Earl Campbell - A Football Life

I highly recommend the younger generation on TBD to check out the Earl Campbell AFL on NFL Network. I watched last night and quickly remembered why he was my all-time favorite non-Bill RB.

His play was made for slow mo NFL Films. Watching him destroy tacklers and literally leave them aching on the field in his tracks. The guy was a legend. Watching tacklers hang on for dear life while his jersey ripped off his body (at least two highlights showed this). He was my generation's Jim Brown.

If you get a chance, record and watch this episode.

Those were the years for the great running backs, and i recall how much i enjoyed watching players like Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, and Earl Campbell carry the entire offense.

Its really tragic to see the pain and suffering some great pro NFL players now have to endure later in life.

Earl was the man. Still the one back I would pick if I had to build an all time team. The guy was beat up and burned out quickly but for a few years, he was a force of nature and almost single handedly took the Oilers to the Super Bowl.

Earl was the man. Still the one back I would pick if I had to build an all time team. The guy was beat up and burned out quickly but for a few years, he was a force of nature and almost single handedly took the Oilers to the Super Bowl.

Yes. If those AFC title games were played in the Astrodome, it could have been a different story.

The only guy I've seen run like him, but unfortunately was out due to injury was the Nigerian Nightmare, Christian Okoya. I remember the game (for younger guys Shane Conlan was one of our toughest MLB), when NN just blew up SC all night on MNF. They killed us that night.

I loved watching EC when I was a young kid. We used to try and emulate him when playing "murder the guy with the ball" after school everyday in the fall. I'm sure you guys remember that game. Probably my favorite as a kid outside of course dodge ball.

Now let's see Dixon do that today against the Chiefs, and rack up 150 yards.

I loved watching EC when I was a young kid. We used to try and emulate him when playing "murder the guy with the ball" after school everyday in the fall. I'm sure you guys remember that game. Probably my favorite as a kid outside of course dodge ball.

I'm guessing 'Kill the carrier' has long since been outlawed in public schools.

Yes. If those AFC title games were played in the Astrodome, it could have been a different story.

I doubt it. The Steelers were a more balanced team and were able to cover the Oilers WRs with just their corners, allowing 9 other defenders to concentrate on EC. He had one 100 yard game in his career against Pittsburgh (109 on 33 carries). His career numbers against Pittsburgh are 245-760-3.01 with 6 TDs. They were his kryptonite.

The Steelers were just better and the games were played in Pittsburgh because of that fact.

I'm guessing 'Kill the carrier' has long since been outlawed in public schools.

We called it "Smear the Queer". Not really sure why - don't think anyone even knew what queer meant back then.

I highly recommend the younger generation on TBD to check out the Earl Campbell AFL on NFL Network. I watched last night and quickly remembered why he was my all-time favorite non-Bill RB.

His play was made for slow mo NFL Films. Watching him destroy tacklers and literally leave them aching on the field in his tracks. The guy was a legend. Watching tacklers hang on for dear life while his jersey ripped off his body (at least two highlights showed this). He was my generation's Jim Brown.

If you get a chance, record and watch this episode.

Nice Call by the OP! When you consider he was 245 pounds at a time when lineman were not much bigger, and that DBs didn't catch him from behind i.e. the Monday Night 35-31 win over the Dolphins, he was perhaps the greatest pure power back ever IMHO.

Campbell was great. But if you didn't have the good fortune to see Jim Brown play every Sunday, you missed the ultimate running back. It was not only his incredible power and great instincts. He used to sprint Bobby Mitchell, who was Big Ten sprint champion, in camp and beat him. Also, I'll never forget listening to the Syracuse game when Brown, who excelled at two other varsity sports there, scored, I believe it was, seven touchdowns.