NBC Nightly news

dib

Just reported that 1:30 american children are homeless. Followed by a story that Carlos Stanton will be making 68,000$ a day after signing his Marlins contract. WTF is wrong with this country?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are countless executives in business who have multi-million dollar salaries. The top CEO in the country this year will make over 130 in total compensation....in one year. Basically, if someone is born with a naturally high IQ, and uses that to their advantage, we applaud that.

Yet just because someone is born with natural athletic talent, busts their ass, and makes 350 million, they are somehow villanized.

The wife and I saw a billboard yesterday that said something like:

The minimum wage is $9.00 per hour. The average CEO makes $8,000 per hour

I said "what the was the point of that?" She said "become a CEO."

Good point. :thumbsup:

One of my biggest pet peeves with the minimum wage argument. I realize some people make bad choices and that minimum wage probably isn't enough to live on, but if you don't like it, make yourself worth more.

One of my biggest pet peeves with the minimum wage argument. I realize some people make bad choices and that minimum wage probably isn't enough to live on, but if you don't like it, make yourself worth more.

As bad as it sounds because with teh economy its not always easy for everyone to get a decent job to live off of, Minimum wage positions are not supposed to be careers that you can use to live off of. You shouldn't be going to work at McDonalds as a fry cook as your career. They are supposed to be jobs for students to earn money while in school, or as a second income to a household, or as a way to earn some extra money. But unfortunately today there are many who have no choice but to try an live off a minimum wage position because theres no other jobs to be found.

As bad as it sounds because with teh economy its not always easy for everyone to get a decent job to live off of, Minimum wage positions are not supposed to be careers that you can use to live off of. You shouldn't be going to work at McDonalds as a fry cook as your career. They are supposed to be jobs for students to earn money while in school, or as a second income to a household, or as a way to earn some extra money. But unfortunately today there are many who have no choice but to try an live off a minimum wage position because theres no other jobs to be found.

Bull crap.

There are countless executives in business who have multi-million dollar salaries. The top CEO in the country this year will make over 130 in total compensation....in one year. Basically, if someone is born with a naturally high IQ, and uses that to their advantage, we applaud that.

Yet just because someone is born with natural athletic talent, busts their ass, and makes 350 million, they are somehow villanized.

Sure, many of us wouldn't complain if a brain surgeon was making $350 million over 13 years, but most CEOs are rocket scientist and the 'naturally high IQ' that you say they have is that they know how to play the business game and weasel their way up the ladder using others to move up the ladder. What does the CEO of a company do that deserves more then someone who cures diseases or saves lives? As for someone being born with the ability to hit a ball hard, throw it fast at a target, catch and run with a large ball or skate on ice and shoot a piece of rubber, why does that mean the person should be entitled to salaries of millions of dollars? Whats the positive that they bring to day to day society?

Bull crap.

When was the last time you were young and looking for a job in todays job market?

Easy to say sitting in your ivory tower that good jobs are plentiful and easy to obtain

When was the last time you were young and looking for a job in todays job market?

Easy to say sitting in your ivory tower that good jobs are plentiful and easy to obtain

Well seeing you're only young once it would have been during the recession of the early 80's when unemployment was higher that it is now. That's when I graduated college with an associates degree in culinary arts and worked my ass off because I wanted to make something of myself. That's how I got to my ivory tower. Not by bitching about minimum wage and making excuses. Minimum wage is not a living wage because as has been mentioned it's not designed as such. Hence the term minimum.

A buddy and I have grabbed ice tea or coffee from mcdonalds just about every day for about 5 years.

It is interesting to see the really motivated, polite, and attentive workers. Those workers quickly rise to the top and then we hear are gone, off to bigger and better jobs--sometimes to college, etc.

The workers who are terrible and provide unfriendly customer service get stuck on the line and have been there for 5 years, going nowhere.

If you do your min wage job well, you will inevitably get more and better opportunities.

And the rest are inevitably being held down by da man.

because theres no other jobs to be found.

Move to NC. The county in which I live is the second lowest paying county in the state thanks to, well, bureaucracy and good ol' boy politics. Either way, anyone in this county can find a job tomorrow for $8/hr. Most could get a job for $10/hr. If you can drive a forklift or speak Spanish you'll make $12. Like, tomorrow.

Yet, people say there are no jobs here because they do not want to be at the bottom of the totem pole. My first job down here was amazing. I was a college drop out and started at $7.75/hr pushing a dolly. In less then a year I was over $14/hr and running the entire shipping department for La Z Boy. By the time we closed I was running the entire warehouse in less then 3 years. LaZBoy bought Pennyslvania House for $300mm and sold the name off to another producer for like $4mm.

Just reported that 1:30 american children are homeless. Followed by a story that Carlos Stanton will be making 68,000$ a day after signing his Marlins contract. WTF is wrong with this country?

I must have missed something. How many of those kids did Carlos Stanton put on the street?

I didn't see the report but what do they consider homeless? I Living in an extended stay waiting for a new house to close escrow? Living with friends while a house is repaired from flood damage? If that's the case the young daughter of a friend of mine who probably makes $250-300k was homeless several months last year.

A buddy and I have grabbed ice tea or coffee from mcdonalds just about every day for about 5 years.

It is interesting to see the really motivated, polite, and attentive workers. Those workers quickly rise to the top and then we hear are gone, off to bigger and better jobs--sometimes to college, etc.

The workers who are terrible and provide unfriendly customer service get stuck on the line and have been there for 5 years, going nowhere.

If you do your min wage job well, you will inevitably get more and better opportunities.

Yup. Every time I have this discussion this subject comes up. If you're a long time minimum wage earner, you're most likely right where you deserve to be.

I've seen CEO's brought in to improve the companies profits and fail in a short time. 6 months after he was hired he got a $10 mil bonus parting gift.

So?