Defensive Rankings After 10 Weeks

Passing yards per game - 7th

Rushing yards per game - 8th

Sacks - 1st

Interceptions - 3rd

Opposing QB rating - 4th

Points per game - 7th

3rd down defense - 4th

I'd say that's a pretty well-rounded playoff caliber defense. Shwartz has done a damn fine job.

A defense like that can take a team to the playoffs with even an average offense.

Edited by TheBillsWillRiseAgain

Sacks - 1st

Interceptions - 3rd

Opposing QB rating - 4th

Points per game - 7th

3rd down defense - 4th

I'd say that's a pretty well-rounded playoff caliber defense. Shwartz has done a damn fine job.

A defense like that can take a team to the playoffs with even an average offense.

Those #'s are awesome. Lets hope they continue vs. GB, NE, & Den.

I really hope Pegula spends the dough to keep all these guys together.

I have faith that he will. I'm sure Dareus will command a contract near $100million and hughes may get $50million. To me it's worth it though. I guess we're "lucky" that we don't have a QB that's going to need a big contract anytime soon.

It's no question that we've been competitive this season mainly because of this defense.

Edited by Bangarang

I have faith that he will. I'm sure Dareus will command a contract near $100million and hughes may get $50million. To me it's worth it though. I guess we're "lucky" that we don't have a QB that's going to need a big contract anytime soon.

It's no question that we've been competitive this season mainly because of this defense.

I think he will too. Even with the big contracts these guys are going to get we should have the cap space. And like you said without a star QB to pay, we should be able to squeeze them all in.

I really hope Pegula spends the dough to keep all these guys together.

Seriously man, from your lips to Pegula's ears.

MW - signed for a while

KW - signed through 2016

MD - signed through 2015

JH - FA after this season

Preston Brown - around for a while

Kiko - around for a while

Bradham - signed through 2015

McKelvin - signed through 2016

Graham - around for a while

Gilmore - signed through 2015

A. Williams - around for a while

Searcy - FA after this season

The majority of this defense is locked up for a while. This is awesome for us. They keys are clearly Dareus and Hughes. Lock them up long-term and the nucleus of this defense is SET for a while - Kiko, Brown, KW, MW, JH, AW, and Dareus: an awesome nucleus.

I would probably not extend Gilmore when he becomes a FA, unless his demands are reasonable. Gilmore has not turned into the player I thought he was going to be.

Searcy can be extended for relatively little money.

The problem in this era of the NFL is that teams aren't winning with dominating defense consistently enough to make the playoffs. This is a Bills defense, that while excellent, still yielded 24 points to New England in one half. So despite their defense, they've still got to average more than 21 points per they've had this season.

Playoff teams have above average to excellent offenses and defense alone isn't going to win a game late in the season.

The big point is that you can win consistently with an average offense and that good of a defense, and an average offense is a lot more attainable for us than landing the next Andrew Luck imo. A few tweaks to the offense should get us there. Hell, all they'd have to do is improve redzone offense imo.

Then we're in the playoffs.

Nobody here doubts that the Bills need to be better on offense... but I think you can win with dominating defense and average offense so long as that average offense can run the ball, run the clock and keep that defense off the field. You don't have to have an offense that puts up loads of points. The problem has been the way we are struggling to run the ball.

Edited by GunnerBill

The problem in this era of the NFL is that teams aren't winning with dominating defense consistently enough to make the playoffs. This is a Bills defense, that while excellent, still yielded 24 points to New England in one half. So despite their defense, they've still got to average more than 21 points per they've had this season.

Playoff teams have above average to excellent offenses and defense alone isn't going to win a game late in the season.

You really do seem like a fun guy. ;)

Sacks - 1st

Interceptions - 3rd

Opposing QB rating - 4th

Points per game - 7th

3rd down defense - 4th

It's the rushing yds/game and 3rd down defense that impresses me the most. I'm loving that scrub RBs aren't getting 6+ yards a carry on us this year.

Agree we must keep this D together. Pay Jerry Hughes, frontload his deal if necessary.

With the modern day rollover cap rules, it would make zero difference if one frontloads a contract or not.

Sacks - 1st

Interceptions - 3rd

Opposing QB rating - 4th

Points per game - 7th

3rd down defense - 4th

Schwartz has helped but let's not forget we added Spikes, Rivers, Graham and Wynn and got a healthy Gilmore back. Let's hope we can re-sign Hughes and Spikes and maybe Wynn and Charles or Bryant this offseason. As

Seriously man, from your lips to Pegula's ears.

MW - signed for a while

KW - signed through 2016

MD - signed through 2015

JH - FA after this season

Preston Brown - around for a while

Kiko - around for a while

Bradham - signed through 2015

McKelvin - signed through 2016

Graham - around for a while

Gilmore - signed through 2015

A. Williams - around for a while

Searcy - FA after this season

The majority of this defense is locked up for a while. This is awesome for us. They keys are clearly Dareus and Hughes. Lock them up long-term and the nucleus of this defense is SET for a while - Kiko, Brown, KW, MW, JH, AW, and Dareus: an awesome nucleus.

I would probably not extend Gilmore when he becomes a FA, unless his demands are reasonable. Gilmore has not turned into the player I thought he was going to be.

Searcy can be extended for relatively little money.

It depends what kind of money Gilmore looking for, if he's looking for top flight money he doesn't deserve it but if he's looking for a McKelvin type deal he might be worthh extending. Yet let's not forget that guys like Wynn, Charles, Bryant and Rivers are also contributors. So is Lawson even though he got exposed this weekend.

You really do seem like a fun guy. ;)

I love when you throw in the win emoticon. Because I know you're serious. ;)

There are teams in the NFL who've won, rebuilt, and now are winning again. Heck, Arizona (despite losing Palmer) has the best record in football. All of this after hiring a new HC (Arians) after the last one (Whisenhunt) began losing after Kurt Warner retired. And yet the Bills are still in the DMZ of the NFL: not really rebuilding but not winning either.

Agree we must keep this D together. Pay Jerry Hughes, frontload his deal if necessary.

Front load every bodies deal. We have 25 mil in cap space next year. It's the only way it works imo.

This is a 12 win team with an average offense. If we invest right now in the defense, we MUST draft really well at OL and QB the next few years.

Yes you front load Darius and Hughes now with every cent of the 25M available this year. Teams would kill for this kind of front four pressure like they do franchise QBs. Let kyle walk. He's 32 dinged up and let's face it he was not missed when he was out. Anything can happen with this kind of from four and I mean anything. See giants of 07 and 11.

I love to bash Marrone and Hackett with the best of them but let's give credit where due to Marrone for the aggressive play to get Schwartz in. Very tough situation to replace Pettine. Success was not a guarantee. See wannestadt.