Red Zone Offense

NextYearGuys

and the thread devolves….

You mean like the thread about how EJ has been riding the pine and there are still people that want him to/think he will be a failure?

He was asking about the games that EJ wasn't the QB so how hard is it to come to that conclusion?

Again, I support EJ but I also support the move to bench him for Orton. The red zone issues have been the same either way.

Edited by The Wiz

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and then we go run, run, against the jets defense.

leave red zone threats on the bench for kick coverage guys when we carry a kicker to put it out of the endzone.

its like we out think ourselves a lot and ESPECIALLY in the redzone you dont have much margin for error.

Precisely! Isn't WR Mike Williams noted to be a good red zone threat, and yet he was inactive.

Its almost like the Bills offensive coordinator / Head coach are taking bribes from opposing teams to purposely screw themselves. Or, other teams needn't worry about beating this team, as they appear to want to beat themselves with their own stupidity. All year its been like this. Have the 2nd year QB throw so many passes and play right into the teeth of the Texans pass rush.

I really wanted Buffalo to beat the Chiefs, and if they lose again on Thursday night. I'll really want this entire coaching staff to go back to college where they can come in 4th in the division, and I won't care.

@JohnKryk

#Bills have 36 #redzone visits, scored 14 TDs (worst pct in #NFL). #Raiders have #NFL-lowest 15 RZ visits, scored TDs NFL-best 12 times.

38%

thats 6% lower than 31st this year, 5% lower than last place last year.

2012 we would be 31 ahead of KC at 27%, likewise in 2011 ahead of St Louis at 33%

to put into perspective how low that is

38%

thats 6% lower than 31st this year, 5% lower than last place last year.

2012 we would be 31 ahead of KC at 27%, likewise in 2011 ahead of St Louis at 33%

to put into perspective how low that is

And yet we're 5-5.

It has to be cleaned up, no doubt. But the degree to which this has hamstrung the team thus far can't be exaggerated. It's not like the entire offense has been anemic, it hasn't. Clean up the red zone shenanigans and they could still make a little run. Not say it WILL happen, but we're not up against systemic failure right now, just one very specific, very crucial element of the game we haven't hit on.

Red zone play proving costly

Now 0-for-6 in the red zone the last two games, it’s no surprise that Buffalo was unable to win their games against Kansas City and Miami. The struggles inside the opponent’s 20-yard line is something the Bills are trying to get a handle on. They know if they don’t fix it fast they make it that much harder to win games.

“We’ve got to finish drives and make the plays down there. If they’re bringing pressure we’ve got to handle it,” said Scott Chandler. “If they’re in coverage, they dropped into coverage a couple of times down there, they mixed it up pretty well. We’ve got to execute better and we got to be able to finish drives.”

And yet we're 5-5.

It has to be cleaned up, no doubt. But the degree to which this has hamstrung the team thus far can't be exaggerated. It's not like the entire offense has been anemic, it hasn't. Clean up the red zone shenanigans and they could still make a little run. Not say it WILL happen, but we're not up against systemic failure right now, just one very specific, very crucial element of the game we haven't hit on.

I hear you - I think we aren't far apart in the sentiment here. I think it may be too late, even if they get hot - and why I've been beating the drum on the redzone issue since august. I believe I referred to it as the stat that would end up defining our fate. So far it has, and unfortunately it has been bad. 5-5 is an entertaining season but the way those fall it's a big hole and we shouldn't be in it.

Pull the jets as an anamoly and the pats and we have 2 redzone tds in ortons 4 other starts I believe. Not that ej was far different either- we had the same issues in September, and August and were 29th in 2013 too

Edited by NoSaint

Marrone will spend weekend on red zone

Bills head coach Doug Marrone was quick to acknowledge there’s a lot that he, his coaches and his players have to fix in a short amount of time to get their season back on track. Afforded a weekend of time to dive into it, Marrone himself has one particular area of focus.

“I’m specifically going to utilize it by going back into the red zone. I’m not going to lie to you. I’m going to go back there and I’m going to take a good look at it,” Marrone said. “It’s my responsibility to answer those questions. I’m responsible for that. There’s no doubt about it. Yes, Nathaniel is the offensive coordinator and Jim [schwartz] is the defensive coordinator. Defensively, we didn’t tackle well. We couldn’t get them into many third downs. There are things that we did in special teams we had an opportunity to pin them back there and we punt it and put it on the two, that when I say a team loss is a team loss.