Gilmore's "tackling"

Gisele

Dumb thread the day after Gilmore had a good game.

But you're right. Gilmore is the only cb in the NFL to give up completions. He also has been a pretty solid cb. He isn't shut down but he is far from a problem. People have insane expectations about how hard it is to be a cb in the NFL now.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Dumb thread the day after Gilmore had a good game.

But you're right. Gilmore is the only cb in the NFL to give up completions. He also has been a pretty solid cb. He isn't shut down but he is far from a problem. People have insane expectations about how hard it is to be a cb in the NFL now.

There is no such thing anymore.

1 completion on 2 targets.

At what point are we allowed to start questionin whether or not folks have the first clue what they're watching out there?

Didn't realize that, I only remember that big completion and seeing how burnt to a crisp he was on that play... Guess that skewed my perception of his day. They didn't throw down field much though since Teddy is a rook.

Still, he has been beaten recently for TDs vs the Lions and Pats, albeit that was a great catch/play in the Pats game by the WR.

Didn't realize that, I only remember that big completion and seeing how burnt to a crisp he was on that play... Guess that skewed my perception of his day. They didn't throw down field much though since Teddy is a rook.

Still, he has been beaten recently for TDs vs the Lions and Pats, albeit that was a great catch/play in the Pats game by the WR.

This is what happens when you're matched up against the other team's #1 receiver - sometimes they make really good plays.

Again. False. He was running a go route. The WR broke off. If Gilmore stops the WR runs right by him. Resulting in a TD. This happens to every corner. Comebacks are the hardest thing to cover if run correctly.

Again. False. He was running a go route. The WR broke off. If Gilmore stops the WR runs right by him. Resulting in a TD. This happens to every corner. Comebacks are the hardest thing to cover if run correctly.

I doubt that results in a completion every time.. it is a comeback route - not impossible to cover.

This is what happens when you're matched up against the other team's #1 receiver - sometimes they make really good plays.

Thanks for your contribution.

It was probably an option route. Is Gilmore supposed to just stop as if he knows the WR is running a comeback? If he does that, the WR runs right by him for a probable TD. But I get it, he is a 1st rd pick, and us Buffalo fans don't like 1st rd picks because they are not blue collar enough.

With #1 picks, people on this board are quick to label them either busts or they defend them as if it was their own draft pick. In my opinion, G seems to be pretty average. He is decent in coverage but we are quick to gripe when he gets beat. ALL db's get beat - they just have to keep it at a minimum.

On those 3rd & 16s, is he told to play soft or is he afraid to get a penalty if he breathes on the WR? Go Bills.

I'm more concerned about Aaron Williams' tackling. He gets frozen in space too much. Happened twice against the Vikes.

I wonder if it has anything to do with his injuries. He was playing hurt, and is normally a great tackler. He laid a hit on someone in the 3rd quarter that really stung, you could see him holding his wrist/shoulder/neck gingerly afterwards. Just speculating of course... I wouldn't worry too much about AW though, when healthy he's been key to the secondary.

I'm more concerned about Aaron Williams' tackling. He gets frozen in space too much. Happened twice against the Vikes.

He was playing with a bum wrist. Perhaps you didn't see what appeared to be a cast on his arm and his being forced off the field by the refs because he was clearly exacerbating it and refused to leave.

Edited by Big C

You haven't started questioning this a long time ago? In the last week alone on here, you got folks saying that Robert Woods isn't physical enough (say what you want about the guy but he's extremely tough), that our defense actually sucks, that EJ Manuel still gives us a better chance to win than Kyle Orton and of course, the obligatory "if you see people catch passes on Gilmore then he sucks but if you don't notice him for an entire game he also sucks" argument.

I said that as a parody. Good grief.

Gilmore is good, but he seems to be playing too far off on the receiver.

Would like to see him move right up on his man, and give him a shot to set the tone on a play.

He does play up on his man. The cushion has to do with the defensive playcalling. Something still is work with how big of a cushion that is, but he certainly plays press man during the games.

I would call what Gilmore does "slowing down" until help arrives. Not tackling. Also A A Ron Williams was playing with a bum wrist and I could feel the pain every time he made a stop. He showed some real guts staying in the game

Edited by bmur66