Marcell Dareus

We have exercised the option for the 5th year already. It would be nice to have him locked up long term, peace of mind but I do not think it will happen too easily.

Many factors at play. Wynn and Bryant are both FA's this year, along with Hughes. While we all know about Hughes this year and Dareus next year the two I mentioned first are a factor to the latter. If we can get both of those guys to a year or two deal then roll right in to something with Hughes we are all set to finish up on Dareus.

We have a lot of very key depth players this year and I think it was Doc who pointed this out earlier this season wrt Searcy, our 2nd DL, Easley and others. We really need to go ahead and retain Spikes if cheap then lock up Searcy and the rest of the ST core players.**

If you believe ST players don't make a difference then look at what Crossman has done with the unit this year vs. last and any time before that. We have guys who practice weekly with the ST.

Anyway, I am not ready to throw the bank at Dareus yet but I think he is among the best DL in the league on the best DL in the league.

@buffalobills

PHOTOS: @marcelldareus takes down Alex Smith http://bufbills.co/yqPkWM https://vine.co/v/OiZFgIVLp6t

Big day for Dareus lost in defeat

Dareus leads all NFL DTs in sacks and passed his single-season career high of 7.5 against the Chiefs on Sunday.

They already picked up his option for next year, but beyond 2015 he's earning his way into a mega-contract much like Gerald McCoy already has. Hope they find a way to get Hughes signed as well. A Mario contract restructure will be a big help if he's amenable.

Well Sully said we should cut him a few months ago, so that must mean he's no good.

I don't agree that he's constantly doubled, which is the nice thing about that Wide 9 D that Schwartz plays, gives you some flexibility in matchups. Big 99 is in the perfect situation right now. And he's still a young dude.

Well Sully said we should cut him a few months ago, so that must mean he's no good.

I don't agree that he's constantly doubled, which is the nice thing about that Wide 9 D that Schwartz plays, gives you some flexibility in matchups. Big 99 is in the perfect situation right now. And he's still a young dude.

You get nowhere fast listening to a knee-jerk jerk.

He's going to get paid a very large amount of money for some team willing to pay him.

I don't see the Bills doing that. And it hurts.

you see the old Bills, my friend.

I think this new group is a little bit different. Hold out hope, if ever there was time for hope it is now.

Make him highest paid defensive player right now. He has earned it. Franchise Hughes. And extend Glenn at the same time. They have virtually no money spent on the QB and WR position. They have the cap room. Mario's contract will be able to be jettisoned in a couple years when hopefully they have a QB worthy of big dollars.

A Mario contract restructure will be a big help if he's amenable.

Whilst I like Mario for the player he is, he doesn't strike me as the guy who would ever be willing to take a pay cut irrespective of how well the team could be or is playing.

I would like to remain optimistic, like I do with most Bills related thoughts, but with that? Nope.

Whilst I like Mario for the player he is, he doesn't strike me as the guy who would ever be willing to take a pay cut irrespective of how well the team could be or is playing.

I would like to remain optimistic, like I do with most Bills related thoughts, but with that? Nope.

Wouldn't be a pay cut at all. He'd still get his $, it would just be distributed in a different way such that his 2015 base salary wouldn't be $12 million.

I don't think there's any way the Bills can afford Mario, Dareus, and Hughes. Sad to say it, but Dareus will probably be the odd man out. He will be in line for a MONSTER contract if he keeps this up, and we already have the Mario contract on the books.

It's just the nature of the business. All we can do is enjoy having Dareus as a Bill while it lasts!

Wouldn't be a pay cut at all. He'd still get his $, it would just be distributed in a different way such that his 2015 base salary wouldn't be $12 million.

Very true but do you really think he's worth a cap hit of $19-20m? Does Mario completely take over and dominate a game consistently? Absolutely not. Whilst he is a top 10 edge rusher, do you really think he warrants the base salary he is set to receive next year? - More than any other player on the defensive line in the whole of the NFL...

It's not for Dareus' contract alone that I would want him to restructure, it's potential for contracts going to Hughes, Dareus, Glenn and anyone else - shoot, maybe even a Big Ben, Phillip Rivers or some other QB come 2016 if we're still QB interested and sitting late in the draft.

I don't think there's any way the Bills can afford Mario, Dareus, and Hughes. Sad to say it, but Dareus will probably be the odd man out. He will be in line for a MONSTER contract if he keeps this up, and we already have the Mario contract on the books.

It's just the nature of the business. All we can do is enjoy having Dareus as a Bill while it lasts!

Never mind just those three, Kyle's making a pretty penny too in base salary next season.

Edited by Smooth

Just pay him now and get it over with . 8 years 120 50 guaranteed , it is going to be a whopper

as for Mario they can rework that contract at anytime and cut cap hit.

Do you think without Mario Hughes would be getting as many sacks as he does ?

Yes. I do. Hughes' sacks are the product more often than not of pressure up the middle, stunts or just all around pursuit.

Man do I hope you are wrong, Dareus is Wilfork II plus, if we let him walk, then we are a sorry sack

of steaming ___________. Plus I have his jersey in the mail to me as we speak!

Is there any question our 3rd overall pick deserves a massive contract? 10 sacks through 9 games for a DT!! Wow. I'm pressed to name a better DT in the entire NFL.

Spare me the off field crap. Lock him up Doug!

He won't re sign here. Why would he? he isn't a Buffalo Native and he has seen this team be **** ever since he was drafted. If anything the effort yesterday by the D vs the **** on O would have me running for the biggest FA payday. There is no reason if you are one of the best to keep playing on a team of futility.