A look at EJ's past month

YoloinOhio

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly don't think Manuel can learn all that much sitting on the sidelines. He's NOT a rookie, despite what some people keep trying to imply. He knows the playbook. Everything he needs to learn at this point comes from game action, and you can't simulate it in 30 minute sessions 2 hours before each game. I think he'll get another shot down the road, either with Buffalo or somewhere else. I wish him luck because that will probably be his last chance to make it in the NFL.

This may sound prickish, but 30 minutes? You get to play the game so many of us would kill to get the chance and you devote an extra two hours a week? I work 70-80 hours a week, and I don't make anywhere near what they do. I wonder how much time Peyton Manning puts in each week? When you really want something (raise/promotion), you put everything you can into it. You don't just do the minimum plus one.

I honestly don't think Manuel can learn all that much sitting on the sidelines. He's NOT a rookie, despite what some people keep trying to imply. He knows the playbook. Everything he needs to learn at this point comes from game action, and you can't simulate it in 30 minute sessions 2 hours before each game. I think he'll get another shot down the road, either with Buffalo or somewhere else. I wish him luck because that will probably be his last chance to make it in the NFL.

I disagree with everything in this post.

I have been skeptical about Manuel's ability to significantly increasse his accuracy level. That is the central issue with him. My feeling is that an inaccurate qb rarely develops the sharp accuracy to play in a tight window passing game. However, EJ is a physically gifted athlete who is also a high character guy. He has a tremendous work ethic in which he will use to improve his erratic mechanics.

EJ was a developmental type prospect who was thrust into action before he was prepared to do so. As a backuup he is in the role that he should have been when he joined the team. When he was replaced by Orton he didn't mope and complain. He reacted with class and dignity. His response was to work harder on his game. With that type of mature attitude you can't help rooting for him.

The bottom line is that EJ has some impressive assets and he has some glaring flaws, mostly associated with his mechanics and passing skills. If he can smooth out his flaws he will have a chance to be a legitimate franchise qb. If not he will fall by the wayside in this very tough show me business.

!@#$ me. Seems OBD won't have the integrity or the balls to flat out say they made a mistake. So what...4 more years of hoping this clown becomes a QB? SOSDD at OBD. I pray the new Owner cleans house from top to bottom

Are you aware that he was benched in the first third of the season for a veteran qb? If that isn't an acknowledgement that at ths time he wasn't ready to be a starter then what is?

This may sound prickish, but 30 minutes? You get to play the game so many of us would kill to get the chance and you devote an extra two hours a week? I work 70-80 hours a week, and I don't make anywhere near what they do. I wonder how much time Peyton Manning puts in each week? When you really want something (raise/promotion), you put everything you can into it. You don't just do the minimum plus one.

An extra 30 minutes on top of what is already a very demanding and time intensive career. I would not be surprised that each football player spends 70-80 hours a week before any "extra" time. The discipline and demand of staying in the shape most of these players are in requires a lot of time each week before any football related activity.

It is an extraordinary amount of talent, time and proper coaching needed to be in a position of success for this league. This extra 30 minutes they were talking about is strictly an extra 30 minutes with his quarterbacks coach. This does not speak to his work ethic or time spent outside of that 30 minute period with his coach.

One thing Kevin Durant said that I like and in my opinion relates to EJ Manuel is "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." Everything we've heard about EJ leads me to believe he will do much better a second time around. I believe he was trying to protect the ball and didn't trust himself enough. He has the talent and he works hard. As a Bills fan I can't do anything but root for this young man and hope he succeeds here.

Why would I hope for anything less? I don't see the sense in that as a Bills fan.

Hackett is simply wrong. Accuracy definitely has a lot of components to it...but at its base level it is all about guys with a gift for throwing. If anything EJ would be better off throwing anything and everything...get him a damn dart board at home. Have him pitch a baseball. Get him on the move and force him to take a little bit of the football to make it more catchable.

I mean, some of that is probably ridiculous but that's just b/c you really aren't going to learn to throw in the NFL. When you draft guys...their ability throwing the football is the main thing. EJ had everything except that (and except the mindset). He played safe at FSU and was taught his whole life not to push too hard and just operate the offense letting the people around him carry the weight. Then we drafted him and expected him to go sling the rock when we needed it to win...shocking it didn't work out.

I like EJ. But an article about spending a half hour before games and after practice ... and about him saying he is going to "let it rip"...means nothing to me. I think EJ may develop into a serviceable backup one day. That's abut it. He can't throw.

Just look at Jameis last Thursday. He threw picks and didn't have a great game....but he was leaning on his back foot while on the move and dropping dimes over the shoulder 30 yards downfield in the endzone...got a penalty and did it again. Jameis, for whatever else he is, is a guy who can throw. He's a good pitcher. He's a good thrower of the football. He's good with his arm. EJ is not.

Edited by MoreOffense

a positive EJ thread turns to a negative thread.

it's 30 extra minutes after the normal practice

the O this season is different from the O last season fast paced to a normal pace ..

one big plus

SJ13 v SW14

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

"You know what, Stan, if you want me to wear 37 pieces of flair, like your pretty boy over there, Brian, why don't you just make the minimum 37 pieces of flair?"

good on EJ......shame on the coaches.

an extra 20 minutes ?? whoopee!!

preparation for the backup QB is whacked.

the backup should duplicating exactly whatever the starter did. just with the other backups.

if the starter is getting 100 reps, then after the starters are done, the backups should run the exact same routine.

good on EJ......shame on the coaches.

an extra 20 minutes ?? whoopee!!

preparation for the backup QB is whacked.

the backup should duplicating exactly whatever the starter did. just with the other backups.

if the starter is getting 100 reps, then after the starters are done, the backups should run the exact same routine.

We talkin' bout practice. There are rules about how long you can practice.

We should all hope EJ becomes great. Everyone's welcome to their assessment but nothing wrong with rooting for him. People act like they'd be happier if he was publicly pouting.... and last in and first out of practice. KO's just better right now. EJ will have to prove otherwise over time...or remain in current role.