Mike Lodish on Bills SB's vs. Broncos' SB's (link)

Wiz

PFW

This is a pretty good interview with Mike Lodish. He's pretty much right on on his evaluations of Bills' first, second and fourth Super Bowl performances. Although the third, I think we just got whipped.

Giants 20, Bills 19 (Super Bowl XXV, Jan. 27, 1991) — “It was very patriotic that year with the Gulf War, and, of course Whitney Houston singing the national anthem brought tears to everybody’s eyes in the stadium. We beat ourselves in the first one. We were on defense in the third quarter for 12 minutes out of 15. It shouldn’t have come down to Scott Norwood kicking that field goal. As a team, we put him in a bad position. But then again, at 47 yards in the Super Bowl, he gets paid to kick balls, too. But I truly feel it was something as a team that we let Scott down more than he let us down. … The first one hurt the most. We were a better football team than the Giants. I think personnel-wise, we were the better football team. But on that day, they played better than us and they deserved to win the game.

Redskins 37, Bills 24 (Super Bowl XXVI, Jan. 26, 1992) — “The Redskins dominated us. We had no business playing on the field with them. … You knew you weren’t as good, and it was kind of embarrassing. It was like, ‘Wow, are we this bad? Is the AFC this bad?’ ”

Cowboys 52, Bills 17 (Super Bowl XXVII, Jan. 31, 1993)

Cowboys 30, Bills 13 (Super Bowl XXVIII, Jan. 30, 1994) — “Once we got to the third one, we were like, ‘OK, third time’s the charm.’ And when we lost, you couldn’t get mad anymore. (I mean) how many chances do you want? Even though the score was indicative of getting your ass whipped against the Cowboys both years, we whipped our own ass. We just turned the ball over. It was frustration — ‘we’re killing ourselves.’ We thought we were good, we could beat this team and show America that the Bills are for real … and we beat ourselves.”

I have a problem calling the Bills a "dynasty" when they didn't win a SB during those years. Maybe an "AFC dynasty," but that's about it. And as for the 3rd SB, Jimbo getting hurt early killed the Bills' chances, but it would have likely been a loss even if he played the whole game. For all the people harping on Drew's play, Jimbo came up REAL SMALL in the SB, and stayed out all night (morning) prior to the game, which pisses me off!