Marino tutoring Tannehill

YoloinOhio

I like Tannehill as a player and think he'll have a good career. He has progressed every season and has played a lot better in the last 4 weeks than in the first 3 weeks. He definitely has the tools to be good -- you can see that when you watch him.

He has also cut down on the sacks this year.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TannRy00.htm

I was never that impressed with Marino's football IQ. Sure, its probably very high. But he reminds me of someone like Favre. The type that can play very highly, knows the game and how to play. Knows how to talk about it and maybe explain it. But doesn't seem any bit capable of coaching it.

Coaching is very different. Its hard for most to understand how much different then simply playing the game.

I had the same thoughts and decided to read the threads before posting. I remember reading about some noted QB (I don't think it was Rodgers) working out with Favre and finding it frustrating, because Favre was saying "do this" and going zip...zip....zip without explaining.

He might not even know how to explain it. I had a friend who was a genius mathematician, He sucked at explaining calculus to his freshman friends. "That's an integral sign, these are differentials, just what don't you understand?" (honestly puzzled)

A lot of great athletes are instinctive players: they do what they do, but they neither know what they do or how, exactly, they do it.

But if he's coaching him on film study or preparation or something, that might work.

I like Tannehill as a player and think he'll have a good career. He has progressed every season and has played a lot better in the last 4 weeks than in the first 3 weeks. He definitely has the tools to be good -- you can see that when you watch him.

He has also cut down on the sacks this year.

http://www.pro-footb.../T/TannRy00.htm

He was 17th in QBR as a rookie. He's 21st this year after finishing 21st last year.

And Tannehill is already great at losing to the Bills without Marino teaching him. :)

He was 17th in QBR as a rookie. He's 21st this year after finishing 21st last year.

And Tannehill is already great at losing to the Bills without Marino teaching him. :)

Watch the games, my friend. He is improving, he can throw, and he's a good athlete. His accuracy is a lot better too. He may struggle against the Bills -- which I'm happy about, of course -- but there are 30 other teams. Bear in mind that he only played one season at QB in college. I foresee him being the sort of player who is a quality starter by his late 20s (he's 26 now).

In his last for games, his completion pct is 68.3, his ypa is 8.1, and his QBR is 98.1. He has also rushed 19 times for 180 yards (9.5 ypc). Granted, they're a weaker group overall (Oak, GB, Jax, and Chicago), but still.

Edited by dave mcbride

Watch the games, my friend. He is improving, he can throw, and he's a good athlete. His accuracy is a lot better too. He may struggle against the Bills -- which I'm happy about, of course -- but there are 30 other teams. Bear in mind that he only played one season at QB in college. I foresee him being the sort of player who is a quality starter by his late 20s (he's 26 now).

In his last for games, his completion pct is 68.3, his ypa is 8.1, and his QBR is 98.1. He has also rushed 19 times for 180 yards (9.5 ypc). Granted, they're a weaker group overall (Oak, GB, Jax, and Chicago), but still.

He isn't consistent at all. He had a great matchup against the Jags to follow up a good performance the week before and was not good (I started him in fantasy!).

He's not the worst but I really don't see anything special. He strikes me as a middle of the road at best starter. He could win on the right team but he will never carry a team. JMO. I do respect the Fins for sticking with him when everyone wanted to bench him though.