LaCanfora: CBA Trouble for 2011 Draft Class

How the CBA is trouble for a 2011 draft class playing out of its mind

For the first time in NFL history, a group of players is facing the prospect of having a fifth-year option hanging over them. It's uncharted territory, a new quirk from this collective bargaining agreement with the 2011 first-round picks the first to experience this phenomenon of teams being able to extend their contracts with the mere stroke of a pen.

And whether coincidence or not, a good number of those players -- particularly those who really needed to step up -- are playing some of the best football of their lives. We are more than halfway through this regular season, and by and large these 2011 picks continue to shine, which could be setting up some serious showdowns this offseason. We know by now most players despise the franchise tag; well, these fifth-year options are worth much less by and large and with so many of these particular players excelling, I can already see some of the headlines that are coming when some of these guys balk at showing for offseason work or call their employer's bluff. This mechanism in the CBA works decidedly in management's favor, and the closer we get to the end of this season, the more you can expect to hear about the disdain that exists for this process.

When does the option have to be officially declared either way? Anyone? Bueller? Don't have time to look it up.

Not sure about the official time frame, but the Bills exercised the option on Marcel in August.

GO BILLS!!!

Think it was before the season started, sometime in August. (edit) it was May 3rd this year

What i am not sure of is the option guaranteed in picked up by the team?

Guaranteed against injury, but not fully guaranteed to start of 2015 League year. For Darius, it was at TRansition number as he was a top 10 pick.

Edited by plenzmd1

When we see the 'disdain' for the NFLPA representatives who negotiated deal and money received from it?

I just hope that somewhere soon and when the next new deal is reached people look back at how important Ralph's voice was to this sport, because I worry the voice of reason is going to be lost with today's owners who did not do anything to build the league.

I just hope that somewhere soon and when the next new deal is reached people look back at how important Ralph's voice was to this sport, because I worry the voice of reason is going to be lost with today's owners who did not do anything to build the league.

Today's owners negotiated a CBA that guaranteed the ability to grow the league bigger than it has ever been.

Most of these same owners helped grow the league to the juggernaut it currently is and has become over the past 20 years.

so I'm no cap guru...but that mean marcel is signed through next year. Can jerry be signed to a deal where his cap is huge next year then falls off so we can sign marcel the following year? the cap is going up to like 140+ next year so we should have some room.