JW"s Bills-Vikings All-22 Review

thebandit27

Thanks for the link.

So, on the second play of the game for the Bills offense, we DON'T spread the field, but we have five receivers in the pattern and only one TE? Hmm. I was told we had Smith, Gragg, and Summers in.

This should have been a precursor as Richardson was totally undressed on this play.

And on the first TD to Watkins, it's all about that 3 TE set convincing Minny we were running, which found Sammy in man coverage. Hackett isn't as clueless as we think.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Thanks for the link.

So, on the second play of the game for the Bills offense, we DON'T spread the field, but we have five receivers in the pattern and only one TE? Hmm. I was told we had Smith, Gragg, and Summers in.

This should have been a precursor as Richardson was totally undressed on this play.

And on the first TD to Watkins, it's all about that 3 TE set convincing Minny we were running, which found Sammy in man coverage. Hackett isn't as clueless as we think.

GO BILLS!!!

I just made that second point in the Hackett thread. Even Lee Smith was wide open.

Thanks for the link.

GO BILLS!!!

That's just rewarding bad behavior!

As I said in another thread, Orton said they practiced that play all week and as soon as he saw Watkins covered by one guy he knew he would go to him and Watkins beat his guy off the line. That occurrence of only one guy on Watkins would very likely occur more often with 3-4 WR out there, and was the exact same thing that happened out of the spread on the 18 or so yard in pattern on the final drive, as well as the game winning TD toss.

As I said in another thread, Orton said they practiced that play all week and as soon as he saw Watkins covered by one guy he knew he would go to him and Watkins beat his guy off the line. That occurrence of only one guy on Watkins would very likely occur more often with 3-4 WR out there, and was the exact same thing that happened out of the spread on the 18 or so yard in pattern on the final drive, as well as the game winning TD toss.

Why do you think they had one guy on Sammy? Perhaps because they were fooled by the 3 TE set?

Why do you think they had one guy on Sammy? Perhaps because they were fooled by the 3 TE set?

Because we were in a three TE set and they thought we were going to run. I said it is rewarding bad behavior. That is not the only way to get one guy on Sammy, there were numerous successful plays during the game they took advantage of that. And more so in the spread. It's not worth 10 plays of getting nothing to get one play with one guy on Sammy when you can get it a lot of different ways.

That said, there may not be many plays the rest of the season. however, with only one guy on Sammy. The Pats got away with it because, again, Hackett was an idiot (although some of that could have been Orton). He wouldn't try it at all in the first half. He tried it in the second and completed two out of three.

Because we were in a three TE set and they thought we were going to run. I said it is rewarding bad behavior. That is not the only way to get one guy on Sammy, there were numerous successful plays during the game they took advantage of that. And more so in the spread. It's not worth 10 plays of getting nothing to get one play with one guy on Sammy when you can get it a lot of different ways.

That said, there may not be many plays the rest of the season. however, with only one guy on Sammy. The Pats got away with it because, again, Hackett was an idiot (although some of that could have been Orton). He wouldn't try it at all in the first half. He tried it in the second and completed two out of three.

I

I don't think you and I have been this divergent since you tried so tirelessly to convince me that cutting Lee Evans would have a seriously negative impact on our team.

No, that's awarding good play design.

We've also forgotten the great plays we were getting the first couple weeks off of run action, especially when we play-acted off that run action. Heck, our first two scores to open the season were off run action. That's good design by Hackett, no matter how reluctant you are to credit him for that.

I'll say and predict this, too: if Hackett looks at the film and honestly sees we are getting more production out of those spread sets, then we'll see more of it. There's no doubt our two-minute offense is getting more out of it, but we'll have to see if Hackett wants to run his offense like that all the time. Defenses give you certain things in their two-minute defenses that you don't get otherwise.

But I think he's gonna see his OLmen getting abused too often and I don't think he wants to risk Orton's health as a result.

GO BILLS!!!

No, that's awarding good play design.

We've also forgotten the great plays we were getting the first couple weeks off of run action, especially when we play-acted off that run action. Heck, our first two scores to open the season were off run action. That's good design by Hackett, no matter how reluctant you are to credit him for that.

I'll say and predict this, too: if Hackett looks at the film and honestly sees we are getting more production out of those spread sets, then we'll see more of it. There's no doubt our two-minute offense is getting more out of it, but we'll have to see if Hackett wants to run his offense like that all the time. Defenses give you certain things in their two-minute defenses that you don't get otherwise.

But I think he's gonna see his OLmen getting abused too often and I don't think he wants to risk Orton's health as a result.

GO BILLS!!!

I praised Hackett all over the board here for the first two weeks and defended him profusely here for the second two weeks that were losses. I even defended the Lions game. You have seemed to bring that up and I responded and you bring it up again.

I praised Hackett all over the board here for the first two weeks and defended him profusely here for the second two weeks that were losses. I even defended the Lions game. You have seemed to bring that up and I responded and you bring it up again.

If that's the case, I honestly don't remember your response. My apologies.

Be that as it may, week 3 vs. SD was the game changer as it provided a blue print for defenses to whip our OLine, get our QBs off their rhythm, and make it much more difficult for Hackett to find his preferred intermediate passing game. We've seen that in each game since. As I said previously, if Hackett looks at the film and honestly sees multi-WR spread sets are working more often than not, we can look for him to do more of it. But I don't see him discarding the bunched sets with multiple receivers OR three TEs because he's been successful with those as well. I just don't think he trusts his OL enough to do so more often.

If there's one thing I will ding Hackett on, it's the ridiculous idea to let Sammy serve as a decoy. That is shades of Rauch and OJ on the stupid meter.

GO BILLS!!!

I was at the game and Sammy was singled with only a single safety deep multiple times in the game. Admittedly a lot of that was when they blitzed six and had 8 in the box and we gave up a sack. I was shocked at how little attention Minnesota was paying to Sammy. Looks like the corner was on his own with little deep help on a much higher percentage of plays then I would figure in a an NFL defence.

@Andy_Benoit

#Vikings #Bills Filmm: Barr looked good. Good green dog blitzer, moves with power and swiftness.

#Bills Film: Richardson at LG showed drive ability in run game.

#Vikings Film: on double A gap with Barr and Greenway, Barr is more a rusher and Greenway more a cover guy. Something offenses must consider

Film: #Bills often a controlled passing attack with focus on getting ball out of Orton’s hands quickly. Rarely see Orton on the move.

#Bills #Vikings Film: Early on Rhodes got better of Watkins on routes along the boundary.

#Bills Film: Watkins 26 yd TD: X-iso to the field from “13” personnel, he beat Munnerlyn with inside move going vertical.

#Bills Film: Watkins 8 yds ex. of Orton veteran QBing. Third level blitzer in clean, Orton threw ball well before Watkins out of his break.

#Vikings Film: Blanton back to back good cover plays. First one sniffed a qtrs beater route; second INT on Orton overthrow.

#Vikings Film: Brinkley a better chase LB than fill LB. He’s a “good at best” chase LB.

#Vikings #Bills Film: Griffen sack-fumble on Orton. Held ball too on quick timing. Cordy Glenn did his job enough.

#Bills Film: Dixon a better mover than his frame would suggest.

#Bills #Vikings Film: Griffen’s third sack was a T-E stunt, LG Richardson zero awareness of it, follow Floyd who was setting up the stunt.

#Bills Film: Cordy Glenn not to blame for any of Griffen’s 3 sacks, even though Griffen lined up across from him on all three.

#Bills #Vikings Film: Floyd sack another T-E stunt. This time Glenn more at fault, a little late to recognize. Floyd setup, crashed through.

#Vikings #Bills Film: Watkins 19 yd on 2nd-10 Barr will learn to get just a little more depth as Cover 2 defender in that scenario next time

#Vikings Film: Joseph sack great job by Barr contacting LG Richardson just enough to give DT advantage.

#Bills Film: Richardson needs to polish up in pass pro.

#Bills Film: too many cases of Orton moving into sacks, not being alert of situation or surroundings. Another ex: Tom Johnson on 3rd-17.

#Vikings #Bills Film: Chandler 4th-20 conversion came against Greenway in Cover 2. Greenway not set at the snap and was a step behind.

Film: #Vikings were NOT static on final drive. Good scheme variety, including double A gap stuff.

#Bills Film: Hogan big time catch vs. good Rhodes coverage at 1-yd line elevating and adjusting to back shoulder from tight bunch out-and-up

#Bills #Vikings Film: Felton 21 yds Hughes ran upfield out of pic (not expecting FB touch) and Aaron Williams failed to make play in space.

#Bills Film: Dareus first sack was against PA shot play, well-covered across board, Dareus excellent closing speed.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Thanks for the link.

GO BILLS!!!

Hackett has called that play quite a few times...EJ did not have the connection with Watkins or the DB made some great plays earlier in the season stripping the ball out of Sammy's hands. This time, the throw was on the money

@Andy_Benoit

Film: #Bills gameplanned man coverage.

Film: Two leading elements of #Vikings gameplan: moving pockets and quick passes to the perimeter. Both simplify tactics for Bridgewater.

#Vikings Film: Bridgewater a lot of checks at LOS presnap. Many of them were run plays.

#Bills Film: Gilmore was stifling in man coverage, outside and over the slot. Handled Patterson well.

#Bills #Vikings Film: McKelvin INT off Spikes tip, improvisation late in down by Bridgewater, too tight+at really bad angles. Rookie mistake

#Vikings #Bills Film: McKelvin INT very next play, great jump on Thielen’s corner route off PA from “22” group....

cont....Bridgewater a little late, needs to speed up his PA movement there.

#Vikings #Bills Film: Jennings 38 yds from 2 slot to the field, inside of Roby due to man coverage help, won at point of ball arrival.

#Vikings #Bills Film: Jennings 15 yds next play vs. man outside, zone inside, shallow cross, LB’s lost track a bit, he made Bradham miss.

#Bills Film: Kyle Williams potent after shedding blocks.

#Vikings Film: when Vikings go staggered trips, it’s almost guaranteed run.

#Vikings Film: Patterson has not been featured enough this year. Not enough gadget plays or plays designed for him.

#Vikings Film: Wright 28 yds unbelievable footwork along sideline, beat Gilmore with late “stop” movement.

#Bills Film: Dareus sack on long stunt from inside to outside. Not many DT’s athletic enough to do that. Vikings caught off guard.

Film: #Vikings have their future RB in McKinnon. Light on feet, short area lateral agility.

#Bills Film: Mario Williams has not stood out one iota this year. You forget he’s out there.