Ghosts, Poltergeists, Goblins...

boyst

The best ghost story I ever heard was told by Telly Savalas (aka Kojak). I think he told it on Letterman once, but I remember Growing Pains even did a Halloween episode where they just completely ripped Savalas's story off. It was an experience that really stuck with him and he spoke about it a lot. I found this clip about it, had never seen this clip before but it's great -- and by great I mean cheesy in a good way.

I was in my parent's finished basement and heard furniture moving upstairs. I thought "Oh my folks are home" went upstairs, there was no one there.

When I came home from seeing the Exorcist I turned into the hall corner. The hallway was dark because no one else was home. No one had told me that my folks had installed a mirror at the end of the hall.

I lived in an old farmhouse for years, it was a farm that had only been owned by three families, including our own. Growing up, I had several experiences in the house that can only be described as paranormal. None of them were traumatizing, in fact quite the opposite. The most fun story to tell this time of year happened around 2003...

I was living in the house alone for the majority of the time at this point, just me and my dog. Occasionally my sister would stay for a weekend, but mostly it was just me. I grew up in the house, so it never spooked me out before even though in grade school none of my friends would ever stay over because they were scared of the house. One night, at exactly 3:00 A.M, my dog starts yelping... which was weird since she was a golden retriever and very friendly and seldom, if ever, made a noise like the one I heard that night. My first thought was she got in a scrap with a racoon or something and was hurt. So I go out into the hall, following the noise and find the dog sitting at the top of the stairs, tail wagging, unharmed, but staring at the ceiling. This was the oldest part of the house, and the dog wouldn't stop staring at the ceiling making these weirdly playful, yet somehow unsettling, noises. I didn't think anything of it that first night and put the dog back in my room.

The next night, at the exact same time, the dog starts up again. I go out, find her in the same spot, yelping at the ceiling atop the stairs. The second time made me a bit uneasy, but I was too tired to think much of it... until it happened a third night in a row. Same time, same behavior. This continued for a solid two weeks -- enough time that my sister witnessed it two nights in a row. I still wasn't freaked out, though I found it very odd and soon found it annoying as hell. I wasn't getting any good sleep because every morning at 3 A.M. I'd have to go out and deal with the dog.

Flash to a couple weeks later, the behavior had continued steady.

My sister and her best friend, a girl I'd known my whole life and one who always proclaimed to be able to see spirits (and has a bevy of stories of her own that are hair raising) were over. My sister and I were in the living room (at the bottom of the stairs) while her friend was upstairs using the bathroom. We hear her talking to someone upstairs, both of us assume she's on the phone and don't think anything of it.

Until she came downstairs. She tells us she was talking to the "old lady who lives in the hall" and that the old lady wants to apologize for keeping me up late. She said the old lady knows how hard I'm working and didn't want to bother me, she just can't help playing with the dog -- however, the old lady promised not to do it anymore. This was during a very busy time for me, something my sister didn't know about nor did her friend. Still, I was convinced my sister and her friend were messing with me. I look at my sister who swears she didn't mention anything about the dog to her friend, I'm not sure I believed her, but I let it drop.

From that night on, the dog never repeated that odd behavior.

Maybe three years later, we're cleaning out an older part of the house and we find photographs of the original owners of the farm. I knew who they were because my father had done extensive research about the farm and the original owners, so I took the photo and set it out on the kitchen table to get framed. My sister and the same friend show up and see the photo -- without missing a beat the friend goes, "that's the old lady who still lives here, that's the one I talked to about the dog."

I didn't believe her, until she told me her full name, date of birth AND death.

I lived in an old farmhouse for years, it was a farm that had only been owned by three families, including our own. Growing up, I had several experiences in the house that can only be described as paranormal. None of them were traumatizing, in fact quite the opposite. The most fun story to tell this time of year happened around 2003...

I was living in the house alone for the majority of the time at this point, just me and my dog. Occasionally my sister would stay for a weekend, but mostly it was just me. I grew up in the house, so it never spooked me out before even though in grade school none of my friends would ever stay over because they were scared of the house. One night, at exactly 3:00 A.M, my dog starts yelping... which was weird since she was a golden retriever and very friendly and seldom, if ever, made a noise like the one I heard that night. My first thought was she got in a scrap with a racoon or something and was hurt. So I go out into the hall, following the noise and find the dog sitting at the top of the stairs, tail wagging, unharmed, but staring at the ceiling. This was the oldest part of the house, and the dog wouldn't stop staring at the ceiling making these weirdly playful, yet somehow unsettling, noises. I didn't think anything of it that first night and put the dog back in my room.

The next night, at the exact same time, the dog starts up again. I go out, find her in the same spot, yelping at the ceiling atop the stairs. The second time made me a bit uneasy, but I was too tired to think much of it... until it happened a third night in a row. Same time, same behavior. This continued for a solid two weeks -- enough time that my sister witnessed it two nights in a row. I still wasn't freaked out, though I found it very odd and soon found it annoying as hell. I wasn't getting any good sleep because every morning at 3 A.M. I'd have to go out and deal with the dog.

My sister and her best friend, a girl I'd known my whole life and one who always proclaimed to be able to see spirits (and has a bevy of stories of her own that are hair raising) were over. My sister and I were in the living room (at the bottom of the stairs) while her friend was upstairs using the bathroom. We hear her talking to someone upstairs, both of us assume she's on the phone and don't think anything of it.

Until she came downstairs. She tells us she was talking to the "old lady who lives in the hall" and that the old lady wants to apologize for keeping me up late. She said the old lady knows how hard I'm working and didn't want to bother me, she just can't help playing with the dog -- however, the old lady promised not to do it anymore. This was during a very busy time for me, something my sister didn't know about nor did her friend. Still, I was convinced my sister and her friend were messing with me. I look at my sister who swears she didn't mention anything about the dog to her friend, I'm not sure I believed her, but I let it drop.

Maybe three years later, we're cleaning out an older part of the house and we find photographs of the original owners of the farm. I knew who they were because my father had done extensive research about the farm and the original owners, so I took the photo and set it out on the kitchen table to get framed. My sister and the same friend show up and see the photo -- without missing a beat the friend goes, "that's the old lady who still lives here, that's the one I talked to about the dog."

Sounds like a Dead Files episode. Amazing stuff.

When I was a mid-teen, my sister was like 18-20 ish. She made friends kind of with this... weirdo, kinda. Just an oddball dude. He never was over or anything, and I think her and her friends just kind of used him to laugh at.

He was way into a lot of occult stuff, and stuff with his mind/telepathic stuff.

We had a bonfire one night, got to talking about all this kind of ****, and my sister got the bright idea of calling this guy. He was telling us about this "trick" where you could travel and see things where people are. So we decided to do that.

He had us do an exercise where we hold hands and meditate/concentrate, fly to where he was, pick him up and bring him to where we were... Then he proceeded to describe my house, moving from the back door to the back of the house (small ranch house). Mind you, this was back in the early-mid 90s with no cell phones, cameras, etc.

There were a couple things he described that were particularly mind blowing. First, he went in my parents room and said there was a large lump on the bed/it wasnt made... my dad had to work early and was sleeping in there. Also, I was an asthmatic. An hour or so earlier, I couldnt find my inhaler. I tore apart my already messy room, and moved the bed a little off the wall as I discovered it fell behind the bed, so the bed was pulled out at an angle with the foot against the wall, and the head pulled out. The dude described how all that looked in real time and also how much of a mess the room was.

It was pretty crazy. Believe me, there was no trick/joke. The guy also went on to say he has had all sorts of encounters with demons and **** that I really cant totally discount.

See, that's what I was looking for. I don't have any great stories like that but my land is haunted they say.

Civil war soldiers were killed on the land looking for Cornwallis' gold.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1876&dat=19870410&id=v7AeAAAAIBAJ&sjid=ms4EAAAAIBAJ&pg=1950,3809167

http://hauntedstories.net/myths-legends/north-carolina/ghosts-abbotts-creek

http://www.examiner.com/article/abbott-s-creek-treasure-and-haunting (the picture in this article is actually on my land, at the railroad bridge - which is adjacent to where the new bridge is going - and they haven't found gold while building it).

Pic of your sister & her friend?

After college, my wife and I managed to both get jobs back in our hometown. My wife's grandmother had several houses she owned and rented. Lucky enough, one just opened up for us. The first night in the house, I went to bed before my wife. I had to get up early for work. As soon as I hit the bed, I heard what sounded like a rocking chair creaking in the corner of the room (there was no rocking chair in the room). When it'd stopped, I heard the sound of something tapping on the window. Okay, I at least figured the tapping on the window as a tree outside the room. I could not figure out the rocking chair sound (nor was it ever figured out). The next day, I went out back to look for the tree outside the window. Nothing. This continued throughout out stay at the house. Rocking chair rocking, followed by tapping on the window. Almost each and every night. There was one room, we used as storage and an office that I never quite felt comfortable in. It's hard to explain, but I always felt someone was there with me. At one point, my wife saw a child in our backyard playing. The child vanished in the blink of an eye. We only spent a few months in the house, as we were able to buy our own place.

Soon after we moved out, my Father in Law approached my wife and I. He asked us, while living in the house, if we experienced any weird things happen. We knew what he was getting at, so we told him our experiences. He went on to tell us, the new tenant told him she thought the house was haunted. Whenever she'd close the master bedroom door (the room we experienced the rocking and tapping), the doorknob would turn on its own...as if someone was trying to get in. Inside the room, she also had an antique pedal powered sewing machine. She told my FIL that on a regular basis, the machine would start moving on its own. There were a few more instances, but those were the big ones that stuck into memory.

Grandma and my FIL have long since passed. The house is still owned by the family and I am often curious if the "ghost" still remains. Unfortunately, we recently did a top to bottom remodel, but I was never able to get to the house while it was vacant and under construction. One day I'll get back in and check it out.

Edited by Eric95403

My story isn't as cool as GreggyT's but it left me and my wife wondering...

Four years ago my parents moved down to NC from NJ, and we helped them house shop. We found a great deal on a re-sale in a 55+ community -- the house was nearly new and the owner moved out after his wife died. It was her "dream house" so when she died her husband was heartbroken and moved back out to California. The house had been on the market for longer-than-usual, hence the great deal.

Shortly after my folks moved in we were over visiting and brought our minpin, Kiwi. After dinner my wife and I were sitting on the living room rug across from each other, tossing a toy with Kiwi as she ran back and forth. As we were driving back home later that night we both brought up at the same time something odd we noticed about Kiwi's behavior, after not having said a thing earlier. No matter where we threw the toy there was a specific area on the rug Kiwi would not go. Several times she just stopped in her tracks and then walked around this area to get the toy and come back to one of us. There was no furniture or other object on the rug.

It may not sound like much, but we both had the identical reaction -- Kiwi had "sensed" something in that area she did not want to be around. As I noted above the previous owner had died in the home, so while I'm not the biggest believer in ghost stories a part of me is open to the possibility this woman was "visiting" the new owners of her dream home.

We never told my parents about it, and they've never told us any stories of anything strange happening since.

Kiwi still doesn't like visiting there -- it seems as soon as we get there she goes by the front door waiting to leave.

Things I have learned in this thread:

Dogs don't like to go on spots where people have dropped dead. This holds true even for dogs with ridiculous names.

Not only do some people believe in ghosts of dead people, they also believe old rocking chairs also have eternal spirits. :wacko:

Beerboy's recent absence from work can be attributed to him wasting time on Google searching "Video of Greggy's sister and her friend at the old farmhouse --- hot" and variations on that theme.

Some people don't make their beds and even though Santa might not know, nerds can tell.

dib looks like Linda Blair?

Telly Savalas was full of crap.....totally full of crap...his story gives him away and if you were paying attention you'd easily be able to see this.

EDIT: BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Edited by 4merper4mer

The guy who lived in my house before me died of a heart attack while painting the den. My neighbor tells me he liked whiskey. One Hallow I came home from the bar and the last thing I remember was walking through the front door.

The next morning I woke up with a massive headache and my fifth of whiskey was empty. My wife doesn't drink whiskey and I didn't have company that night.

The guy who lived in my house before me died of a heart attack while painting the den. My neighbor tells me he liked whiskey. One Hallow I came home from the bar and the last thing I remember was walking through the front door.

The next morning I woke up with a massive headache and my fifth of whiskey was empty. My wife doesn't drink whiskey and I didn't have company that night.

Ryan has a story like this but with pot.

I used to live in a ****ty apartment in a great location, which was part of a closed convalescent home. One time I was hosting a party, and my friend said "wow- I just realized where this is- my grandmother used to live here. This place is haunted as !@#$!" I knew what he was talking about.

Stuff would fall off my shelves all the time. Books for example. How does a book fall off the top of a shelf? One time something fell from atop the fridge onto my sink, and broke a plate that was in the sink. I told friends stories. Some were intriqued, and some had their doubts.

One night one of the doubters was staying over. She was sleeping, and I got up to take my contacts out. There was a conch shell on top of my toilet, centered. I took out my contacts, and walked out of bathroom for a minute, then walked back in- the conch shell had moved over to edge...I centered it....walked out for a minute....walked back in and the conch was back on edge again....and again I centered it, I then walked out and BAM! The conch shell hit the floor and made a loud crashing noise. I woke her up- "did you hear that?!?" Now she is finally convinced that place was haunted. I have since moved to a nicer play which has zero ghosts as far as I know

I rode from Ithaca to Rochester with a girl from Buffalo who, along with her sister and mother, had recurring supernatural experiences throughout her life. No joke, the entire ride she told one story after another. I can't even remember them all now, but the gist was she grew up in a house next to a creek and they later found out that during either the Revolutionary War or War of 1812 (I don't remember which), as soldiers marched through there, they'd leave the sick and injured ones next to the creek to die. Well, that explained the soldiers, both full-bodied and torso-only that she would routinely see walking around her back yard.

But there were other INSANE things that happened both in her house and in the house of the strange elderly folks who lived next door who had a weird rule about NEVER shutting the dryer door all the way, and she just went on and on and on.

Anyways.

Two stories I can recall:

For a brief period her mother kept coming downstairs every morning to find a glass of milk on the counter next to the gallon jug. Nobody in the family would fess up, but she kept harping on them until one day she kinda blew a gasket and got really pissed because she was convinced this girl or her sister or brother or dad was playing a stupid and prank, and Jesus Christ, that was like the third gallon of milk to spoil that month.

Well, the next morning after her blow up she came down to find ANOTHER glass of milk, this one filled right to the brim...sitting on the counter...upside down.

Also, one night the family was sitting around watching TV and her mother just randomly got up, walked across the room and picked up the phone. She put it to her ear, said nothing, put it back on the cradle and announced "we're moving."

Supposedly, on the other line there was voice that simply gave an address, nothing more, nothing less.

Her mom and dad had never heard of the street, had never been to that part of Buffalo, but her mom kept begging her dad to look it up and take her there. They found it, drove there and found a house for sale. They bought it and moved in and all the paranormal activity stopped.

Until one morning this girl found her sister ashen and looking like she hadn't slept. After some coaxing her sister confessed that she had seen all the old spirits and entities from their old home and was tricked into inviting them to their new home.

From that moment on, all the activity picked up again.