Is NASCAR Scirpted?

plenzmd1

I am not a NASCAR fan, but I get the impression all this fighting after the races is being scripted and encouraged by NASCAR to drive ratings. None of these guys ever get suspended or anything right ? If they trying to lure casual guys like me, turning into WWE is not the way to do it.

i don't think it's scripted. i've seen the fighting spill over into community events like golf outings. it's just redneck normalcy and has been going on since the moonshine running beginnings of the sport. the fights aren't a consequence of the falling popularity of nascar. the opposite is the truth. it gets boring.

If NASCAR were scripted, it'd be far more interesting.

Theres only so much you can do with "well this week they go around in a circle 500 times. Just wait until next week when they go around in a circle 500 times BUT in a different god forsaken area of the country".

Theres only so much you can do with "well this week they go around in a circle 500 times. Just wait until next week when they go around in a circle 500 times BUT in a different god forsaken area of the country".

What's your opinion on F1?

NASCAR fines these guys a lot. It is a lot more complicated then you'd think, with regard to the fights and rivalries.

First racers all sort of come up thru the same system. Often starting in the midget and go-cart series and working their way up by the age of 12-15 where they are racing street stock, minis or other types of smaller venue races. By the age of 16-19 they're usually in the Nationwide Series, which is the old Busch Series. These are the same cars with smaller engines and different other fine tuned setups. After working their way up and out of the pack in a very competitive sport they rise to the next level.

Anyway, these guys are not the rednecks personified by many, and are far from that actually. They're not scripted. These guys are just competitive and you just need to follow the sport more to see they're actually this angry and carry these grudges. From going on local radio shows and trashing each other to fighting in person.

The media covers the fights because that's all the layman ever cares about.

i don't think it's scripted. i've seen the fighting spill over into community events like golf outings. it's just redneck normalcy and has been going on since the moonshine running beginnings of the sport. the fights aren't a consequence of the falling popularity of nascar. the opposite is the truth. it gets boring.

it does go back to the beginnings but it is not normalcy. You're in a car, stuck there and can't really do much but bump and rub in the car - which they do. When they get out they really go at it. It's road rage times one hundred.

I have no interest in any form of car racing. It just doesn't appeal to me on any level.

I think if you visited a local track you might enjoy it a little more.

never had any desire for the sport myself, then i went to my first richmond race, while i am still not a huge fan, i now enjoy watching the races each week, you really do need to have a racer to root for, otherwise you will lose interest, but seeing these cars up close and in person is very impressive. and the fan interaction with other fans and the drivers is a pretty cool thing to witness as well.

I think if you visited a local track you might enjoy it a little more.

it never interested me and been to a fair few races even when earnhart was still racing and tickets were very hard to get. the only time i've enjoyed nascar was sitting behind the wheel in the petty experience. now that's cool. be even cooler if they let you actually race each other. but watching somebody else do it ? nah, just doesn't appeal to me.

Sometimes they even use oval tracks. F1 is the way too go.

it never interested me and been to a fair few races even when earnhart was still racing and tickets were very hard to get. the only time i've enjoyed nascar was sitting behind the wheel in the petty experience. now that's cool. be even cooler if they let you actually race each other. but watching somebody else do it ? nah, just doesn't appeal to me.

If you ever visit Dubai hit the F1 Track spend some cash you will never forget that experience. Buy, the full insurance package though.

It is hilarious, those little sissy munchkins ,cat fighting. It`s almost like watching basketball players backing up throwing punches. It did look a little staged.C`mon man.

Collin Coward had an interesting point today about it -- even if it was low hanging fruit. Essentially that when NASCAR drivers fight it's "part of being a good ol' boy", when NBA players fight (which seldom happens), they're called thugs by the same folk.

Don't need a sociology professor to figure out why that is.

Collin Coward had an interesting point today about it -- even if it was low hanging fruit. Essentially that when NASCAR drivers fight it's "part of being a good ol' boy", when NBA players fight (which seldom happens), they're called thugs by the same folk.

Don't need a sociology professor to figure out why that is.

Similarly, you don't need advanced degrees in history or race relations to see how those who self-identify as thugs and gangstas might eventually get called thugs and gangstas. These are terms that were revived and reintroduced to the mainstream lexicon by those who subscribe to hip hop culture. If you emulate, dress like, speak like those who identify as thugs you might get called a thug. While its becoming quite convenient to push the idea that these terms were appropriated by racist white guys who desperately needed a substitute for the N word, its just not the case. I believe 2014 marks the 20th anniversary of the release of Thug Life.

Similarly, you don't need advanced degrees in history or race relations to see how those who self-identify as thugs and gangstas might eventually get called thugs and gangstas. These are terms that were revived and reintroduced to the mainstream lexicon by those who subscribe to hip hop culture. If you emulate, dress like, speak like those who identify as thugs you might get called a thug. While its becoming quite convenient to push the idea that these terms were appropriated by racist white guys who desperately needed a substitute for the N word, its just not the case. I believe 2014 marks the 20th anniversary of the release of Thug Life.

I hear you, and you're not wrong. But one doesn't dismiss the other. The word thug has absolutely been hijacked by folks who don't want to use the N word. But it also pre-dates hip hop in terms of classifying black culture as thuggish. Go look at some op-eds from the 50s and 60s in the south and you'll see it plenty.