Blitz pick up and chip blocking - forgotten RB responsibility

BuffaloBill

With all of the back and forth about Spiller and Brown there appears to be a loss of understanding that besides running the ball participation in pass blocking is a crucial RB skill. Fred Jackson excels at it, Spiller is at best adequate, Dixon is a question mark and we have no clue how Brown is.

I think we are left to guess that Brown is not effective. If so, he may see far less playing time than many would assume. I also think that Spiller's less than consistent play in this area had him on the field less than what many fans wanted. This aspect of Freddy's game may be what is most missed assuming he is out for a period of time because of injury.

With all of the back and forth about Spiller and Brown there appears to be a loss of understanding that besides running the ball participation in pass blocking is a crucial RB skill. Fred Jackson excels at it, Spiller is at best adequate, Dixon is a question mark and we have no clue how Brown is.

I think we are left to guess that Brown is not effective. If so, he may see far less playing time than many would assume. I also think that Spiller's less than consistent play in this area had him on the field less than what many fans wanted. This aspect of Freddy's game may be what is most missed assuming he is out for a period of time because of injury.

On WGR this morning, Fred commented on Brown's ability to pass protect. He said Brown is well rounded RB who can do the job in all aspects. At 220 lbs, hopefully he'll be stout enough to stand up to LBs and DBs whenever they rush.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Frank Summers gets no mention here? The dude is a powder keg. He blows people up at the point of attack and should not be forgotten with the RB's going down.

I think he and Dixon will make a good duo in the backfield and look forward to two back sets featuring these two men.

Frank Summers gets no mention here? The dude is a powder keg. He blows people up at the point of attack and should not be forgotten with the RB's going down.

I think he and Dixon will make a good duo in the backfield and look forward to two back sets featuring these two men.

The same Frank that has been blown back or put on his backside by both DB's and LB's this season?

:unsure:

The same Frank that has been blown back or put on his backside by both DB's and LB's this season?

:unsure:

Yes.

I think it is more an inability to execute more so then lack of ability. I did not see yesterdays games but have seen him get blown up several times before. What I saw in seeing this was simply explained. He is a lead blocker, a point of attack blocker and a forward attacker. He is not a pass blocker, pocket protector or blitz pick up guy.

He must be aimed, cocked and loaded to make the block. In other words - we need to assign him to double teams at the OL and let an OL move in the pocket to protect anyone else. It's a simple method of changing the blocking assignments allowing him to assist.

Double team him on the DT with an OG, let the OC cover the middle and the OT's keep the outside.

Yes.

I think it is more an inability to execute more so then lack of ability. I did not see yesterdays games but have seen him get blown up several times before. What I saw in seeing this was simply explained. He is a lead blocker, a point of attack blocker and a forward attacker. He is not a pass blocker, pocket protector or blitz pick up guy.

He must be aimed, cocked and loaded to make the block. In other words - we need to assign him to double teams at the OL and let an OL move in the pocket to protect anyone else. It's a simple method of changing the blocking assignments allowing him to assist.

Double team him on the DT with an OG, let the OC cover the middle and the OT's keep the outside.

I cannot remember which game it was this season, maybe the Texans game, but he was the lead blocker on two runs in a second quarter drive and got outright owned by a safety on both plays which resulted in both runs going for losses.

I do concur that more often than not the problems we've seen are due to assignments across the whole line or designated blockers. Do you think a switch to zonal blocking would be more beneficial?

On a related to above, I was surprised at the lack of max' protection run yesterday when Zimmer/Edwards were dialing up the blitzes big time.

Testament to Orton's toughness after the licks he was taking after virtually every time he let the ball go.

I cannot remember which game it was this season, maybe the Texans game, but he was the lead blocker on two runs in a second quarter drive and got outright owned by a safety on both plays which resulted in both runs going for losses.

I do concur that more often than not the problems we've seen are due to assignments across the whole line or designated blockers. Do you think a switch to zonal blocking would be more beneficial?

On a related to above, I was surprised at the lack of max' protection run yesterday when Zimmer/Edwards were dialing up the blitzes big time.

Testament to Orton's toughness after the licks he was taking after virtually every time he let the ball go.

We are blocking in zone packages. We need the bandit to chime in here. He has got more time at the tapes this season then I have.

But from what I've seen early and from what I remember it is a zone scheming unit that has the zones so close and garbled our men, well, our OL at just not good. They're all so different in skillset that they don't mesh well. I hold out hope they can gel.

We are blocking in zone packages. We need the bandit to chime in here. He has got more time at the tapes this season then I have.

But from what I've seen early and from what I remember it is a zone scheming unit that has the zones so close and garbled our men, well, our OL at just not good. They're all so different in skillset that they don't mesh well. I hold out hope they can gel.

Wow. Given the amount of one on ones I've been seeing Henderson and Richardson have, I was under the premise that we were man to man. More likely than not I am wrong though.

Thanks for that.

Wow. Given the amount of one on ones I've been seeing Henderson and Richardson have, I was under the premise that we were man to man. More likely than not I am wrong though.

Thanks for that.

I sent a PM to Bandit. He'll chime in on this I hope.

Check out these links and threads

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/171228-the-finer-points-of-ol-play/

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/171823-what-do-the-bills-do-for-a-fix-at-guard-now/

Yes.

Hank Bullough, is that you?

Is there a reason we are left to assume he's bad at it?

I was wondering the same thing....i think we are just "left to wonder", period....not assuming hes good or bad at it because we just dont know

its not like he was bad at pass pro so we have him inactive every week...the reason hes been inactive is because we were treating him this season as insurance and as a future starting back....from all reports, the dude can flat out play and "do it all"

im looking forward to seeing the Brown Boobie

Not suited up for games might be an indication. Especially since Spiller hasn't exactly been stellar this year.

it is a known fact why he has not been suiting up - we need (according to marrone) the roster spot for our special teams...Brown does not play special teams...we have three quality RBs (your feelings for Spiller aside, this staff believed in him)...Brown was insurance for this exact event/one of the future starting RBs of this team

him not being active has had NOTHING to do with his skills as a football player....this is all documented/stated by the players/staff/FO

Bills' Fred Jackson: Bryce Brown an 'every-down back'

The Buffalo Bills lost their top two running backs Sunday when Fred Jackson (groin) and C.J. Spiller (broken collarbone) left a thrilling 17-16 win over the Minnesota Vikings. Jackson is out multiple weeks, while Spiller's season will end with surgery Monday.

The running back has been inactive for all seven games this season after being acquired from the Philadelphia Eagles for a fourth-round pick this offseason.

Jackson, during his weekly radio spot on WGR-AM in Buffalo, confirmed that his injury will not require surgery and the timeline for recovery typically lasts four weeks. Jackson added that the team has the utmost confidence in Bryce Brown to carry the load.

"He's an every-down back," Jackson said, per the Bills' official Twitter account. "He can do it all. We won't miss a beat."

it is a known fact why he has not been suiting up - we need (according to marrone) the roster spot for our special teams...Brown does not play special teams...we have three quality RBs (your feelings for Spiller aside, this staff believed in him)...Brown was insurance for this exact event/one of the future starting RBs of this team

him not being active has had NOTHING to do with his skills as a football player....this is all documented/stated by the players/staff/FO

Not being suited up has everything to do with his skills. If he was better than any of the three backs on the roster he would be playing not sitting there as insurance on the sideline.

Not being suited up has everything to do with his skills. If he was better than any of the three backs on the roster he would be playing not sitting there as insurance on the sideline.

Given Marrone's use of available personnel, I wouldn't be so sure that this is the case?

i still think that "poor pass blocker" is a pretty big jump. what if they just dont think he runs as well, and is a way better blocker?