Interesting note about the final play

Rubes

Looks like a well designed play, in that Orton had at least three open receivers to choose from.

Here's Hogan on the opposite side, as Orton was throwing. Obviously the play was going to Sammy all the way, but if he was thinking Hogan, he was very open at the goal line (that defender is not moving toward Hogan as it appears -- Hogan actually made a really nice fake outside before slanting in, causing the defender to twist around):

gallery_788_97_56663.jpg

Likewise, Chandler was open as well. Not as easy to see because of camera motion, but Chandler is in the upper left corner of the next picture. He's running toward the top for the back corner of the end zone (sort of a cross with Hogan), and is well ahead of the defender behind him:

gallery_788_97_18716.jpg

Nice to see a well-designed play for the final, game-ending challenge. I'm not a big Hackett fan, but he sure got this one right.

Edited by Rubes

I haven't looked but another poster said Woods was wide open, too.

That said (and again, I haven't been able to watch the play a few times in slo mo on replay) when a QB drops back and looks left to Watkins immediately, the defenders on the other team have a tendency to just watch before they make their breaks on their men. So guys that look wide open on replays like that will often be covered if the QB looked to them or the middle of the field or elsewhere.

... Nice to see a well-designed play for the final, game-ending challenge. I'm not a big Hackett fan, but he sure got this one right.

Hackett's play designs USUALLY have more than one receiver running open. This has been readily apparent on every All-22 I've seen this year. I am not surprised in the least that we had guys open on that play. But I don't think Orton was gonna look anywhere but at Sammy the entire time.

GO BILLS!!!

I think sometimes the all-22 can be deceiving. I love it though. You have to be careful and look at the defenders before the QB decides where to go with the ball. Once Orton plants and starts the throwing motion defenders and LB's will shift. Making other WR's look open, when in fact the pre throw read was not, or very tight/dangerous. I'll have to look myself later. On my phone now. I have noticed a lot of that from Jeremy White in particular.

Not claiming your wrong. I'd just like to see the screen shot from about half a second before that throw. What I am curious about is the linebacker in the endzone. If his original read is what looks like Hogan, then that throw is rough with a closing big body just a few steps away.

That said from what I noticed in my watching, if the OL can hold up just a half second longer, Sammy almost always beats his guy out of the break. He has seemed to be good off the line in his route running, but his breaks in and out almost always leave him open, as long as there is time to get to that part of his routes.

I posted this part elsewhere, but of you want to beat the bills, I'd play soft on Watkins, press on everybody else. Line as many as you can in the box. The line won't hold for receivers to beat press, Hackett never gets any quick slants called, so play calling seems to never account for the coverage, and the DB needs space to read Watkins route because they will most certainly lose that battle on almost all plays.

Just my two cents

Only problem was that if Sammy wasn't open Orton would've been sacked before he could go to another option because Glenn got destroyed in pass protection. Luckily, Sammy WAS open.

And that my friend is the key to the play. among others.

Orton is just dying to get the ball out asap.

Watkins played it as well as we could have wished for

thats a W

yeah but your hands are terrible :w00t:

You noticed too ? Always open does not mean always catches the ball. You have to put the beer and Nachos down to catch the ball , House !

I haven't looked but another poster said Woods was wide open, too.

That said (and again, I haven't been able to watch the play a few times in slo mo on replay) when a QB drops back and looks left to Watkins immediately, the defenders on the other team have a tendency to just watch before they make their breaks on their men. So guys that look wide open on replays like that will often be covered if the QB looked to them or the middle of the field or elsewhere.

Was that Woods moving left to right in the opposite corner? If so, that's another place that Orton could have dropped it in.