I expect the offense to improve significantly...

eball

...now that Hackett has had a few weeks to see what Orton can do. Let's face it -- despite legitimate criticism about how he has or hasn't utilized his weapons, the truth is that Orton is the first "professional" QB Nate has had to work with.

The Bills' passing offense is finally starting to look NFL-quality. They are using the TE and getting the ball to their superstar WR. The running game has struggled but as teams begin to actually fear the passing game that should improve.

I'm cautiously optimistic moving forward if -- and its a big if -- the OL doesn't get Orton killed first.

I'm not a huge Hackett fan to date but also don't believe he's the moron others make him out to be. Let's see what he does now that he has a QB he can "trust" behind center.

...now that Hackett has had a few weeks to see what Orton can do. Let's face it -- despite legitimate criticism about how he has or hasn't utilized his weapons, the truth is that Orton is the first "professional" QB Nate has had to work with.

The Bills' passing offense is finally starting to look NFL-quality. They are using the TE and getting the ball to their superstar WR. The running game has struggled but as teams begin to actually fear the passing game that should improve.

I'm cautiously optimistic moving forward if -- and its a big if -- the OL doesn't get Orton killed first.

I'm not a huge Hackett fan to date but also don't believe he's the moron others make him out to be. Let's see what he does now that he has a QB he can "trust" behind center.

People are quick to pile on Hackett, but look at this last weeks game, first drive of the game had the Bills in the redzone with the possibility to get at least 3 points, if not 7. They had another drive later end in the redzone by a fumble. I think there was a stat after the first 3 games that showed the Bills were in the top 5 in trips to the redzone, but just weren't converting, and I think a lot of that was EJ.

And, if you look at the All 22, there usually is 1 or 2 receivers running open on the passing play. The problems have largely been the OL, which I'm not sure fall on him.

EDIT: And just to prove the point more, the Bills are ranked 11th in average redzone trips per game. Teams behind the Bills include New England, Denver and Dallas.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Jets secondary is in shambles

Usually you can pick off Cutler even accidentally

Maybe im just being super conservative but i dont see us lighting up the JEts defense. If we had a better Oline id be more confident. But our oline is our weakest point and dline is their strongest point.

True. However, every OL the Jets have lost to this year is ranked in the bottom half of the league. SD's is ranked lower than ours on Football Outsiders and they allowed 31 pts.

BTW NYJ's OL isn't good. And our DL is.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Edited by YoloinOhio

I'll add in that I think our running game will be better with the Bryce Brown/Boobie Dixon combo than it was with CJ/Fred. The guard play is still atrocious, but I think we'll come to appreciate downhill running.

I am not sure how much we will try to run against this team. Their run D is vastly superior to their pass D but even NE, who only decided to run 15 times, avg. 4.2 yds/carry.

general comments to various posts .

sometimes the O Line looks horrid because of the abilities of the man behind center.

and if thinks keep going as they have the last 3 weeks I expect the Jets to pick up one or more INT's and get a fumble or 2.

You can't always believe what the stats tell you. The Bills #1 rushing D performed poorly compared to the previous 6 weeks nearly double the YPC - 5.4 from 3.0 and total yards allowed @ 158 from 80.4.

general comments to various posts .

sometimes the O Line looks horrid because of the abilities of the man behind center.

and if thinks keep going as they have the last 3 weeks I expect the Jets to pick up one or more INT's and get a fumble or 2.

You can't always believe what the stats tell you. The Bills #1 rushing D performed poorly compared to the previous 6 weeks nearly double the YPC - 5.4 from 3.0 and total yards allowed @ 158 from 80.4.

Brian Costello@BrianCoz 39s39 seconds ago

The last 6 QBs the Jets have played combined numbers: 134-for-212 (63.2 pct), 1,650 yards, 16 TDs, 1 INT #nyj

We have trouble putting up points because of the constant turnovers, penalties, and terrible O-line play. I'm not sure I see the O-line improving with the same cast of guys. Urbik needs to play though.

Orton does hold the ball a little to long and has no ability to evade the rush.

As far as I'm concerned you can throw those #s out the window. The Bills have the worst guard tandem in the NFL and the Jets may have the best interior line. Orton is going to have a lot of trouble getting comfortable and I really don't see him lighting up that defense. We were 1 second away from losing to the Vikings - folks need to temper their expectations a LOT. I expect the Bills to get shutout on Sunday.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

As far as I'm concerned you can throw those #s out the window. The Bills have the worst guard tandem in the NFL and the Jets may have the best interior line. Orton is going to have a lot of trouble getting comfortable and I really don't see him lighting up that defense. We were 1 second away from losing to the Vikings - folks need to temper their expectations a LOT. I expect the Bills to get shutout on Sunday.

Seems to me you're saying fans should only temper any optimistic expectations, because your pessimistic ones are waaaaaay out there given we're playing a 1-6 team.

Seems to me you're saying fans should only temper any optimistic expectations, because your pessimistic ones are waaaaaay out there given we're playing a 1-6 team.

This. I ain't putting any money on Buffalo this week, but saying the Bills get shut out by a team that's given up 24+ each of their last six games? Please.

Precisely. Also, I challenge anyone making sweeping statements like this to detail for us all just how specifically their secondary will shut out our receiving corps.

Saying "the Bills should get shut out against the Jets" is the equivalent of unsubstantiated claims like "I see absolutely no reason whatsoever why Cyril Richardson won't be named this year's Super Bowl MVP."

Should be a lot of quick slants/outs to Watkins/Woods this week. Can start with the short passes and hopefully set up some out and ups for big gainers. And, hello... Earth to Nate... is it time to run a bubble screen to Sammy yet? You know, the thing that made him a star at Clemson?

Should be a lot of quick slants/outs to Watkins/Woods this week. Can start with the short passes and hopefully set up some out and ups for big gainers. And, hello... Earth to Nate... is it time to run a bubble screen to Sammy yet? You know, the thing that made him a star at Clemson?

yes. Their DBs look like crap.

]Detroit has at least as good, if not better, interor line and Orton managed to throw for 300.

This. I ain't putting any money on Buffalo this week, but saying the Bills get shut out by a team that's given up 24+ each of their last six games? Please.

But don't you know? They have the worst pair of starting offensive guards in the history of all versions of football, pee wee through the NFL!

Question -- whose D-line is better, the Lions or the Jets? Or are they of similar quality?