Federal judge rejects (harshly) gay marriage in Puerto Rico

nice way to completely miss my point.I am not interested in debating the 2nd here. I am saying why is it considered that a marriage license issued in any state or territory must be as per the constitution [according to DC Tom] recognized as valid in any other state or territory but a gun license has no such constitutional protection?

I am not arguing the 2nd. I am assuming the answer to your question is in the wording of the second. There is a difference between arguing the 2nd and finding the answer to your question in the 2nd.

Here's the full text. Take careful note of the commas. We could go round and round all day. Dig up how it has been interpreted by The Court through the years:

II

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

We can start here-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald_v._Chicago

I can't wait to hear you explain this. If it's in the constitution that a state must recognize a marriage licenses from out of state, why can they decide to not recognize a out of state pistol permit?

The full faith and credit clause was written primarily to preserve judgments across state lines. That way a party can't just run off to another state to escape enforcement of a judgment rendered. Its use has since been expanded to marriages (traditionally this was always the case), child custody orders, and protection orders (to name a few). Gun permits have not been included yet. You would need the Supreme Court or Congress to take a liberal (read: broad) view of the clause once again in order to get a court decision or some legislation through in order for this to happen.

nice way to completely miss my point.I am not interested in debating the 2nd here. I am saying why is it considered that a marriage license issued in any state or territory must be as per the constitution [according to DC Tom] recognized as valid in any other state or territory but a gun license has no such constitutional protection?

It's not "considered," it's my opinion, based on existing precedent (namely: that marriage licenses are already recognized across state lines according to the "full faith and credit" clause).

And you're an idiot for bringing up gun licenses in the context of gay marriage. The question "Why doesn't the full faith and credit clause apply to gun licenses?" stands well enough on its own. The only reason to present that the way you asked is as some sort of bull **** attempt to argue that, since gun licenses are an exception to the clause, thus so should be marriage licenses.

The full faith and credit clause was written primarily to preserve judgments across state lines. That way a party can't just run off to another state to escape enforcement of a judgment rendered. Its use has since been expanded to marriages (traditionally this was always the case), child custody orders, and protection orders (to name a few).

Drivers' licenses, divorce decrees, child support, bench warrants, name changes, tax liens...

Not alcohol licenses, insurance licenses, notary commissions...

Drivers' licenses, divorce decrees, child support, bench warrants, name changes, tax liens...

Not alcohol licenses, insurance licenses, notary commissions...

Yeah, the list goes on. The simplest explanation is basically, "because they aren't."

It's not "considered," it's my opinion, based on existing precedent (namely: that marriage licenses are already recognized across state lines according to the "full faith and credit" clause).

And you're an idiot for bringing up gun licenses in the context of gay marriage. The question "Why doesn't the full faith and credit clause apply to gun licenses?" stands well enough on its own. The only reason to present that the way you asked is as some sort of bull **** attempt to argue that, since gun licenses are an exception to the clause, thus so should be marriage licenses.

And why are they not?

Informative answer.

if I understand it correctly, it pertains to matters of record, and not necessarily matters of law. for instance, although marriages require a license, once performed, the marriage is a matter of record. with a license to carry a firearm, the license grants the holder the ability to carry the firearm indefinitely within the confines of the state which issued the license. I'm trying to read through it now for the first time, so take my attempted explanation with a very large grain of salt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_Faith_and_Credit_Clause