Have rule changes disrupted competive balance in the NFL?

Tagging off the other thread.

Illegal contact, defensive holding, hitting a defenseless reciever and roughing the quarterback with a hit to the head or below the knees are all penalties that have altered the game to favor passing.

There are only a certain number of true franchise QBs in the NFL and once a team finds a franchise QB they hold onto them forever. Guys like Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Luck, and to a certain extent Brees elevate the play of their team so much so that they are playoff bound teams EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR.

Rewind back in NFL history 10-20 years ago. A franchise could build a strong rushing attack and ride that and good defense to the superbowl. Ravens with Trent Dilfer at QB and Jamal Lewis at RB win a superbowl, Bucaneers with Brad Johnson win a superbowl, Panthers make the superbowl with Jake Delhomme at QB and Stephen Davis at RB. Titans with Eddy George, Falcons with Jamal Anderson, Steelers with Ben Roethlisberger with Willie Parker and Jerome Bettis....the list goes on and on.

Nowadays franchise RBs are almost extinct and the days of playing a power running game with a strong defense are almost gone. If you dont have a franchise QB to pass the ball you dont have a chance to beat the teams who do on a consistent basis. Sure their are exceptions to this rule, the most recent being the successes of the Seahawks, 49ers and Ravens. But in general, you can see how it is slanted to favor the Mannings, Brays, Rodgers etc.

The bills havent had a franchise QB in 15 years, and look where we are. Same with the Raiders, Browns, Rams, Titans, Vikings. We perenially suck and its because we cant get Lucky like the colts and suck bad enough the year a blue chip QB comes out.

My question is, why does the NFL limit the ways to building a succesful team to solely getting lucky and finding a franchise QB? Why do the rules have to be tilted to favor of building a team through a franchise QB, when historically the league has rewarded strong runninng with good defense?

Edited by TallskiWallski83

Illegal contact, defensive holding, hitting a defenseless reciever and roughing the quarterback with a hit to the head or below the knees are all penalties that have altered the game to favor passing.

There are only a certain number of true franchise QBs in the NFL and once a team finds a franchise QB they hold onto them forever. Guys like Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Luck, and to a certain extent Brees elevate the play of their team so much so that they are playoff bound teams EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR.

Rewind back in NFL history 10-20 years ago. A franchise could build a strong rushing attack and ride that and good defense to the superbowl. Ravens with Trent Dilfer at QB and Jamal Lewis at RB win a superbowl, Bucaneers with Brad Johnson win a superbowl, Panthers make the superbowl with Jake Delhomme at QB and Stephen Davis at RB. Titans with Eddy George, Falcons with Jamal Anderson, Steelers with Ben Roethlisberger with Willie Parker and Jerome Bettis....the list goes on and on.

Nowadays franchise RBs are almost extinct and the days of playing a power running game with a strong defense are almost gone. If you dont have a franchise QB to pass the ball you dont have a chance to beat the teams who do on a consistent basis. Sure their are exceptions to this rule, the most recent being the successes of the Seahawks, 49ers and Ravens. But in general, you can see how it is slanted to favor the Mannings, Brays, Rodgers etc.

The bills havent had a franchise QB in 15 years, and look where we are. Same with the Raiders, Browns, Rams, Titans, Vikings. We perenially suck and its because we cant get Lucky like the colts and suck bad enough the year a blue chip QB comes out.

My question is, why does the NFL limit the ways to building a succesful team to solely getting lucky and finding a franchise QB? Why do the rules have to be tilted to favor of building a team through a franchise QB, when historically the league has rewarded strong runninng with good defense?

This makes a ton of sense to me. The rules favor the best QBs in the game, no doubt. And it's really tilted the field. It's a shame really. I get the protection type of rules, but the ticky-tack pass coverage penalties are ruining the play of some great DBs and the game itself if you ask me. I don't buy into the idea that we have to have high scoring games for the league to be attractive to the fans. This isn't soccer for crissakes. Let these guys play!

GO BILLS!!!

What bothers me is the so-called increased emphasis on pass defense rules this season i.e. 5 yards etc. There was no evidence this needed to happen, scoring is up to 24 ppg, yards per game trending up over 350 game, and now penalties are higher than ever! The randomness of these games related to rule book and officials calls is a joke. I suppose anybody under 30 who has grown up with this doesn't know any better. But, as an over 30 who has seen a very different and more rounded game this football is pathetic entertainment. Im started to question spending my time watching this.

What bothers me is the so-called increased emphasis on pass defense rules this season i.e. 5 yards etc. There was no evidence this needed to happen, scoring is up to 24 ppg, yards per game trending up over 350 game, and now penalties are higher than ever! The randomness of these games related to rule book and officials calls is a joke. I suppose anybody under 30 who has grown up with this doesn't know any better. But, as an over 30 who has seen a very different and more rounded game this football is pathetic entertainment. Im started to question spending my time watching this.

I agree. I mean when I was younger I used to cheer those big hits where the guy wouldnt get back up...Ive since learned why that part of the game needed to be fixed and it truly bothers me when you see a guy get a bad head injury. But the pass interference, defensive holding and illegal contact calls have gotten out of hand. A team can have a 3rd and 20+, and either of those calls turn it into a first down automatically. Not to mention those ticky-tack pass interference calls they make that sets up the offfense with first and goal.

Im starting to think the NFL would be better served by limiting pass interference to a 15 yard penalty and limit illegal contact to a 5 yard penalty and replay of down.

Yesterdays Bills-Phins game was an old school slug fest defensive struggle game with two dominant defensive lines controlling the play of the game, and the officials really altered the ending of the game with their questionable calls.

Edited by TallskiWallski83

I agree. I mean when I was younger I used to cheer those big hits where the guy wouldnt get back up...Ive since learned why that part of the game needed to be fixed and it truly bothers me when you see a guy get a bad head injury. But the pass interference, defensive holding and illegal contact calls have gotten out of hand. A team can have a 3rd and 20+, and either of those calls turn it into a first down automatically. Not to mention those ticky-tack pass interference calls they make that sets up the offfense with first and goal.

Im starting to think the NFL would be better served by limiting pass interference to a 15 yard penalty and limit illegal contact to a 5 yard penalty and replay of down.

We don't do it. But Ive noticed teams creating penalties with their passing games this season. Now thats entertainment.LOL

For some reason, you left off Jim Kelly, John Elway, Joe Montana, Steve Young............

Yet you summarize 20 years of football by noting the exceptions (Delhomme, Dilfer) to the fact that franchise QBs have ruled for more than a generation.

And how does penalizing a hit to the head or to the QB's knees "favor passing"? It certainly doesn't prevent the penalty form being comitted. And the HOF QBs i just mentioned (and you don't seem familiar with) don't seem to have missed too many games from gratuitous head shots guys todday are spared. they got their concussions the same way guys today get them. Those flags are meaningless and have no effect onthe game.

As for the DB flags, blame Manning, Dungy and Irsay for crying so hard after the pats manhandled them (again) that they made the NFL rewrite these rules regarding contact.