it's now clear we should taken beckham and kept our 2015 1st ...

truth on hold

You asked why Jackson was the #1 WR, and I answered. You didn't ask who was going to be their #1 WR in the future. In all likelihood it'll be Evans, since they're probably moving on from Jackson after this season (there was trade talk all off-season as well).

Fair enough, but the original proposition was that Evans projected as a no. 2

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here we go with the revisionist histories. Here's some more #1 or #2 overalls for you to revise, and just imagine dropping multiple 1st's for:

Sam Bradford

Jamarcus Russell

Robert Gallery

Charles Rogers

David Carr

Robert Griffin

ryan leaf having character concerns is hardly revisionist history. and just because a team took the chance, doesnt mean that kirby would have. really, a silly counter argument. Jamarcus Russell was not the type of guy you should bet the house on, sammy watkins is a much safer bet while still having high returns.

This is not looking like a strong draft , let's see who cleveland takes and how everyone's career plays out before making knee jerk predictions

very true. But I don't think it matters who Cleveland takes with that pick. Bills may not have made same pick. I think the trade is overly dramatized. The Bills have had a mid to high First rd pick for the last 14 yrs and have gone nowhere. They had the ability to get a game changing player. Those are not available in every draft. Outside of QB, whatever they would have taken in the 1st they can buy in FA. The team needs more vets as it is, being a very young team. There would not have been a sure thing QB where they would be drafting in the 1st as it is. Edited by YoloinOhio

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” - C. Hitchens

The evidence to the contrary (what would the bills be with Beckham) doesn't exist. It's a silly point to make.

Except that I never asserted that the results would be different with Beckham; others did that. I said that we cannot say that the results would be the same.

I only ever asserted that which can be supported by evidence: the Bills would not have 3 of their 5 wins without Sammy. Very, very, very simple concept that even the most eloquent of quotes cannot dismiss.

If you want to introduce evidence on the Beckham side of the discussion, let's start here (for the 4th or 5th time): what games have the Giants won this year with Beckham that they would not have won without his contributions?

Fair enough, but the original proposition was that Evans projected as a no. 2

I believe he meant as a rookie; not certain though.

Well let's see. Beckham has a quarter back that has some years in the league, has won two super bowls, and is a Manning.

Watkins started out with EJ, and now has a qb who wasn't at camp.

Edit: I know Eli isn't Peyton, but I'm trying to make a point.

Eli has won two Superbowls..........Payton one.....yep, he isn't Payton....

Except that I never asserted that the results would be different with Beckham; others did that. I said that we cannot say that the results would be the same.

I only ever asserted that which can be supported by evidence: the Bills would not have 3 of their 5 wins without Sammy. Very, very, very simple concept that even the most eloquent of quotes cannot dismiss.

If you want to introduce evidence on the Beckham side of the discussion, let's start here (for the 4th or 5th time): what games have the Giants won this year with Beckham that they would not have won without his contributions?

I believe he meant as a rookie; not certain though.

my understanding is that is where they saw Evans being most productive in the NFL, beyond his rookie yr. As a #2 WR.

You have a gift for conflating rationale...I'll give you that.

The point of this entire discussion, at least if I'm reading the original post in the thread correctly, was that moving up for Sammy was a mistake because the team could've just picked Beckham and had the same (or better) results.

My point is quite simple: without Sammy, they don't win 3 of the 5 games they've won. Can we say that the results would be the same with Beckham? No, no we cannot (at least not without wild levels of speculation).

What is so confusing here?

If Sammy isn't there, perhaps the game plans would have been different with the same results. You can say Sammy helped them win, but you can't say they wouldn't have won without him. Butterfly effect.

And big picture, even if they lost those games would they be better off long term, with a different young WR or TE, and the chance at another high 1st round pick to get a QB. They're not making the playoffs anyways. The "Sammy will make EJ better" experiment failed.

Except your assertion can be said about a dozen other players in those wins.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

If Sammy isn't there, perhaps the game plans would have been different with the same results. You can say Sammy helped them win, but you can't say they wouldn't have won without him. Butterfly effect.

And big picture, even if they lost those games would they be better off long term, with a different young WR or TE, and the chance at another high 1st round pick to get a QB. They're not making the playoffs anyways. The "Sammy will make EJ better" experiment failed.

That facet of the pick definitely fell flat on its face; no question.

There was far more to the Sammy pick than that one point though--the guy is going to be a top-end WR for a long time. He'll be a cornerstone of the offense, and will be a QB's best friend. I've always felt that getting a superstar playmaker and finding a franchise QB are mutually exclusive. You need to do both; just because you fail at one doesn't mean that doing the other is misguided.

Except your assertion can be said about a dozen other players in those wins.

And if this thread were about the other dozen players that might be worth mentioning.

Edited by thebandit27

There was far more to the Sammy pick than that one point though--the guy is going to be a top-end WR for a long time. He'll be a cornerstone of the offense, and will be a QB's best friend. I've always felt that getting a superstar playmaker and finding a franchise QB are mutually exclusive. You need to do both; just because you fail at one doesn't mean that doing the other is misguided.

And if this thread were about the other dozen players that might be worth mentioning.

And sammy doesn't get assigned that "win" without those other players. Sammy didn't win anything. The team did.

There was far more to the Sammy pick than that one point though--the guy is going to be a top-end WR for a long time. He'll be a cornerstone of the offense, and will be a QB's best friend. I've always felt that getting a superstar playmaker and finding a franchise QB are mutually exclusive. You need to do both; just because you fail at one doesn't mean that doing the other is misguided..

If anything it could entice FA QB's or players to come here knowing a player like Watkins is on the roster.

And sammy doesn't get assigned that "win" without those other players. Sammy didn't win anything. The team did.

Back to debating semantics I see...cool.

I gather from your position in this thread that the players actually don't matter at all. A team is simply a construct; ambiguous and unidentifiable. We can remove Tom Brady from the Patriots and Jamaal Charles from the Chiefs and the teams stay exactly the same. Those guys don't matter--only the logo on the helmet does the winning and losing.

Here is the way I look at it.

Here in Atlanta the Falcons are in first place with a losing record. They do not care, they see their team struggling but all they keep saying is just get in and you never know.

In Buffalo they draft what will possibly the best player they have had in a very very long time yet people want to question the decision because there is a guy that has numbers that are close to him.