Mike Carey

YoloinOhio

Their reason - and it's not a bad one - is that they don't want to throw the flag and make the call when the call's not reviewable.

The problem - and it's very real - is that if you only think that maybe you saw it, and have to talk it over before you're sure, than just maybe it's ambiguous enough that it shouldn't be called. Judgement calls, the officials should be quick to throw the flag, because they should only throw it when it's unambiguous. They should throw that flag rarely, of course...but be quick to do it when they do, because it should be a sure thing.

I think this is true of almost any call...things like whether a receiver got both feet in bounds on a catch. They have become less decisive over the past few years and wait to confirm with another official before they make ANY call. It's as if they're afraid to get it wrong, yet they have replay to verify it. I don't get it...just make a call (as as you know it can be reviewed) and then figure out if it's right.

You should have seen Carey a few weeks ago on Inside the NFL. He got taken to task a bit by Ed Reed and Brandon Marshall. Carey actually said that a play can be over before the whistle sounds prompting both former players to remind him that they are coached to play UNTIL THE WHISTLE SOUNDS...he's an idiot, and embarrassment to the NFL on the broadcasts, and if that's how most of these officials thnk during games, no wonder soooo many calls get blown weekly. Jim Nance essentially showed him up last night on the TD call, the safety and the bogus PI call. Odds are if the NFL ever made more judgement calls challengeable the official would REALLY be exposed for their ineptnes.

I remember when people were complaining about the replacement refs. I was fine with them. I thought the criticism was way overboard.

The one thing I liked about them was that it did not appear they were playing favorites. They were just trying to do the best they could.

I remember when people were complaining about the replacement refs. I was fine with them. I thought the criticism was way overboard.

The one thing I liked about them was that it did not appear they were playing favorites. They were just trying to do the best they could.

there was nothing wrong the replacement refs calls.

They just struggled with pace of the game and dealing with HCes.

Yes they clearly were calling a consistent game imo and ironically they were criticized for calling too many offense PI and defensive illegal contact calls ( which are now "emphasized")

I enjoyed that, too. I can accept honest error, but not the nitpicky arrogance of self-important blowhards (no need to point the irony out, anyone).

I also took note that the Patriots struggled under those officials...

I always get the distinct sense from Carey that he's more interested in defending the call than truly explaining it.

I've had this sense all season long. If I'm not mistaken, they never went to him for a comment on the PI call against Gilmore, probably because he would have had to say the refs were wrong. And if he won't do it on CBS, he certainly won't do it on the NFL Network.

I always thought Carey was one of the worst head officials in the league who never sounded comfortable speaking so yeah, let's hear his wisdom every game

I have to disagree on this. I always enjoyed Carey when he was reffing. It was clear that he practiced his dance moves in front of a mirror, and he was so cool to watch.

Reminds me of the old National League umpire, Dutch Rennert. Here's some video:

Dutch was so good he had a different move for calling a strike on lefties or righties.

And this, for fun:

Edited by Bills Fan since '64

After the safety, the Bills got the ball back when Landry fumbled the free kick. The football gods were looking out for us, but Marrone and Hackett were too afraid to accept the gift.

I don't think I've ever witnessed an offensive staff so apprehensive when they get a turnover. Its like they think OMG, we might give it right back to them.

Most offensive staffs go right for the throat after a turnover with a deep pass, big play. Mostly because the opposing team is reeling in despair over that turnover, and they tend to make mistakes right after.

They were awesome, they called it like they saw it, no favorites no BS. They got it wrong at times but it was refreshing from the status quo. It was an embarrassment the harassment they received from the media and coaches.

oh and Carey is a puppet, him and the other guy from FOX add nothing to football.

Edited by Fixxxer

I don't think I've ever witnessed an offensive staff so apprehensive when they get a turnover. Its like they think OMG, we might give it right back to them.

Most offensive staffs go right for the throat after a turnover with a deep pass, big play. Mostly because the opposing team is reeling in despair over that turnover, and they tend to make mistakes right after.

They tried to go deep after the turnover. Let's stick with the facts.

They tried to go deep after the turnover. Let's stick with the facts.

Miami Dolphins at 01:03

6-C.Schmidt kicks 62 yards from BUF 20 to MIA 18. 14-J.Landry to MIA 39 for 21 yards (25-D.Searcy, 53-N.Bradham). FUMBLES (25-D.Searcy), RECOVERED by BUF-37-N.Robey at MIA 39. The Replay Official challenged the fumble ruling, and the play was Upheld. The ruling on the field was confirmed.

Buffalo Bills at 00:57

1. 1-10-MIA 39 (:57) (Shotgun) 18-K.Orton pass short right to 35-B.Brown pushed ob at MIA 28 for 11 yards (53-J.Jenkins).

2. 1-10-MIA 28 (:27) (Shotgun) 18-K.Orton pass incomplete short middle to 15-C.Hogan (25-L.Delmas).

3. 2-10-MIA 28 (:27) 35-B.Brown right tackle to MIA 29 for -1 yards.

4. 3-11-MIA 29 (15:00) (Shotgun) 18-K.Orton pass incomplete short left to 35-B.Brown.

5. 4-11-MIA 29 (14:57) 2-D.Carpenter 47 yard field goal is No Good, Wide Left, Center-65-G.Sanborn, Holder-6-C.Schmidt.

They did?

I distinctly remember them successfully connecting on a deep shot to Sammy after a McKelvin int in the Minnesota game, but not in the TNF game.

Minnesota Vikings at 09:341-10-MIN 12 (9:34) 5-T.Bridgewater pass short right intended for 19-A.Thielen INTERCEPTED by 21-L.McKelvin at MIN 26. 21-L.McKelvin ran ob at MIN 26 for no gain. Intercepted along sideline.

Buffalo Bills at 09:28

1-10-MIN 26 (9:28) 18-K.Orton pass deep right to 14-S.Watkins for 26 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Caught on run at MIN 1.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Miami Dolphins at 01:03

6-C.Schmidt kicks 62 yards from BUF 20 to MIA 18. 14-J.Landry to MIA 39 for 21 yards (25-D.Searcy, 53-N.Bradham). FUMBLES (25-D.Searcy), RECOVERED by BUF-37-N.Robey at MIA 39. The Replay Official challenged the fumble ruling, and the play was Upheld. The ruling on the field was confirmed.

Buffalo Bills at 00:57

1. 1-10-MIA 39 (:57) (Shotgun) 18-K.Orton pass short right to 35-B.Brown pushed ob at MIA 28 for 11 yards (53-J.Jenkins).

2. 1-10-MIA 28 (:27) (Shotgun) 18-K.Orton pass incomplete short middle to 15-C.Hogan (25-L.Delmas).

3. 2-10-MIA 28 (:27) 35-B.Brown right tackle to MIA 29 for -1 yards.

4. 3-11-MIA 29 (15:00) (Shotgun) 18-K.Orton pass incomplete short left to 35-B.Brown.

5. 4-11-MIA 29 (14:57) 2-D.Carpenter 47 yard field goal is No Good, Wide Left, Center-65-G.Sanborn, Holder-6-C.Schmidt.

They did?

I distinctly remember them successfully connecting on a deep shot to Sammy after a McKelvin int in the Minnesota game, but not in the TNF game.

Minnesota Vikings at 09:341-10-MIN 12 (9:34) 5-T.Bridgewater pass short right intended for 19-A.Thielen INTERCEPTED by 21-L.McKelvin at MIN 26. 21-L.McKelvin ran ob at MIN 26 for no gain. Intercepted along sideline.

Buffalo Bills at 09:28

1-10-MIN 26 (9:28) 18-K.Orton pass deep right to 14-S.Watkins for 26 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Caught on run at MIN 1.

They did.

1. 1-10-MIA 39(:57) (Shotgun) 18-K.Orton pass short right to 35-B.Brown pushed ob at MIA 28 for 11 yards (53-J.Jenkins).

That was a shotgun play meant to go long.

but Miami had the deep ball covered so Orton dumped to Brown as the safety valve.

Watch the play.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Mike Carey, the ultimate company man, all calls are correct. I find these Mike Carey segments to be annoying as hell. Just another example of how they are ruining the NFL.

Exactly. These ref segments by the announcing teams are pretty worthless IMO. Their opinions are really no better than the ones of the broadcasters or most fans for that matter.