Mike Carey

YoloinOhio

Seriously? This guy is terrible. He is always wrong. And he says "I would have thrown a flag too right there" on the IG. No, he would not have. He is just knows that the call was made and couldn't be reviewed so he said he agreed with it so he finally could be "right". Watkins was close enough to be within 5 yds. It was a terrible call especially in the light of it being a tight game at that point AND a 2 point play. It swung the game. The PI call on Gilmore was absolutely egregious. And isn't every scoring play reviewable? Carey said "uh.. well.... I guess not ALL scoring plays."

I realize those two calls don't change the outcome on the surface because they are only 9 pts. But as far as momentum and possession they could have, we don't know what would have happened if Miami had to punt on the GREAT play Gilmore made.

Carey adds less than nothing to the broadcast. Bringing him on before the call is made/confirmed is like playing a game of Russian Roulette. Bringing him on after the call is made so he can hem and haw and try to defend it is embarrassing.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Seriously? This guy is terrible. He is always wrong. And he says "I would have thrown a flag too right there" on the IG. No, he would not have. He is just knows that the call was made and couldn't be reviewed so he said he agreed with it so he finally could be "right". Watkins was close enough to be within 5 yds. It was a terrible call especially in the light of it being a tight game at that point AND a 2 point play. It swung the game. The PI call on Gilmore was absolutely egregious. And isn't every scoring play reviewable? Carey said "uh.. well.... I guess not ALL scoring plays."

I realize those two calls don't change the outcome on the surface because they are only 9 pts. But as far as momentum and possession they could have, we don't know what would have happened if Miami had to punt on the GREAT play Gilmore made.

Carey adds less than nothing to the broadcast.

they couldnt pick up the flag. they could, conceivably, review if he was in the endzone when he threw the ball i guess though. but im not sure on the last bit.

they couldnt pick up the flag. they could, conceivably, review if he was in the endzone when he threw the ball i guess though. but im not sure on the last bit.

In all seriousness, why not? They pick up the flag on other plays. We've seen it firsthand.

The play awarded them 2 pts in a close game where the call itself was NOT clear as they had to "discuss" it. Id love to see them throw it on one of the Golden Boy QBs when their rookie WR runs his route outside and then tries to come back in.

Edited by YoloinOhio

In all seriousness, why not? They pick up the flag on other plays. We've seen it firsthand.

The play awarded them 2 pts in a close game where the call itself was NOT clear as they had to "discuss" it. Id love to see them throw it on one of the Golden Boy QBs when their rookie WR runs his route outside and then tries to come back in.

on the review, thats why the scoring play couldnt be reviewed. just like they couldnt review holding in the endzone. i assume they could review the spot though.

I was furious about the safety. Complete bogus call and even if you follow the rules interpretation it was a doubtful penalty. Usually on intentional grounding the Refs use the "eye test" not a rule book and it was clear Orton was throwing to Sammy and he was definitely "in the area".

The fact that Buffalo got a gift fumble recovery on the next play in Miami territory softened my rage for a bit. Once we botched that short field drive, I knew the game was over no matter what. It just wasn't meant to be this year.

"all scoring plays are reviewed" "all scoring plays are reviewed" "all scoring plays are reviewed"

Apparently not..............

What do you think, Mike Carey? Mike? "zzzzzzzz - oh, you need me? What happened? Has the call already been confirmed? OH, then I agree!!!"

After the safety, the Bills got the ball back when Landry fumbled the free kick. The football gods were looking out for us, but Marrone and Hackett were too afraid to accept the gift.

Yep. I know.

And while I'm at it.... there is ZERO consistency with unsportsmanlike conduct. Last year on TNF, Fred is flagged and FINED over 8k for handing the ball to Phil Taylor (with no ref around) after a big run. This year, Landy is able to run back out to the endzone after the TD is reviewed/confirmed to celebrate for a 2nd time with no eyes batted.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Yep. I know.

And while I'm at it.... there is ZERO consistency with unsportsmanlike conduct. Last year on TNF, Fred is flagged and FINED over 8k for handing the ball to Phil Taylor (with no ref around) after a big run. This year, Landy is able to run back out to the endzone after the TD is reviewed/confirmed to celebrate for a 2nd time with no eyes batted.

i barely recall the fred one, but if he engaged an opposing player, its pretty consistently called. that, going to the ground, using a prop, etc....

It is NFL CYA. I wish Mike Carey would get off the air because he is terrible on air not to mention he has never seen a ref call he doesn't like.

"Yeah Yeah great call! Great use of activist referring. Excellent way to hand out points and make an impact on the outcome of the game."

After the safety, the Bills got the ball back when Landry fumbled the free kick. The football gods were looking out for us, but Marrone and Hackett were too afraid to accept the gift.

Return to sender.

Edited by Why So Serious?

So in the red zone, when a qb throws the ball way high over a wrs head in an obvious throw away fashion, the ball often lands IN THE STANDS.

I've never once seen that flagged.

And that's the exact reason this D bag said it was a good call (when the entire world knows that it was an awful call)

I always get the distinct sense from Carey that he's more interested in defending the call than truly explaining it.

But the bigger issue I have is: if the game requires someone in the booth dedicated to commentary on the officials' calls, you have to start considering the likelihood that the officials have way too much influence on the game.

my issue is that pretty much ALL the intentional grounding calls lately come well AFTER the play is over, and after considerable debate and discussion by the referees.

apparently, they only make the call later. its total BS, and it happens in other games (not just the Bills). i hate the officiating.

my issue is that pretty much ALL the intentional grounding calls lately come well AFTER the play is over, and after considerable debate and discussion by the referees.

apparently, they only make the call later. its total BS, and it happens in other games (not just the Bills). i hate the officiating.

Their reason - and it's not a bad one - is that they don't want to throw the flag and make the call when the call's not reviewable.

The problem - and it's very real - is that if you only think that maybe you saw it, and have to talk it over before you're sure, than just maybe it's ambiguous enough that it shouldn't be called. Judgement calls, the officials should be quick to throw the flag, because they should only throw it when it's unambiguous. They should throw that flag rarely, of course...but be quick to do it when they do, because it should be a sure thing.

As I've said on other threads, the issue is the rule book and the randomness it creates in the games. There was no need to emphasize the pass defense infractions this year. The game is at modern history highs in scoring, passing, and offense. Why the hell did they decide to introduce more penalties into the game and more room for the officials to influence outcomes.

Their reason - and it's not a bad one - is that they don't want to throw the flag and make the call when the call's not reviewable.

The problem - and it's very real - is that if you only think that maybe you saw it, and have to talk it over before you're sure, than just maybe it's ambiguous enough that it shouldn't be called. Judgement calls, the officials should be quick to throw the flag, because they should only throw it when it's unambiguous. They should throw that flag rarely, of course...but be quick to do it when they do, because it should be a sure thing.

I'm like that on all penalties. Only call them when it's 100% obvious and real. They so often call a PI or holding when they *think* they see something, or a guy does some acting. I'm just sick of the ref'ing in the NFL.