Can Sammy Watkins be Traded???

OK, before all you knuckleheads start calling me names, I'm not advocating that we trade Sammy. I happen to like him a whole lot.

Does anyone know if a rookie, in the middle of his rookie year, can be traded to another team for picks?? I don't know if it is allowed under the CBA. I tried googling it but couldn't find anything.

The reason I ask is I noticed the Jags just lost their #1 WR for the season and Allen Robinson isn't as good of a WR as Sammy (IMO). They have their Franchise QB in Bortles and it looks like they will end up 1-15 with a top 2 draft pick. Would the Jags be able to call the Bills and ask for Sammy Watkins in exchange for the Jags First and Fourth round picks next year?? I'm not saying we should do this or if this would ever take place...I'm just asking if a Rookie can be traded mid-way through his rookie season.

Now go ahead and begin with the "what a dumb ass trade idea" or "I can't believe you would suggest such a thing" because I know it's coming.

Edited by BringBackFergy

Its past the trade deadline so nobody can be traded. But I don't think there are any rules prohibiting trading rookies. So, technically he could have been traded before the deadline and can be traded after the season. Not that I'm advocating that, simply answering your question.

Its past the trade deadline so nobody can be traded. But I don't think there are any rules prohibiting trading rookies. So, technically he could have been traded before the deadline and can be traded after the season. Not that I'm advocating that, simply answering your question.

Thanks. Forgot about the deadline.

Yes he was eligible to be traded the second goodell announced him as the Bills pick assuming the trade deadline hasn't passed

Thanks Fluff.

The Jags have Robinson, Lee and Hurns as rookie WRs this year. They are not looking for another.

The Bills acquired Watkins because they believe that he is a star. He is a guy that would have been drafted 1st or 2nd in 2015 (probably 1st if the Raiders have the pick). Why would the Bills trade him for a pick in that area to acquire a lesser player? The trade deadline has passed anyways.

The Jags have Robinson, Lee and Hurns as rookie WRs this year. They are not looking for another.

The Bills acquired Watkins because they believe that he is a star. He is a guy that would have been drafted 1st or 2nd in 2015 (probably 1st if the Raiders have the pick). Why would the Bills trade him for a pick in that area to acquire a lesser player? The trade deadline has passed anyways.

Why would they?? I have no clue...the question was whether a rookie can be traded and (admittedly) I didn't know the answer. I like Sammy.

OK, before all you knuckleheads start calling me names, I'm not advocating that we trade Sammy. I happen to like him a whole lot.

Does anyone know if a rookie, in the middle of his rookie year, can be traded to another team for picks?? I don't know if it is allowed under the CBA. I tried googling it but couldn't find anything.

The reason I ask is I noticed the Jags just lost their #1 WR for the season and Allen Robinson isn't as good of a WR as Sammy (IMO). They have their Franchise QB in Bortles and it looks like they will end up 1-15 with a top 2 draft pick. Would the Jags be able to call the Bills and ask for Sammy Watkins in exchange for the Jags First and Fourth round picks next year?? I'm not saying we should do this or if this would ever take place...I'm just asking if a Rookie can be traded mid-way through his rookie season.

Now go ahead and begin with the "what a dumb ass trade idea" or "I can't believe you would suggest such a thing" because I know it's coming.

OK, so a bunch of strategic things wrong with this proposition. We traded two #1s and a #4 to get him. The pick was a knock out of the park HR where he'll possibly be the OROY. There's a 50% hit rate on first round draft picks, not much better in the top 10.... and you might trade him for a #1 and #4? They would have to give more than what we gave up, given that he's turning into a star and no longer a gamble just on his college career. So by that logic and discussion of trading him would have to start with at least two #1s and a #2... or possibly three #1s

OK, so a bunch of strategic things wrong with this proposition. We traded two #1s and a #4 to get him. The pick was a knock out of the park HR where he'll possibly be the OROY. There's a 50% hit rate on first round draft picks, not much better in the top 10.... and you might trade him for a #1 and #4? They would have to give more than what we gave up, given that he's turning into a star and no longer a gamble just on his college career. So by that logic and discussion of trading him would have to start with at least two #1s and a #2... or possibly three #1s

this is an interesting Hypothetical.

assume Oakland gets the #1 pick and doesn't take a QB.

JAX sitting at #2 and the top QB is on the board. Whomever it is has a very high ranking and is thought of as a potential Franchise QB. Would you trade Sammy for that pick? I'd have to give it a lot of consideration.

Technically you can still trade after the deadline if the players pass through waivers first. This happens more often in baseball than in football though.

this is an interesting Hypothetical.

assume Oakland gets the #1 pick and doesn't take a QB.

JAX sitting at #2 and the top QB is on the board. Whomever it is has a very high ranking and is thought of as a potential Franchise QB. Would you trade Sammy for that pick? I'd have to give it a lot of consideration.

Which of this past year's "top QB on the board" would you have traded Sammy for? Bortles, Carr, Bridgewater, Manziel?? This QB stuff is REALLY difficult. I'm beginning to think that teams that find the franchise guy just got lucky. I bet back when RG3 was being drafted, people would have made that trade in a heartbeat... would you trade Watkins for him today?

Edited by cage

Which of this past year's "top QB on the board" would you have traded Sammy for? Bortles, Carr, Bridgewater, Manziel?? This QB stuff is REALLY difficult. I'm beginning to think that teams that find the franchise guy just got lucky. I bet back when RG3 was being drafted, people would have made that trade in a heartbeat... would you trade Watkins for him today?

I know. That's why it is interesting to consider. I don't know that much about college QBs to speak accurately. But think about the year EJ came out. There weren't QBs that year rated to be worth the #2 overall pick. Luck, Newton and RGIII are the type I am talking about. So, assume Marcus Mariotta is the #1 QB in the draft and is a consensus pick at QB and deserving of consideration for the #1 overall pick. The raiders have Carr and don't find a trade partner. They draft a Punter (kidding, sort of). So Jax sits at #2. Would you trade Sammy for a shot at that highly ranked QB?

Hey guys I want to know to if a rookie can be traded in their rookie year. But also blablabla sammy watkins to jags LOL but this has nothing to do with sammy watkins being traded blablablablabla trade watkins to jags because of a stupid hypothetical (it was a bad one).

If you want to know if a rookie can be traded in his rookie season, why don't you ask that instead of being a troll