Blitz pick up and chip blocking - forgotten RB responsibility

BuffaloBill

i still think that "poor pass blocker" is a pretty big jump. what if they just dont think he runs as well, and is a way better blocker?

I never said poor pass blocker. I did imply that he might be and this could be the reason why he rides the bench. No doubt Fredex is very good at it. Boobie makes roster as back and ST's. So was blitz pickup the difference between Brown and Spiller? Spiller doesn't make roster simply because of his tepid production in the run game. Catching passes out of backfield may be the other key differentiator.

We are blocking in zone packages. We need the bandit to chime in here. He has got more time at the tapes this season then I have.

But from what I've seen early and from what I remember it is a zone scheming unit that has the zones so close and garbled our men, well, our OL at just not good. They're all so different in skillset that they don't mesh well. I hold out hope they can gel.

Most of what I've seen in the running game is inside zone. The problem areas have been going the guards (specifically Pears) enough help.

If Wood or Henderson (Wood when running right; Hendy when left) are forced to get a quick hit on Pears' gap, they often get hung up there (because Pears cannot get low enough) and don't make their climb to the second level.

Pass-blocking wise, the OTs can handle either scheme; the guards cannot handle any scheme. Just too out of place at the moment.

Most of what I've seen in the running game is inside zone. The problem areas have been going the guards (specifically Pears) enough help.

If Wood or Henderson (Wood when running right; Hendy when left) are forced to get a quick hit on Pears' gap, they often get hung up there (because Pears cannot get low enough) and don't make their climb to the second level.

Pass-blocking wise, the OTs can handle either scheme; the guards cannot handle any scheme. Just too out of place at the moment.

Thanks!

I hadn't been following it much over the last two weeks - but I've noticed that Pears is only about good at driving his guy backwards when he is lined up right across from someone, Henderson is good at getting in the way of a hole and keeping his guy out of it, Wood is just beat up and knocked around as he can't even get to where he needs to be while the OT's are good at keeping the pocket on the outside and not doing much for getting their hips to right location to drive on the run block.

i'm thinking you're right about us employing some inside zone schemes, but we certainly have no commitment to it - not with the size and lack of agility of the linemen on our roster. our huge guards aren't athletic enough to cut the backside or help wash the playside before getting upfield... add to that, CJ's inability to read the cutback - and you've got all the wrong guys to run zone blocking schemes.

i guess Gailey had CJ coached up a few years back - enough to run both the inside and outside zone - but when push came to shove, i think Chan had more confidence in his old yellow-jacket Choice to run it consistently. jeez, i can't remember the last time i saw our line take the opponents to the hash or sideline. we may have seen a hybrid of an inside/outside zone where EJ could option the end.. that would have allowed our playside guard to release upfield if uncovered, but that probably came out with EJ.

i got a lot of respect for your knowledge of the game, Bandit - so maybe your seeing something i'm not. wouldn't be the first time, and undoubtedly won't be the last. :thumbsup:

I thought I saw Pears getting greats drives in the run blocking game on Sunday - in fact I can count on more than one hand the amount of times I saw him pancake his guy (either a DT or a lb) - I've not been a fan of his play, but I thought he did at least an ok job on Sunday in the run game

i'm thinking you're right about us employing some inside zone schemes, but we certainly have no commitment to it - not with the size and lack of agility of the linemen on our roster. our huge guards aren't athletic enough to cut the backside or help wash the playside before getting upfield... add to that, CJ's inability to read the cutback - and you've got all the wrong guys to run zone blocking schemes.

i guess Gailey had CJ coached up a few years back - enough to run both the inside and outside zone - but when push came to shove, i think Chan had more confidence in his old yellow-jacket Choice to run it consistently. jeez, i can't remember the last time i saw our line take the opponents to the hash or sideline. we may have seen a hybrid of an inside/outside zone where EJ could option the end.. that would have allowed our playside guard to release upfield if uncovered, but that probably came out with EJ.

i got a lot of respect for your knowledge of the game, Bandit - so maybe your seeing something i'm not. wouldn't be the first time, and undoubtedly won't be the last. :thumbsup:

Yes you're definitely right--we don't run inside zone exclusively. They do mix in outside zone with some regularity, and you're dead on target about the relative size and lack of athleticism killing the guards right now.

As I've said a few times, I think Richardson will be okay once he drops a few lbs; doubt he'll ever be a true do-it-all guard because he probably isn't a natural puller. I think a pulling guard to play on the right side should be a priority in FA this off-season...the guy I like in that spot is Clint Boling from Cincinnati should you ever get a chance to watch him.

Yes you're definitely right--we don't run inside zone exclusively. They do mix in outside zone with some regularity, and you're dead on target about the relative size and lack of athleticism killing the guards right now.

As I've said a few times, I think Richardson will be okay once he drops a few lbs; doubt he'll ever be a true do-it-all guard because he probably isn't a natural puller. I think a pulling guard to play on the right side should be a priority in FA this off-season...the guy I like in that spot is Clint Boling from Cincinnati should you ever get a chance to watch him.

This is the primary reason why the Bills' screen game is so ineffective.