Japanese Kitchen Knives

Anyone else a little too into their knives? I spent hours researching types of steel and different manufacturers and decided on the Zakuri Yanagiba in Blue Super Carbon steel. I realize this is not normal behavior. Although I felt a little better after finding entire forums dedicated to kitchen knives! After using a quality knife I really can't understand how anyone can tolerate a crappy, dull knife. Do you have a brand or specific knife that you recommend? My Henckels are looking at an early retirement as I find replacements...

post-7281-0-17320300-1415295367_thumb.jpg

I like my Henckels but they are not on the same level as the Japanese knife that I bought. The German knives are thicker and seem to be better for certain tasks like cutting through bone or cartilage. The Japanese knives are thin and made from a steel that takes a razor sharp edge. They slice so much better. It will rust or tarnish though if it is not cared for properly though.

There does seem to be a few manufacturers like Shun that are more marketing than substance though. Kind of like the BOSE of Japanese knives and riding the wave of increased interest.

Edited by chknwing334

This is the BEST knife if not looking to spend a butt load, for $40 bucks this is an absolute bargain!

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B000638D32

BTW, Asians knifes were typically honed to 15 degrees, western 22. But, now most Western knives are going to 15 degrees as well.

I have several Wustof knives, end up using this chefs knife more often than not.

Edited by plenzmd1

This is the BEST knife if not looking to spend a butt load, for $40 bucks this is an absolute bargain!

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B000638D32

BTW, Asians knifes were typically honed to 15 degrees, western 22. But, now most Western knives are going to 15 degrees as well.

I have several Wustof knives, end up using this chefs knife more often than not.

Americas Test Kitchen favorite (budget) knife is it not?

I love the Shun knives we have. The 10" Shun I use for pretty much everything. Very sharp and when I've had a few wabbly pops and finely mince garlic I appreciate the fine, clean cut it does to my finger. I bought the one below for my son for xmas 4 or 5 years ago. I know overkill but it's cool as hell and came with it's own wooden holder. Wasn't as expensive back then. We have a few Henkles as well but always seem to end up using the Japanese ones. The one 10" Henkle is so dull I think the first time it got sharpened the guy fugged it up. It hasn't been good since.

http://shun.kaiusalt...-in-chefs-knife

@Chef. When I read Bourdain's book he said pretty much what you say. He uses a cheap 10" "International" brand. I think that's what he said. It's been a while.

Edited by Dante

My favorite knife is a piece of **** I've had for over 20 years. As long as its sharp, holds an edge no need to go for the $$$ ones. I did early in my career but realized they didn't make me cook any better.

Key point: if it's dull and won't hold an edge, ditch it. Goes for knives, chisels, plane blades, ice skates, scissors...a dull edge is more dangerous than a sharp one.