NBC Nightly news

dib

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we forgetting the evil practice of tenure fellows?

Evil? EVIL!?! You must be a commufacisterrorst.

Tenure is a necessary protection so that these poor overpaid, underworked educators have guaranteed jobs for life, no matter how much they suck at what they do.

Evil? EVIL!?! You must be a commufacisterrorst.

Tenure is a necessary protection so that these poor overpaid, underworked educators have guaranteed jobs for life, no matter how much they suck at what they do.

Observe the Shoutbox. One poster religiously posts between 8:00am and 2:15pm Monday thru Friday (except on holidays) but never in the Summer. Our tax dollars at work!

It's tough making an average of ~$56,000 per year to work <6 hours per day 180 170 days per year. They need more money than these slave wages!

Fixed. Unless you're trying to screw those underpaid public servants out of their sick day entitlement.

p.s. CFOs are underpaid too!!

From my vantage point (former teacher, HS principal, district Superintendent) many teachers are true professionals; others, however, are the sources of the most negative stereotypes of teachers. National, state and local teacher unions embarrass the hard working teachers and provide cover for the dregs of the profession. For example, I once had a teacher tell me (HS Principal at the time) that his union negotiated long and hard for his benefits and it was his duty to take every sick day, personal day, bereavement day available (and every other benefit) each year to show his support for the union's hard work on his behalf.

From my vantage point (former teacher, HS principal, district Superintendent) many teachers are true professionals; others, however, are the sources of the most negative stereotypes of teachers. National, state and local teacher unions embarrass the hard working teachers and provide cover for the dregs of the profession. For example, I once had a teacher tell me (HS Principal at the time) that his union negotiated long and hard for his benefits and it was his duty to take every sick day, personal day, bereavement day available (and every other benefit) each year to show his support for the union's hard work on his behalf.

How many days was that?

Chef, it was (and this was over twenty-five years ago!) eleven sick days, two personal days, three bereavement days. I have no clue what the totals are today, nor do I want to know! I will never forget his comment at the end of the meeting; something to the effect that he didn't leave any paychecks at the end of the year, so he certainly wasn't going to leave any other negotiated benefits either. We were meeting in what I'd call an "are-you-in-the-right-profession" meeting at the end of the year. I kept trying to redirect him to consider the impact his absences had on his students (high school social studies); he kept trying to figure out what planet I was from.

Chef, it was (and this was over twenty-five years ago!) eleven sick days, two personal days, three bereavement days. I have no clue what the totals are today, nor do I want to know! I will never forget his comment at the end of the meeting; something to the effect that he didn't leave any paychecks at the end of the year, so he certainly wasn't going to leave any other negotiated benefits either. We were meeting in what I'd call an "are-you-in-the-right-profession" meeting at the end of the year. I kept trying to redirect him to consider the impact his absences had on his students (high school social studies); he kept trying to figure out what planet I was from.

Uranus? :bag:

My wife just found out she had a week of vacation time left. I asked if she wantes to take a week off during Christmas. She said no, she wanted the money.