sound bar

dib

I just put one in recently after doing some price/performance research, and assuming size isn't an issue, in the end it comes down to two things: cost and your idea of what sounds good.

(I mention size because we moved our 60" plasma from an entertainment center to wall-mounted over the fireplace, and we didn't have a lot of room to mount the sound bar between the bottom of the display and the fireplace mantle, so size mattered to us.)

You can get them with what is considered surround sound, but their costs have a comma involved: Niles, Yamaha, Sony, etc. That was simply way more than I wanted to invest. But the one thing that was evident was a soundbar without a subwoofer wasn't good enough, so I ended up going with the Samsung HWF 550. It has various inputs you can toggle through, but digital in and bluetooth are the ones we use

We're really pleased with the quality of sound, even when watching movies, and I really dig the ability to use it as a bluetooth speaker, so when I'm cooking I can just fire up Pandora or Spotify on my phone and set the sound bar to music (you can choose voice, music, sports, movie, etc.)

The only two things that disappoint: the bluetooth range, which I can live with, and the occasional latency of sound to video. This is apparently an issue with all sound bars, and the Samsung has a sync button, but it's sporadic at best. What I found works best is hitting the rewind button for a second and somehow that syncs things up.

Hope this helps.