couple others here, you won't find many that would try to argue that.. perhaps with a new owner we can attract such a candidate. as documented in the polian thread, it wasn't a realistic option with wilson as owner. and no, there's no gaurantee that such a candidate will be wildly successful. but it's a more likely scenario than taking whoever could be coerced to sign when the last owner was around.

Except you keep dancing around the fact that everyone who wants to argue what a bum Marrone is also conveniently says we're terrible at QB. They can't both be bad and have us at 5-5.

So, I'll ask, again, is there such thing as a top-third coach who doesn't also have a top-third QB? If the answer is 'no,' then why is your ire directed toward Marrone, and why do you insist on his firing?

Except you keep dancing around the fact that everyone who wants to argue what a bum Marrone is also conveniently says we're terrible at QB. They can't both be bad and have us at 5-5.

So, I'll ask, again, is there such thing as a top-third coach who doesn't also have a top-third QB? If the answer is 'no,' then why is your ire directed toward Marrone, and why do you insist on his firing?

do you think russell wilson is a top 3rd qb? do you think seattle wins the sb last year with marrone as coach? i say no to both