Nick Foles might be available for trade

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No way is that true. Although Foles had a great season last year, his track record is very limited. Rightly or wrongly, many view him as a system QB. And if the Eagles are willing to part ways with Foles--despite having no notable QB prospects in the pipeline--then it is a clear signal to the rest of the league that they don't think much of him. If they are truly ready to move on from Foles, the Eagles will probably try to get a second rounder for him, but would be happy with a mid-third rounder, or less.

I've seen 1st rounders shipped out for much bigger question marks - over and over. As for Kelly shipping him out for nothing - if it happens, it will be for the same reason why many college-to-NFL coaches fail - ego. These coaches are used to walking on water and think they can in the NFL too. What's worse is that Kelly had a winning season his 1st year - inflating his ego even more. Truth is, he hasn't been around the NFL long enough to know how hard it is to win the NFL, especially without a QB. This isn't college where you can just plug in the next guy up and continue winning.

This is perhaps why I don't believe this story; it would be incredibly stupid to part ways with a starting QB with really no one else on the team to fill the void. Even if he were to draft one in the 1st next Spring, you never send a starting QB packing (the Bills being the most recent example if this).

As for the Bills, if they have Foles playing the way he is this year, they'd be in the playoff hunt. If they have Foles of last year, they're heading to the Super Bowl. Either scenario, I take the gamble.

Edited by Saint Doug

I've seen 1st rounders shipped out for much bigger question marks - over and over. As for Kelly shipping him out for nothing - if it happens, it will be for the same reason why many college-to-NFL coaches fail - ego. These coaches are used to walking on water and think they can in the NFL too. What's worse is that Kelly had a winning season his 1st year - inflating his ego even more. Truth is, he hasn't been around the NFL long enough to know how hard it is to win the NFL, especially without a QB. This isn't college where you can just plug in the next guy up and continue winning.

This is perhaps why I don't believe this story; it would be incredibly stupid to part ways with a starting QB with really no one else on the team to fill the void. Even if he were to draft one in the 1st next Spring, you never send a starting QB packing (the Bills being the most recent example if this).

As for the Bills, if they have Foles playing the way he is this year, they'd be in the playoff hunt. If they have Foles of last year, they're heading to the Super Bowl. Either scenario, I take the gamble.

I agree that it would be foolish for the Eagles to get rid of Foles without having a viable replacement, which I don't really think they have unless Sanchez somehow comes back from the dead or unless they can trade up in the draft to pick Mariota. But Foles was not particularly highly regarded coming out of college and has had one good year as a pro. I have not seen him play much this year, but I understand he has played poorly, despite the Eagles' record. If the Eagles decide they have seen enough of him and want to move on, I can't see another team giving a first round pick for him especially with only one year left on his rookie contract; in fact, the Eagles would be lucky to get a second for him. Foles is not as accomplished as Alex Smith was when the 49ers put him on the market, and they were unable to get a first for him.

What games have you been watching? The QB is the only reason we are 5-5.

We would be lucky to trot out Foles compared to Mr. Mediocre

Haha - maybe not his last two granted. But Orton's first 4 games were better than what Foles has produced this season. Last season is a different story. ]

And I think mediocre is being kind to Orton.

Nick Foles isnt very smart, he's inaccurate, he's a turnover machine, he's not good in crunch time and he has no mobility. I'm surprised so many fans here want Nick Foles. I think they look at those eye popping stats from 2013 and think that that's who Foles is when it was more a product of NFL teams not being familiar with Kelly's system. Now that NFL teams know the deal and they know Foles is a statue, his numbers have plummeted. His turnovers shot way up. His mistakes and misfires come with regularity. Not sure why people don't see that.

As for EJ Manuel, I'd rather keep him over Foles because I know that after seeing Foles' 28 games started, he isn't a true NFL starting QB, while I think that Manuel still has the potential to become one given his high ceiling potential. EJ's body of work is too small for anyone to come to a definitive conclusion on him. Having said that, I think chances are that Manuel will probably not be able to clear that high bar of the Bills needing a top 10 QB either. The Bills need to aim much hire than Foles when they sign or trade for a QB to compete with Manuel.

Do not agree with your assessment of Foles.

We've seen enough of EJ.

It is still a no brainer trade for the Bills.

I'm shocked that people think Foles is going to be traded. Yes, he's had a bit of a down year, but that's part of the bumps in the road that make a young QB grow. No one, not even Foles, thought that he was going to replicate his TD:INT ratio from last year, and that was before they let Desean Jackson go.

What I keep being reminded of on Philly radio is that with Foles, their only losses were against the 49ers and the Cardinals, both played on the road in the west coast, with each game coming down the the wire.

Meanwhile, Sanchez came in to finish off Foles job against the Texans, beat up on two bad teams (Titans and a hobbled Cam Newton) and got steamrolled by Packers.

Foles is the guy when he comes back from injury.

He wasn't playing well this year though was he? And Kelly has already demonstrated with Desean that if he decides you are expendable the you're out. I suppose when you step back and look at it more objectively it would be odd if they gave up on him. The book on him is essentially some struggles playing some dead rubbers as a rookie, a really good performance in his first season as the majority starter (what did Vick start? 2 or 3 games?) and then a bit of a down spell in the first 8 games of his first season as the unquestioned starter. I'd be furious if the Bills gave up on someone in those circumstances. The stories have come out of somewhere though haven't they?

You guys know our starting QB right now is Kyle Orton right?

I would get Foles here if we could. I doubt the Eagles trade him though. Ej and a third would be a steal for the eagles. For all of EJ's problems, he's still a big strong kid with NFL experience.

I think its far more likely EJ wins the job in camp next year, then Foles being a Bill

True. But you don't improve your situation by adding guys to the roster who can't play. You just dig your hole deeper.