Thoughts on used mattresses?

boyst

I am trying to get my parents attic fixed up for nieces and nephews visiting. I found a good bunk bed - full over full for $200 on Craigslist.

Now I need mattresses. I found a company that sells a lot of used mattresses for $60/per @ full size. They sanitized, deodorize, and clean the mattresses to look like new. These mattresses would be used maybe a total of 3 weeks a year max for the next 10 years and would be upstairs in a place my parents built for them to play.

Mattresses are marked up like crazy and I don't want to spend a ton on two of them when they'll be used to little.

Anyone have experience here? I looked at a few stores where some are as low as $100-120 per but not sure if those would be any better or worse then a used one.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am trying to get my parents attic fixed up for nieces and nephews visiting. I found a good bunk bed - full over full for $200 on Craigslist.

Now I need mattresses. I found a company that sells a lot of used mattresses for $60/per @ full size. They sanitized, deodorize, and clean the mattresses to look like new. These mattresses would be used maybe a total of 3 weeks a year max for the next 10 years and would be upstairs in a place my parents built for them to play.

Mattresses are marked up like crazy and I don't want to spend a ton on two of them when they'll be used to little.

Anyone have experience here? I looked at a few stores where some are as low as $100-120 per but not sure if those would be any better or worse then a used one.

They may look nice on the outside but inside there is human piss and dust mites and maybe some dog or cat piss depending on where they got it. That's gross even on a farm in North Carolina. Buy one of those zip bags that go around it.

They may look nice on the outside but inside there is human piss and dust mites and maybe some dog or cat piss depending on where they got it. That's gross even on a farm in North Carolina. Buy one of those zip bags that go around it.

Do you sleep inside mattresses, or on top of them?

Sure, go for used. Just make sure you stay away from the Anchorage Jim model, it can never be gotten clean enough. If you can get a name brand used it'll be a much better constructed mattress than the cheapo new.

To former's point, sealing the mattress wouldn't be a bad thought.

I used to have those bags as a kid because during the 80's and 90's kids were allergic to everything - and damn if I wasn't the poster child for a mother who believed everything. Are those bags any better then they used to be?

I'm thinking I am right: This is what ya'll are talking about.

edit: I just talked to the bunk bed guy. Trading 35 lbs. of ground beef and 25 lbs. of roasts for the bunk bed. That's going to help!

Edited by jboyst62

I bet this is where this company gets its mattresses from-- hotels having to junk mattresses due to bed bugs.

I've looked in to it, there are many, many ways to rid a mattress of bed bugs.

I would perform those rituals prior to bringing anything in my house. Hell, I do it for any new clothes I bring in the house - first thing I do is put them in the dryer for 20 minutes.

I vote against it. I'm with 4merper4mer in this one. I don't enjoy sleeping in someone else's urine or fecal matter that has been dried up and crusty on the bed.

Keep a look out for mattress stores and sales. Usually happens all the time.

You'd be better off going to a mattress store and asking to buy the floor models if yiur looking for a cheap fix. Much better than piss, s%#t, puke, bed bugs, dust mites and who knows what else is out there.

Or you can buy the ised ones. Chances are, they are cleaned an alright. But that's just me. I wouldn't.

Sure, go for used. Just make sure you stay away from the Anchorage Jim model, it can never be gotten clean enough. If you can get a name brand used it'll be a much better constructed mattress than the cheapo new.

To former's point, sealing the mattress wouldn't be a bad thought.

You can go back to using Gugny any time you know.

Just don't tell your nieces and nephews that you are saving a buck on used mattresses... Want them to think you are Uncle Scrooge McDuck?

And anyway... Bedbugs are growing problem. Is there a way tp tell if you are not spreading them? You said that you have ways to rid them, how so? What methods? Young children will be using them. Would you consult your sibling first?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I used to have those bags as a kid because during the 80's and 90's kids were allergic to everything - and damn if I wasn't the poster child for a mother who believed everything. Are those bags any better then they used to be?

I'm thinking I am right: This is what ya'll are talking about.

edit: I just talked to the bunk bed guy. Trading 35 lbs. of ground beef and 25 lbs. of roasts for the bunk bed. That's going to help!

There are expensive allergy bags out there but not even dust mites can get through them. The Walmart bags won't stop dust mites but they are a piss shield at least.