it's now clear we should taken beckham and kept our 2015 1st ...

truth on hold

And you are sure ODB doesn't make those plays?

Against Miami, Yes. He was injured the first 4 games. Unless you wanna play the imaginary game of "maybe he doesn't get hurt if he is on the Bills". And probably Detroit as well because he didn't come into his first game as a gang buster.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you are really saying is that plays are made by a team (several individual plays from several players) working in tandem with the rest of the unit throughout a course of a game that leads to wins.

Good grief, I didn't think we need to devolve this far to have this discussion. Yes, teams play the game...are we good now?

One more time: The Bills don't win against Miami, Minnesota, or Detroit without Sammy; that's the point.

It's not casual just because you don't like it. Shelf the insults and keep the discussion to football.

I'm not sure why you refuse to acknowledge the crux of what I'm saying, but I'll say it again: The Bills don't win against Miami, Minnesota, or Detroit without Sammy; that's the point.

Bills blew out miami, its ridiculous to credit sammy with the "win" there.

Bills blew out miami, its ridiculous to credit sammy with the "win" there.

How about that extremely low % kick from carpenter in the detroit game or the 7-11 and chandler catch in the final drive of the minny game. The fact is football games don't come down to one player. We don't win any game without plays being made by 3 units consisting of 11 players each.

here we go with the revisionist histories. Here's some more #1 or #2 overalls for you to revise, and just imagine dropping multiple 1st's for:

Sam Bradford

Jamarcus Russell

Robert Gallery

Charles Rogers

David Carr

Robert Griffin

Its not revisionist history if those sentiments were posted BEFORE the draft. Feel free to dig in the archives and it's right there for you. It's kind of ironic that the MMQB of the conversation is bringing up revisionist history. At any rate I will try to tackle your hand picked guys:

Griffin was worth it. He graded out incredibly high and his game had few holes. Obviously injuries have changed his career and negated his unique skill set.

Bradford had some injury concerns but a solid resume. He missed an entire season in college I think. That would not deter me from selecting him but it would deter me from investing more than my pick. It goes back to the Clowney point. There were questions.

Gallery was a stud coming out but I'd never use 2 1sts on a guy unless he scores TDs or prevents them. The Bill Polian theory if you will. If the guy isn't an elite skill player or a pass rusher he wouldn't be worth more than my pick. Again, you can see all of this posted before the draft.

I wouldn't have touched Jamarcus Russell with a 10 foot pole. He added like 40 lbs before the draft. I wouldn't have used any picks on him.

Carr is interesting. He was a good player and went to a franchise starting up. I don't think that they could afford to use more than a 1st on him. He was beaten up horribly early in his career. I actually like Harrington a little more but don't think that I would have used 2 1sts on either (but I guess this one is possible).

I loved Charles Rogers coming out. I may have done this as well but I would have had some concerns about a guy with multiple kids before leaving high school.

Some others that I would have made the move up for over the last 5 years: AJ Green, Von Miller, Julio Jones, Mack, Watkins, Suh, Spiller, Crabtree, Aaron Curry, RGIII, Luck and Trent Richardson.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

How about that extremely low % kick from carpenter in the detroit game or the 7-11 and chandler catch in the final drive of the minny game. The fact is football games don't come down to one player. We don't win any game without plays being made by 3 units consisting of 11 players each.

I agree and when you're talking blowout like miami its even more ridiculous. Watkins didn't even lead in total yards, spiller did including the dramatic kick off return that stifled miami's momentum

Edited by JTSP

Wanna bet who gets more targets for the rest of the year?

You asked why Jackson was the #1 WR, and I answered. You didn't ask who was going to be their #1 WR in the future. In all likelihood it'll be Evans, since they're probably moving on from Jackson after this season (there was trade talk all off-season as well).

I agree and when you're talking blowout like miami its even more ridiculous. Watkins didn't even lead in total yards, spiller did including the dramatic kick off return that stifled miami's momentum

Considering how dominate our defensive unit has been this year in pretty much every game, assigning wins to individual players is even more rediculous. Using that same rational we would have one less win without Chris Hogan and Scott Chandler and Sammy wouldn't have been responsible for that 3rd win. Really? Really!?!

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Considering how dominate our defensive unit has been this year in pretty much every game, assigning wins to individual players is even more rediculous. Using that same rational we would have one less win without Chris Hogan and Scott Chandler and Sammy wouldn't have been responsible for that 3rd win. Really? Really!?!

So what you are saying is we can cut Dareus, Mario, Kiko, Sammy, FJ ETC, but as long as this team plays together, they should win (Given they have good QB play)

You have a gift for conflating rationale...I'll give you that.

The point of this entire discussion, at least if I'm reading the original post in the thread correctly, was that moving up for Sammy was a mistake because the team could've just picked Beckham and had the same (or better) results.

My point is quite simple: without Sammy, they don't win 3 of the 5 games they've won. Can we say that the results would be the same with Beckham? No, no we cannot (at least not without wild levels of speculation).

What is so confusing here?

I don't disagree and don't think that I buy it. I'm of the philosophy that there are lots of way to build a roster. Obviously having a franchise QB helps but they are tough to come by. By my calculation less than 1/3 of the league has them.

You need to make the most of your resources though. Every time you pick a Kuoandjio, Troupe, Maybin or McCargo you are squandering a very valuable resource. The same can be said for making Derrick Dockery the highest paid lineman in the game.

You only have so many valuable resources (high picks & big contracts) that you better be sure that you are right when using them. This holds especially true if you are a few steps away. Even if it costs you double the valuable resources (Sammy or Mario) at the end of the day your team is better off with those guys on the roster. It cuts your margin for error elsewhere but if you raise your "hit %" who cares? The problems arise when you swing and miss with a valuable resource.

interesting stat. Defense is huge!

@theMMQB: When Lions went 4-12 In 2012, Matthew Stafford was 59.8% passer w/ +3 TD/INT ratio. In '14, he's 58.8% w/ +3 TD/INT. http://t.co/qbvOzqHBIj

So what you are saying is we can cut Dareus, Mario, Kiko, Sammy, FJ ETC, but as long as this team plays together, they should win (Given they have good QB play)

No, you can't say that, because that would be assigning responsibility to one player, which apparently is "rediculous" (which I think is similar to "ridiculous", but cannot say for certain)

My point is quite simple: without Sammy, they don't win 3 of the 5 games they've won. Can we say that the results would be the same with Beckham? No, no we cannot (at least not without wild levels of speculation).

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” - C. Hitchens

The evidence to the contrary (what would the bills be with Beckham) doesn't exist. It's a silly point to make.

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” - C. Hitchens

The evidence to the contrary (what would the bills be with Beckham) doesn't exist. It's a silly point to make.

So again, Did you want Beckham this entire time, going back to before the draft?