it's now clear we should taken beckham and kept our 2015 1st ...

truth on hold

While there is no denying Sammy Watkins great overall talent, it still won't deter comparisons to the other WR's in this year draft until he separates himself from the rest by putting up better numbers

Beckham caught a pass that so many are considering as one of the best ever, as he caught it one handed, behind him, falling backwards. Which easily equals or betters any catch Sammy has made this year.

Then you have Bucs WR Mike Evans currently ranked #1 in yards with 49 rec, 849 yards 8 TD's. This with scrubby #30th ranked Mike Glennon & #32nd ranked Josh McCown throwing to him. Then Kelvin Benjamin is ranked 17th in yards with 52 rec, 768 yards, 8 TD's.

Sammy is ranked #29 in yards, and Odell is ranked #36 in yards. So right now Sammy isn't even ranked as the best rookie WR in this years draft class so far.

This debate on giving up three players to draft one will only increase until Sammy can actually separate himself from the rest of the class.

Your opinion is respected as much as anyone on the topic IMO. You didn't want him but acknowledged him as a dynamic player. FWIW, you have been fair throughout. I still believe that Sammy will be a unique player but at least you aren't MMQBing the topic. Kudos to you

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would trade away Ebron and next years 1st and 4th for Watkins anyday. And that is exactly what we did.

We coulda, woulda, shoulda, had a lot of good players at cheap draft prices in the past. So could every other team. We went out and got exactly who we wanted, and I am extremely happy we actually did that.

Mark my words, we will not remember who cleveland picks up with their extra pick in 5 years. It will be a google moment.

Hind sight is wonderful, we should have won the first SB try against the Giants, we shouldn't have taken flyers on JP and RJ... etc etc. Always easy to criticize with after the fact info.

...Oh and I shouldn't of married my ex-wife...now that's a biggie!

Edited by Mike in Horseheads

Sammy must have been sulking over the game ODB had. That's why he didn't do much tonight.

Defenses are learning how to play him better. They don't jam him at the line because with his powerful upper body he was just brushing off DBs like nothing. And thats how he was getting separation. Now they play the DB soft, 5-7 yards off the line, and cheat the safety inside and behind him. I noticed KC started this, and then Miami and jets did the same with great effect. For Sammy to be open, he really needs to be open. He doesn't have the wingspan of a mike evans, or the leaping ability of a Beckham, which allows the QB to just throw into coverage and let them fight for it.

Edited by JTSP

Defenses are learning how to play him better. They don't jam him at the line because with his powerful upper body he was just brushing off DBs like nothing. And thats how he was getting separation. Now they play the DB soft, 5-7 yards off the line, and cheat the safety inside and behind him. I noticed KC started this, and then Miami and jets did the same with great effect. For Sammy to be open, he really needs to be open. He doesn't have the wingspan of a mike evans, or the leaping ability of a Beckham, which allows the QB to just throw into coverage and let them fight for it.

In a paragraph of ignorance, the bolded is the most hilarious. :lol: :lol:

I think that's a fair analysis of each player. But I'd rank ODB>Evans because of Evans lack of speed.

Mike Evans can shift!! He runs quicker than he looks to be running. It was a knock on him pre-combine people saying he couldn't run, and it is nonsense. I think what goes against Evans so far for me to rank him top of the class (and he was my ideal draft pick pre-draft so I am a fan) is that he is still playing opposite a genuine number 1. Teams are still putting their best guy on Jackson and rolling coverage to his side. Sammy had back to back 100 yard games before the bye and teams have started to treat him as a legitimate number 1 and he is seeing lots of double coverage. ODB has just had a couple of big games - expect the same for him now. If Tampa trades Jackson in the offseason we will get a much clearer picture on Evans next year.

Mike Evans can shift!! He runs quicker than he looks to be running. It was a knock on him pre-combine people saying he couldn't run, and it is nonsense. I think what goes against Evans so far for me to rank him top of the class (and he was my ideal draft pick pre-draft so I am a fan) is that he is still playing opposite a genuine number 1. Teams are still putting their best guy on Jackson and rolling coverage to his side. Sammy had back to back 100 yard games before the bye and teams have started to treat him as a legitimate number 1 and he is seeing lots of double coverage. ODB has just had a couple of big games - expect the same for him now. If Tampa trades Jackson in the offseason we will get a much clearer picture on Evans next year.

Evans also plays in the worst division in professional sports.

Evans also plays in the worst division in professional sports.

Hahaha. Correct.

He has been. Against KC (the first game after the groin injury in practice) they ran him on a reverse. You don't run a reverse to a guy with a bad groin. And that was 3 games ago, he's fine. He's just being defensed differently.

If you think he is 100% you have never had a groin injury.

He has been. Against KC (the first game after the groin injury in practice) they ran him on a reverse. You don't run a reverse to a guy with a bad groin. And that was 3 games ago, he's fine. He's just being defensed differently.

Part of his success week 2 against Miami was they had Chandler running potentially illegal picks on coverage. It was one of the reasons he was open all game. I haven't seen that since that game.

Just keep watching. Woods didn't become Sammy overnight. The coverage changed on Watkins, so Woods became a more viable target. Same thing with AJ Green and Mohammad Sanu. Calvin Johnson and Golden Tate. etc etc etc

If you think he is 100% you have never had a groin injury.

That's an irrelevant standard. Like I said they ran him on a reverse his first game since the injury was reported in practice. He's fine. He's being defended differently. Soft coverage by the DB with support in the slot from the safety. They're giving him the sideline route because they don't think leaping and fighting it is his strength. If bills want to take advantage of this they'd call quick outs to him. Not a big play but pretty much 5-7 yards whenever they want. This is what pats would do until defense changed their coverage.

I don't deny teams are defending him differently. I am not sure I's say he is "fine" though. The groin is one of those horrible nagging injuries that you can play with but takes away explosion.

Edit: should also say that my game was soccer which is a lot less stop start than football. It is very believable to me having played with the injury that Sammy is losing something on the first step and the acceleration off the line and the ability to get in and out of breaks. Running in a straight line once you get going is generally less of an issue so I suspect that has also influenced the plays the Bills have given him.

Edited by GunnerBill

I don't deny teams are defending him differently. I am not sure I's say he is "fine" though. The groin is one of those horrible nagging injuries that you can play with but takes away explosion.

Come on! They ran a reverse to him! Forget what your eyes tell you, or his teammates, or people who cover the team, HE'S FINE! :lol: