A look at EJ's past month

YoloinOhio

I thought the whole thing with Orton not taking any crap with WR's in practice was very interesting......

I like EJ...think he has a ton of potential...but frankly he has always come across too nice which is part of the problem......this is also why it is good for EJ to sit behind a experienced vet and see how he handles things (to start with WR's in practice)

"You run your routes correctly in practice and give effort....or Im not throwing to you in the games"

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. I think many QB's, including Steve Young and Aaron Rogers, benefitted greatly by sitting on the sidelines, learning to become a pro. This is the way QB's used to be developed before the investment became so large that Head Coaches and GM's careers were tied to a young QB's success. Although game time development is important, so is learning how to control a huddle, locker room, etc. I believe a young player can learn to make better decisions by watching a veteran up close.

I am not saying his future success is a guarantee, but I believe he still has plenty of time to develop. Hopefully he will be better suited to succeed the next time his number is called.

I agree with and am a strong proponent of sitting a QB for his first and preferably second season in the NFL so that he can learn the offense, defenses, professional preparation, etc. but after that I just don't think there is any benefit to sitting. The plan was for Manuel to back up Kolb his first year or two but it didn't happen. At this point he has gone through the initial growing pains with whatever damage to his confidence that they inflicted. I think the benefit from sitting now is strictly to get everyone off his back and to try and restore his confidence. I really don't think he's going to learn anything more about executing until he gets back in there.

Edited by vincec