Is the 2014 D better than the 1999 D?

I know that our 1999 D was one of the best we've seen and a lot of Bills fans think that team could have gone the distance if not for Bum's son decision to bench Flutie... because we could have beaten St. Louis...

But boy does this year's D look good and in my opinion better than our 1999 D.

Thoughts?

Lots of similarities on the D-Line….LB's probably a push or maybe advantage 99….I think that we might be better in the secondary with this unit.

When I think back to those defenses: I think that Sam Cowart was going to be one all-time great Bills LB ….until TB destroyed his knee.

Absolutely. Sam Cowart was better than any linebacker we've had since that piece of garbage frnk middleton ruined his career with that cheap shot. it was a ruptured achilles

but the 99 defense was way better. They were a little rough on 3rd and long sometimes, but they sure as hell would not have let Brady march up and down the field like he does against this group.

The 1999 team was one covered kickoff from a very realistic run to the Super Bowl, where I think they would have beaten Saint Louis. This year's defense has its strengths but let's not get carried away.

That's the year they went all-in for the SB. Butler knew they would be in salary cap hell the next season and for seasons to come. If I recall correctly, it was Butler's last year, so a good time to scoot. Bruce, Thurman, and Andre's last season as a Bill. That was a great D, very underrated.