OT--Pope hospitalized

Corp000085

I wish nothing but the best for him. But it's time for him to step aside.

225608[/snapback]

Doesn't generally happen.

He's nearly the longest lived in office though - certainly in the modern era.

He's a remarkable human being.

To think he was not only lucky enough to escape Hitler's rampage and lived to stick his Catholic thumb in the eye of the "Evil Empire," but he lived to tell about it. Without question, he helped embolden Solidarity to challenge the legitamacy of the Ruskie's brand of totalitarianism.

I'm not Catholic, but I respect the man and what he has accomplished in his life.

Doesn't generally happen.

He's nearly the longest lived in office though - certainly in the modern era.

He's a remarkable human being.

To think he was not only lucky enough to escape Hitler's rampage and lived to stick his Catholic thumb in the eye of the "Evil Empire," but he lived to tell about it. Without question, he helped embolden Solidarity to challenge the legitamacy of the Ruskie's brand of totalitarianism.

I'm not Catholic, but I respect the man and what he has accomplished in his life.

225651[/snapback]

You're right. But it's a new problem facing the Catholic Church. With the average lifespan expanding and modern medicine able to prolong life, Popes are able to live (and thus serve) longer.

Without an instrument in place to force a Pope to step down (once his mental capacity wanes), you could potentially end up with a mentally incapacitated Pope. The reason is the people surrounding the Pope don't want to relinquish the power. Pope John Paul is a great Pope, but his condition has worsened to such an extent that he is hardly capable of performing his duties.

Rumor has it, the JP's successor will be an older Cardinal (I forget his name, VERY conservative) who will take power with only one mandate, to implement an age limit for Pope's, then step down once he reaches it (he is already close to it I guess).

I dunno, I just hate seeing the Pope in this condition

Pope John Paul II is a great man. My prayers are with him. He was quite the athlete. He was an excellent skiier until his knees could not handle it. He is super intelligent and speaks 8 languages fluently. I read Angels and Demons by Dan Brown which I thought was a great book. It really goes into detail about the process when new Pope is elected. How they are locked in until a decision is made. Very interesting. I will be in Rome Feb 21, 22, 23 and look very much forward to seeing the Vatican.

Rumor has it, the JP's successor will be an older Cardinal (I forget his name, VERY conservative)

So, you think that the bills will cut Drew, jp will retire, and emmitt's announcement will be that he's changing positions from RB to QB and signing a long term deal with the bills?

So, you think that the bills will cut Drew, jp will retire, and emmitt's announcement will be that he's changing positions from RB to QB and signing a long term deal with the bills?

225855[/snapback]

:w00t: I walked right into that one, didn't I :doh: