Gilmore a PFF all-star from Week 10

YoloinOhio

File it under "even PFF gets one right every now and again".

Of course, they totally discredit themselves when they grade Marcell Dareus last among the 4 Bills' DLmen against KC.

Nevertheless, I do think they got this one right. Gilmore has been nothing short of excellent the majority of the season.

I have not always been Gilmore's biggest fan (not a hater either). With that being said there has been big strides in his game this year. He has gone from an average CB to a good one and still has potential to take the next step. It's nice to see; he seems like a really nice kid too.

I suspect he's changed a lot of fans' opinions on his coverage ability this year. He's been better (not great) against the run as well...he did grind my gears on the Alex Smith TD run though--let himself get engaged with the WR when he had the opportunity to play it more aggressively and challenge Smith, forcing the play.

However, when a guy is targeted 4 times in the passing game, breaks up 1 pass, forces 1 overthrow on a deep ball, and allows 2 completions (and forces a fumble on one of them) I'm calling it a great performance.

In case anyone was wondering, this is what I meant:

http:// bleacherreport.com/articles/2262080-tale-of-the-tape-for-nfl-week-10

Once Gilmore identifies the zone-read concept, he must attack the block of Fasano and work to squeeze the inside running lane. That creates an opportunity for the free safety, Aaron Williams, to run the inside alley versus the quarterback.

However, with Gilmore widening on contact versus Fasano, Smith can now press the ball outside and force Williams to adjust his angle (flatten to the ball).

I suspect he's changed a lot of fans' opinions on his coverage ability this year. He's been better (not great) against the run as well...he did grind my gears on the Alex Smith TD run though--let himself get engaged with the WR when he had the opportunity to play it more aggressively and challenge Smith, forcing the play.

However, when a guy is targeted 4 times in the passing game, breaks up 1 pass, forces 1 overthrow on a deep ball, and allows 2 completions (and forces a fumble on one of them) I'm calling it a great performance.

Agreed. But Manny Lawson was the main culprit on that play and the 4th and 1 where they quick-pitched it to Charles. Crashed down extremely hard on both plays to allow them to get to the outside.

Agreed. But Manny Lawson was the main culprit on that play and the 4th and 1 where they quick-pitched it to Charles. Crashed down extremely hard on both plays to allow them to get to the outside.

This is undoubtedly correct...I was speaking only to what I'd like to see Gilmore improve upon...very good observation, as I think it's important not to lose perspective that there's 11 guys on the field, and if everyone does their job properly that play doesn't even come into question.

Top 2 in the league in week 10? He wasn't even the best DB on the filed in the Chiefs game (Ron Parker)..

Parker was thrown at far more than Gilmore was, and each forced a fumble, so I suppose it's all in how you evaluate it.

Edited for double-post

Edited by thebandit27

File it under "even PFF gets one right every now and again".

Of course, they totally discredit themselves when they grade Marcell Dareus last among the 4 Bills' DLmen against KC.

Nevertheless, I do think they got this one right. Gilmore has been nothing short of excellent the majority of the season.

FearthePFF.

GO BILLS!!!

Parker hurt us more...

I suppose I see how one might view it that way--to me, if Chandler recovers Brown's fumble (as Bowe did with his own), then the impact of Parker's FF is--at most--the same as Gilmore's. I also think that Parker was beaten in coverage on more than 1 occasion in the red zone, and a good throw by the QB results in a score.

I don't mean to marginalize Parker's effort--he played well. I'm just saying that if the context of the grade is on who did their job in coverage better, then the nod goes to Gilmore. If we're viewing it on the scale of whose plays on the football ended up having a greater impact on the win/loss, then I can see the argument you're presenting.