(OT) Another Dog Question

stevestojan

anyone know of anyways to control shedding? I know flax seed oil is supposed to make the coat shiny and soft, but does it control shedding?

Googled results are for products with mixed reviews.

Also, I am not going to shave my dog, so please refrain from that answer..

thanks..

Darin, I'm actually hoping you read this, you seem to be better with dogs than with people. :lol:

anyone know of anyways to control shedding? I know flax seed oil is supposed to make the coat shiny and soft, but does it control shedding?

Googled results are for products with mixed reviews.

Also, I am not going to shave my dog, so please refrain from that answer..

thanks..

Darin, I'm actually hoping you read this, you seem to be better with dogs than with people. :lol:

223879[/snapback]

Diet plays a factor. If the diet is not balanced properly, then the dog can shed more. I have hesitations using any of the products typically associated with shedding.

You probably will not like my suggestion, but regular brushing and proper diet are the best ways to deal with shedding, IMO.

Diet plays a factor. If the diet is not balanced properly, then the dog can shed more. I have hesitations using any of the products typically associated with shedding.

You probably will not like my suggestion, but regular brushing and proper diet are the best ways to deal with shedding, IMO.

223903[/snapback]

well, i feed her nutro max, as recommended by a trainer and a vet. I guess I will start to brush her ... see if that works.

Agreed.

Also, is this a dog living in a climate/environment that it was not bred for? If so, tough tacos sweetie.

Agreed.

Also, is this a dog living in a climate/environment that it was not bred for? If so, tough tacos sweetie.

223910[/snapback]

well, the dog is in florida now, and is gonna get quite the shock when she moves to Buffalo with me... can't wait till the first time i let her run out in the snow...

:lol:

223903[/snapback]

Yep. Hartz Mountain sells an inexpensive lotion that helps - after brushing, you squirt it on cotton gloves and stroke the pet. Also, regarding diet, a crumbled piece of cooked bacon now and again helps, as well as the feline tubed hairball goo - if the pet will eat it.

well, the dog is in florida now, and is gonna get quite the shock when she moves to Buffalo with me... can't wait till the first time i let her run out in the snow...

:lol:

223915[/snapback]

Did that with the cats last weekend...that was a hoot. "Oooh, we get to go outside!"...ran for the door, hit the snow..."What the !@#$? This sh-- is cold!"...came barrelling back in. :lol::lol::w00t:

And the only sure-fire way I know of stopping shedding is to shave them - damn, you already thought of that! I hate it when you're on the ball like that...

Diet, changes in environment, and stress are the biggest factors in shedding.

If your dog is shedding alot, she's probably not getting enough fat.

She's certainly not being brushed enough - which should be at least 3 or 4 times a week (daily is best). That'll strengthen her coat and reduce shedding. Ask your vet what kind of brush you should be using - it matters.

Bath her at least monthly with a high quality shampoo. Another thing to ask your vet about.

Make sure she doesn't have fleas or other pests - that'll cause her to scratch more and will in turn cause more shedding.

To alleviate stress, make sure she gets plenty of regular exercise.

Your comment is pretty much dead on. I much prefer the company of most dogs to the company of most people. :lol:

Diet, changes in environment, and stress are the biggest factors in shedding.

If your dog is shedding alot, she's probably not getting enough fat. 

She's certainly not being brushed enough - which should be at least 3 or 4 times a week (daily is best).  That'll strengthen her coat and reduce shedding.  Ask your vet what kind of brush you should be using - it matters.

Bath her at least monthly with a high quality shampoo.  Another thing to ask your vet about.

Make sure she doesn't have fleas or other pests - that'll cause her to scratch more and will in turn cause more shedding.

To alleviate stress, make sure she gets plenty of regular exercise.

Your comment is pretty much dead on.  I much prefer the company of most dogs to the company of most people.  ;)

223950[/snapback]

Well, the food I give her is supposed to be really good (it costs enough, that's for frigging sure). I give her at least 10 milkbones a week, so that's gotta be some fat. I don't brush her, but I guess I'll start. And she's on Advantix (it's new from the company that makes Advantage, except it works against Ticks and Mosquitos as well as fleas).

Anyway, I guess its time for me to just go read the vacuum thread, and learn to deal with it! :rolleyes:

Well, the food I give her is supposed to be really good (it costs enough, that's for frigging sure). I give her at least 10 milkbones a week, so that's gotta be some fat. I don't brush her, but I guess I'll start. And she's on Advantix (it's new from the company that makes Advantage, except it works against Ticks and Mosquitos as well as fleas).

Anyway, I guess its time for me to just go read the vacuum thread, and learn to deal with it! :rolleyes:

223988[/snapback]

The amount of Milkbones can be enough to throw the dogs system off. There are others on the market that are a little better. I get Nutro for my pooch. Less of the crap in them. If you want to add fat into the diet, try oils mixed into the food. Salmon oil is a start.

Brushing is a MUST!! I recommend this company, and here are a few products I use on my dog:

Shedding Blade

Pin and Bristle Brush

no, i don't want to suck the life out of my apartment, just some dog hair.

224016[/snapback]

Well, then...what sucks less than BF's blog? Maybe play a tape of Bledsoe's performance in New England this past season? Or is there some sort of "Travis Henry Teaches the Art of Blitz Pick-up" DVD available?

223988[/snapback]

I'd dump the milkbones and go with a higher quality treat like Innova or Canidae snap biscuits. That's probably contributing to your problem. Remember: if it's available at your local grocery story pet aisle, you don't want to feed it to your dog.

no, i don't want to suck the life out of my apartment, just some dog hair.

224016[/snapback]

And by the way...brushing makes a noticeable difference with my cats. Not exactly comparable, since cats are more self-grooming and therefore ingest a decent amount of fur. But the simple act of removing the dead hair from an animal on a daily basis rather than having it fall off when it wants does help.

223988[/snapback]

Is dog shedding more since you started using Advantix? Reason I ask is this irritated the skin of one of our dogs so much we had to back to just plain tick stuff.

One other thing I do instead of treating the dog is to treat the yard for ticks/fleas. Treating the area they are in seems to work as long as you have a nice backyard area to treat. I have beagles and I rarely use tick/flea repellent on them along with monthly baths using a little Avaon skin so soft in the final rinse.

As others have said if the dog is a longer hair the shedding is more noticeable than say a short haired dog like a beagle, and a good thing for them even if they dont shed is proper brushing and grooming plus dont forget the teeth, Milkbones and the like dont help that much against plaque a weekly brushing is the best thing to do. BTW DO NOT USE HUMAN toothpaste you need something specific for dogs and should get an annual cleaning ( most vets offer discounts for cleaning during feb since it is national dental month)