Are all the English majors that failed to find work posting here?

it depends. If you know the differenve between your and you're but type the former when it should be the latter because you type too fast or don't proofread that's not a biggie (I fall into that category all the time). But if you do it constantly (too vs to is another one) you come across as not very intelligent. I almost never become the grammar Nazi (unless it's perfect Tom of course) but it does make me cringe and I hate it when I do it. I probably did it here a couple of times in this post.

This.

One of the few enduring memories of my education is Father Brissette marking down a paper I had submitted in sophomore year English. He wrote in big red letters something to the effect that 'we are conditioned to think of people who can't or won't spell or write clearly as being unable to think clearly.'

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find this good golly I finally get a chance to use my worthless education by correcting grammar and spelling on a internet forum irritating. And such glee they show at finding a mistake! You used your! Its you're! Who the hell cares? I understood the post fine.

How dare you insult 26 like that !!!! .... :lol:

You started a sentence with 'And'???? Common man, your a maroon, irregardless of what others might say

Very good. If you take guff for using irregardless, I will defend you. Irregardless IS a word and it is in the dictionary. It's an adverb and the nonstandard version of regardless. It is perfectly correct to use both. Many won't accept it, but it is correct.

"Main Entry: ir·re·gard·less

Pronunciation: \ˌir-i-ˈgärd-ləs\

Function: adverb

Etymology: probably blend of irrespective and regardless

Date: circa 1912

nonstandard :  regardless

usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance."

One of the few enduring memories of my education is Father Brissette marking down a paper I had submitted in sophomore year English. He wrote in big red letters something to the effect that 'we are conditioned to think of people who can't or won't spell or write clearly as being unable to think clearly.'

Father Brissette would probably have a stroke if he read what the conservatives are putting down on PPP. Okay, he's sounds like he is most likely dead... He's rolling over in his grave.

;-P ;-)

Father Brissette would probably have a stroke if he read what the conservatives are putting down on PPP.

Just cuz you're used Catholic Priests "having a stroke" when you open your mouth doesn't mean the rest of the world is as experienced

Edited by /dev/null

Some of us find functional illiteracy irritating, and try to correct it. Don't like it? Then don't read it, fool.

I won't bother correcting the copious mistakes in your post that made it difficult to read, since you'd clearly rather be a drooling dunce.

Harsh talk from someone who doesn't seem to be able to keep a job. Edited by Jim in Anchorage

The regular demonstration of one's being grammar challenged and oblivious to punctuation rules as generally accepted by those who use the written word to communicate isn't a badge of honor. The essence of written communication is to clearly convey the intended meaning of the message. It's only polite to try to be clear. Then again, this is the Intarwebs.

The improper use of "then" instead of "than" is a pet peeve of mine.

I'd rather go to the game than go home.

I'd rather go to the game then go home.

Much different messages.

Very good. If you take guff for using irregardless, I will defend you. Irregardless IS a word and it is in the dictionary. It's an adverb and the nonstandard version of regardless. It is perfectly correct to use both. Many won't accept it, but it is correct.

"Main Entry: ir·re·gard·less

Pronunciation: \ˌir-i-ˈgärd-ləs\

Function: adverb

Etymology: probably blend of irrespective and regardless

Date: circa 1912

nonstandard :  regardless

usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance."

Father Brissette would probably have a stroke if he read what the conservatives are putting down on PPP. Okay, he's sounds like he is most likely dead... He's rolling over in his grave.

;-P ;-)

I hate irregardless so much. I hate its guts. It serves no niche use in the English language and serves to ruin some of the few shaky rules that exist. The prefix ir- is supposed to mean "not," and when you make the word with ir- have the same definitions as the one without it, it's stupid.

Edited by FireChan

For what it's worth, I still use 2 spaces after a period and will continue to do so

And a comma goes before the last item in a list ("A, B, and C." Not "A, B and C.")

And the proper use of "a" and "an" with respect to words beginning with "h" is: use "an" if the "h" is silent, but "a" if it's aspirated ("an honor" but "a house.")

I hate irregardless so much. I hate its guts. It serves no niche use in the English language and serves to ruin some of the few shaky rules that exist. The prefix ir- is supposed to mean "not," and when you make the word with ir- have the same definitions as the one without it, it's stupid.

Like "flammable" and "inflammable." Can we ditch one of those?

;-P ;-)

No question about it! The Jesuits are some of the wackiest liberals around! :lol:

I had one lefty loon in HS give me a D on an A paper because she didn't like my POV. Next time I wrote something I didn't believe one word of and naturally got an A. I have a long history with the forces of tolerance! :lol:

No question about it! The Jesuits are some of the wackiest liberals around! :lol:

I had one lefty loon in HS give me a D on an A paper because she didn't like my POV. Next time I wrote something I didn't believe one word of and naturally got an A. I have a long history with the forces of tolerance! :lol:

LMAO... I figured!

"The Forces of Tolerance."

I love it! Ha!

I'm an English major...but I minored in 19th Century East African Lesbian Poets - so I'm really confused with my sexuality and, as a result, gloss over punctuation/grammar.

I'm an English major too, sir. Yes, it's true we're jobless, so to speak, but I've never ever corrected anyone for punctuation or grammar. In my enlightened opinion, Real True English majors are more than capable of digesting Cockney, Redneck, Jive, Cajun, and our absolute favorite is wading though absolute Jibberish. We've taken courses in Linguistics, you see...

It's the jobless History majors that you need to address your concerns to, Mr. OP. It's their training to remind you of useless irrelevant "facts," and they are more than gleeful to remind you on such-and-such a date, when you spelled such as suck or some such irrespectual thing.

Anyone for tennis, or a spot of tea?

I'm an English major too, sir. Yes, it's true we're jobless, so to speak, but I've never ever corrected anyone for punctuation or grammar. In my enlightened opinion, Real True English majors are more than capable of digesting Cockney, Redneck, Jive, Cajun, and our absolute favorite is wading though absolute Jibberish. We've taken courses in Linguistics, you see...

It's the jobless History majors that you need to address your concerns to, Mr. OP. It's their training to remind you of useless irrelevant "facts," and they are more than gleeful to remind you on such-and-such a date, when you spelled such as suck or some such irrespectual thing.

Anyone for tennis, or a spot of tea?

"Real True English majors are more than capable of digesting Cockney, Redneck, Jive, Cajun, and our absolute favorite is wading though absolute Jibberish. We've taken courses in Linguistics, you see..."

So true, LMAO. Probably explains this:

My wife earned her MA is English and then realized: "Where the heck I am going to get a job?" Going on to earn her PhD in English would only deepen things... Academia was just not her cup of tea (to an extent).

So... She went on to get her MLS (Masters in Library (and Information) Science) from the UofI (Urbana/Champaign) and became the director of a medium-large public library while transforming it into the 21st century (tech, etc... transition). She's going on almost 20 years now since her choice to ditch the English path for a more "science" approach.

There IS hope for you English majors in the REAL world if you want to call public libraries real world. LoL

i thought that final comma before the 'and' was optional but i guess thinking about it it makes perfect sense that it isn't, it groups b & c as one option and a as a separate option

And a comma goes before the last item in a list ("A, B, and C." Not "A, B and C.")

And the proper use of "a" and "an" with respect to words beginning with "h" is: use "an" if the "h" is silent, but "a" if it's aspirated ("an honor" but "a house.")

Like "flammable" and "inflammable." Can we ditch one of those?