Thoughts on who will coach Jets in 2015

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless they go on a tear in 2nd half (highly unlikely), then it's near a certainty Rex won't be coaching Jets come next season.

Some possible candidates:

- Rob Ryan: Don't laugh, stranger things have happened and this is the Jets

- Bill Cowher: (my darkhorse favorite) Already in NYC for broadcasting, probably loves the big market spotlight. Think he'll like Jets core of decent players, high draft picks, and cap space

- Darrell Bevell: Not sure why his name always comes up since Seattle is really known for defense, but it does so I'll put him here

- Josh McDaniels: He left Bellichick before, he wants to be a head coach. But would he betray him for a division rival? Never know, these teams have a weird history of coach movements

- Kyle Shanahan: First time in years Browns have an offense. With something to hang his hat on, just a matter of time before "the other" Shanahan gets a shot

- Jim Schwartz: If Bills D ends up Top 3, it's possible. Last year we lost a 1-year DC after he got credit for a big move up the defensive rankings

I have high hopes they keep the same coaching staff. :thumbsup:

Jon Gruden said he would coach for the Raiders given the chance.

I think he'll want to stay out west where it is warmer

Yes I believe he said the only way he would coach again is if it was for the Oakland Raiders.

I think the Jet's go for an offensive minded head coach assuming they ditch Rex. I think their smarter move would be to give Rex full reign as GM/head coach. But I don't think they will do that.

I have high hopes they keep the same coaching staff. :thumbsup:

It could happen. Given the backbreaking nature of their season you'd think the decision to get rid of Ryan would have been made already. If that decision was made, keeping a coach on when you intend to get rid of them at the end of the year is not viewed favorably. They can't start looking into a new coach with Ryan still there as any coach worth a damn would turn it down. There's little reason for them to *keep* Ryan if they already made the decision which means it's still possible they decide to keep him which is amazing given the last 4 years.

Edited by jeremy2020

So why not the Jets

because they are, and always have been "Jersey B" - everybody knows the Giants are "new york citys" team...just like the rangers are the hockey team, the giants are the football team

only rejects and long islanders actually root for the Jets/Islanders

Rex will still be HC , the players like him. The problem is GM , although Harvin trade could a good one. Geno was a mess but Vick will get in the groove soon enough.

If by that you mean "get stuck in a deep rut" then I agree with you. Vick is a has been. He is done. He isn't a real threat with either his arm or his legs anymore.

Rex will still be HC , the players like him. The problem is GM , although Harvin trade could a good one. Geno was a mess but Vick will get in the groove soon enough.

Haha. Vick is terrible. Ryan is a great defensive coach and a good head coach. IF he went to a team with an established franchise QB, he'd be a great coach. He just can't find a QB.

And the hard on people have for Cowher is crazy. Has he been out of the NFL 10 years noW? Also, Dick LeBeau deserves almost as much credit as Cowher for their success. Tomlin has stepped in and hasn't missed a beat.

I hope they go the retrend, big splash route. I'd hate to see a creative college coach go there.

If by that you mean "get stuck in a deep rut" then I agree with you. Vick is a has been. He is done. He isn't a real threat with either his arm or his legs anymore.

And that's what I don't get about the win games now at all costs mentality of the NFL. At this point, the Jests are done this season. They know what Vick is. Why not let Geno play it out? If he gets better with the experience and wins some games in the process, great. If he doesn't then you know for sure you need a QB and the losing moves you up higher in the draft. Sucks for the people buying the tickets, and they would hear about it (particularly in NYC), but trying to eek out a couple more wins with a known quantity veteran QB makes no long term sense.

Edited by CodeMonkey

And that's what I don't get about the win games now at all costs mentality of the NFL. At this point, the Jests are done this season. They know what Vick is. Why not let Geno play it out? If he gets better with the experience and wins some games in the process, great. If he doesn't then you know for sure you need a QB and the losing moves you up higher in the draft. Sucks for the people buying the tickets, and they would hear about it (particularly in NYC), but trying to eek out a couple more wins with a known quantity veteran QB makes no long term sense.

You are right. But you are looking at it from an outsider perspective. Right now there are still plenty of Jets fans and coaching staff who want to try to salvage the season to save further embarrassment.

You are right. But you are looking at it from an outsider perspective. Right now there are still plenty of Jets fans and coaching staff who want to try to salvage the season to save further embarrassment.

But to what end? Is going from 2-14 to 4-12 going to save them any embarrassment? I know what you are saying is correct, but I would feel the same way if it were the Bills. If the Bills were 1-7 or 0-8 right now I'd want the Bills to know once and for all about Manuel and would want him starting the rest of the season. Granted I'm not buying tickets however ;)

Jim Harbaugh

Agreed. I'd think they'd want and would go after Hardbaugh. Move up as highs as possible and gt a pocket QB or someone to tuck in the in fold for year 2.

Also see a college coach being brought in similar to what's his name O'Brien in Houston.