Red Zone Offense

NextYearGuys

It's so horrifically bad I can't believe what I'm seeing sometimes. It's like we have a whole new playbook for the red zone and nothing works. The defense must be pissed off to no end. They KILLED it yesterday and the offense did nothing aside from our first drive (which was great by the way). I don't understand it. It's like we lose all mental capabilities when we're 20 yards out from 6 points. I've been saying all year long that field goals aren't gonna cut it. Once we play a good team (like the Chiefs), they will capitalize on our moronic/mediocre red zone offense. And they did. We can't not score touchdowns. It's on everyone. The Oline, Orton, the Wideouts, the RB's, Hackett, Marrone, and mental errors. Speaking of Marrone, whenever they show him on TV he looks like he's on a different planet. He has this blank look on his face like he has no clue what's going on. What are your solutions to our red zone problems?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we are still 32nd in redzone TD percentage. itll be incredibly tough to be a contender until that changes.

41% overall

38% the last 3 games

and a shockingly low 33% at home

I'd rather see what our ranking/pct is from week 5 until now, aka since the end of the EJ experiment. Until then, I'm going to continue to ignore those numbers.

we are still 32nd in redzone TD percentage. itll be incredibly tough to be a contender until that changes.

41% overall

38% the last 3 games

and a shockingly low 33% at home

I never thought I would miss Chan but Marrone is making it easy. He took damn near every facet of our offense and made it worse. It's mind boggling.

I'd rather see what our ranking/pct is from week 5 until now, aka since the end of the EJ experiment. Until then, I'm going to continue to ignore those numbers.

i posted the last 3 games because that was available on the site.

detroit was 1-3

pats game was 3-3 and really, the only anomaly for the season (also the only game with multiple sustained td drives)

youd see an uptick from the 38% in the last 3 games, but im not sure it would be substantially higher than the season average.

Edited by NoSaint

It's so horrifically bad I can't believe what I'm seeing sometimes. It's like we have a whole new playbook for the red zone and nothing works. The defense must be pissed off to no end. They KILLED it yesterday and the offense did nothing aside from our first drive (which was great by the way). I don't understand it. It's like we lose all mental capabilities when we're 20 yards out from 6 points. I've been saying all year long that field goals aren't gonna cut it. Once we play a good team (like the Chiefs), they will capitalize on our moronic/mediocre red zone offense. And they did. We can't not score touchdowns. It's on everyone. The Oline, Orton, the Wideouts, the RB's, Hackett, Marrone, and mental errors. Speaking of Marrone, whenever they show him on TV he looks like he's on a different planet. He has this blank look on his face like he has no clue what's going on. What are your solutions to our red zone problems?

Yep, it's everyone on the offense working together to be the worst Red Zone offense in the league. That's the problem, it's so hard to pinpoint. They fritter away turnovers, and great field position, like no other offense I have ever seen!

I think a lot of it is attitude. I think the coach's conservative attitude affects the mindset of the players. It's "let's just keep it close, we can always settle for 3, it's early", instead of an attitude of urgency, or "we need to get these 7-points, NOW".

You need stats to convince you that they suck in the red zone?

With Orton, we are up a bit. 47.36% (9/19). Which would make us 26th in the league in Red Zone efficiency.

So, yes, even with the almighty Kyle Orton, we SUCK in the red zone.

Red Zone Stats:

KC: 0-4

NYJ: 4-6

Min: 1-3

Pats: 3-3

Lions: 1-3

One of the failed trips in the Minny game was a fumble. A stupid, nothing to do with strategy fumble.

Outside of that, outside of yesterday, they've been pretty sharp under the almighty Orton.

Marrone: changes possible for red zone

There’s little question that Buffalo’s fumble through the end zone for a touchback and fumbled punt return were costly in the loss to Kansas City Sunday, but a close second was going 0-for-4 in the red zone. Buffalo’s red zone touchdown percentage is now ranked 32nd in the NFL at 41.2 percent. Head coach Doug Marrone knows things have to improve in that area of the field and fast, but on a short week changing significantly is a tall order.

Marrone was asked if players acquired in the offseason like Boobie Dixon (goal line back) and Mike Williams (red zone scoring threat) could be used more moving forward to help boost the red zone touchdown efficiency. Marrone didn’t dismiss the possibility, but again pointed to the challenge of having the right depth for special teams needs and other positions that often make it difficult to dress everyone they’d like to have for specialty situations on offense.

One of the failed trips in the Minny game was a fumble. A stupid, nothing to do with strategy fumble.

Outside of that, outside of yesterday, they've been pretty sharp under the almighty Orton.

You're dreaming. It's the single biggest problem this team has.

It's about TOUCHDOWNS, not field goals.

The Bills rank 2nd in Average Starting Field Position, and 32nd in Drive Success Rate. Of course, you are gonna claim that it's radically different with Orton, but I doubt it (YOU can look that up if you like).

http://www.footballo...ivestatsoff2014

This offense has been gifted great field position and have frittered it away.

Edited by HoF Watkins

http://auburnpub.com...cc6cc54ee5.html

The Bills were 0-4 in the red zone, including the missed opportunity at the game when Buffalo started at the Chiefs' 25-yard-line. The Bills advanced to the 15-yard-line, but Orton threw four passes into the end zone that were off the mark.

That's not just ME whining.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Marrone: changes possible for red zone

"Marrone was asked if players acquired in the offseason like Boobie Dixon (goal line back) and Mike Williams (red zone scoring threat) could be used more moving forward to help boost the red zone touchdown efficiency. Marrone didn’t dismiss the possibility, but again pointed to the challenge of having the right depth for special teams needs and other positions that often make it difficult to dress everyone they’d like to have for specialty situations on offense."

thank you for highlighting this, 26. i find the idea that marrone places a greater importance on his special team's depth than his red zone personnel both astonishing and disturbing.

What's terribly frustrating is that both of Brown's runs coulda/shoulda been TDs. Orton also badly misfired on some open receivers, so I'm not ready to crucify the playcalling down there; it was a matter of execution.