No Pettine, Kiko, or Byrd ... No problem

YoloinOhio

@MoveTheSticks: Bills Defense leads the NFL in sacks (28) and INTs (12)

I had to look up 3rd down conversion % because it just feels to me that we haven't been very good in that category. Seems I was wrong. We're currently 6th in the NFL with 36.21%, better than last years 37.14%. Though yesterday we were 47.37%.

I think you see what you had in Byrd now that he's gone. An opportunistic player when it came to interceptions, but very possibly not such a great safety from a scheme perspective. It's funny how the team got instantly better when they dumped 'Lil donte, and now the Byrd is gone, they seem to be even better.

Can't agree about Byrd. Like most safeties, he benefited from a better defensive front 7, but Byrd was good in run support as well. He had some outstanding open field tackles that made me jump out of my seat! Byrd was an excellent safety while he was here. While I would have loved to keep him, our DL is too good/expensive to pay a safety that much money.

Agreed million %. This is almost a SB quality defense. It'd be a shame if Nate Hackett ruins it. Hopefully, we make the playoffs and someone hires him as a head coach.

Well this defense is looking great but how did they look against San Diego and the Pats? I am curious to see how they perform against Broncos, Pack and Pats as that will determine if they really are a Super Bowl caliber defense.

We need to hang onto Schwartz.....cant let him get away like we did Pettine.

I think we have a better chance because he is a retread coach and not a up and comer.

Until we go into a season where both Oakland and Cleveland do not have a head coach opening, we won't be safe. While I like Pettine, he was hired out of desperation.

I had to look up 3rd down conversion % because it just feels to me that we haven't been very good in that category. Seems I was wrong. We're currently 6th in the NFL with 36.21%, better than last years 37.14%. Though yesterday we were 47.37%.

Yep we were 4th in the NFL before yesterday. Yesterday and the Patriots game are the outliers in what has otherwise been a very good 3rd down defense. We all hate seeing teams convert on 3rd down... but you know the other side are out there trying to make plays too. Sometimes they are going to make them... this is the NFL.

Well this defense is looking great but how did they look against San Diego and the Pats? I am curious to see how they perform against Broncos, Pack and Pats as that will determine if they really are a Super Bowl caliber defense.

They looked good against San Diego. Only the Chiefs and the Cardinals have held them in check better. We lost that game because our offense couldn't make the plays. We held a quality offense to just over 300 yards and 22 points. That is where your offense needs to step up and make a game of it. Against the Patriots yes that was a loss for which the defense takes a large chunk of the blame.

This is a fair point. The Bills have faced only 2 significant offenses (hard to count a Detroit without Megatron). The rest has been Cutler, Tannehill, Fitz, Teddy Pendergast and Geno Vick. Not exactly a murderer's row of QB led talent...and it will be more of the same in November.

Only 2 weeks ago, this D laid down to NE in the 2nd half. We need to see how they do against the best QBs in the league in December.

I have no hope of beating Brady or Manning in December. Rodgers is a slight possibility at home, and because Schwartz is very familiar with him and that offense. I wouldn't bet on it though. I think KC is actually a big challenge. Our D pretty much shut down their offense last year at home. They will need to do the same thing again to win, because KC has another outstanding DL.

I have no hope of beating Brady or Manning in December. Rodgers is a slight possibility at home, and because Schwartz is very familiar with him and that offense. I wouldn't bet on it though. I think KC is actually a big challenge. Our D pretty much shut down their offense last year at home. They will need to do the same thing again to win, because KC has another outstanding DL.

How much familiarity really helps when all you're familiar with is how to get dominated?

Being DC here = head coach maker.

Our defense is absolutely loaded. All we have is 1st rounders (including a #1 overall and #3) and one of the best picks in team history (Kyle Williams). You have to be an idiot to not be successful here (Wanny).

As bad as our offense has been under Marrone, he has been money at picking DCs.

The Starting 11 has 7 1 round picks. (assuming Bradham's upcoming benching for Rivers)

The other 4 are Aaron Williams (2nd), Kyle Williams all-pro (5th round pick), Preston Brown (3rd round Defensive ROY candidate), Da'Norris Searcy (4th)

The pure talent surpasses any team bar none.

Now they are actually playing like it in Both the run and the pass.

You'd have to be a relic from the early 90s to screw it up.

Edited by Why So Serious?