Has CJ Spiller played his last game as a Buffalo Bill?

YoloinOhio

CJ Spiller as a Buffalo Bill  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Has CJ Spiller played his last game as a Buffalo Bill?

• No, he will recover in time to return this season (Edit: Or postseason)
    • No, he will not come back this season but will be re-signed
    • No, he will choose not to opt out of his contract and will return in 2015
    • Yes, he will go on IR and sign elsewhere in offseason

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, unless someone else pointed out earlier, the money is the same or at least close elsewhere and he can play for a team that would give him the chance to showcase his talents a year before hitting UFA.

It's highly unlikely he gets anything close to what he'd get with the Bills, for a 1-year deal, coming off a poor season cut short by injury.

The ironic thing is he's been playing the last couple of weeks like he was trying not to get hurt, to keep his re-sale value up. So he breaks a long one, gets caught FROM BEHIND (geez how fast was that Viking) which probably surprised him, lands wrong, and now he's injured anyway.

Spiller might be back, but only if the numbers work for everyone. He loves Jackson but Fred might not be back either -- I love that guy but some RBs get old quick -- so if one half of a happy couple leaves the other probably will too.

Let's see how Brown does against the Jets. That's a tough intro for a RB -- running into the NJJ D-line which is quite good, behind our O-line which isn't. If Brown finds a way to excel in this situation, that will be a push in the back out the door for CJ.

Happens once in a while with Spiller. Last season it was Trufant up in Toronto.

The worst I remember is Harvin getting chased down by Chris Owens against the Falcons a few years back.

EDIT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ2-00vkJdg

The funny thing was that the Vikings failed to pick up 3 yards on four downs and subsequently handed the ball back to ATL on the 3.

Edited by Smooth

Happens once in a while with Spiller. Last season it was Trufant up in Toronto.

The worst I remember is Harvin getting chased down by Chris Owens against the Falcons a few years back.

EDIT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ2-00vkJdg

The funny thing was that the Vikings failed to pick up 3 yards on four downs and subsequently handed the ball back to ATL on the 3.

The reason all of these guys get chased down from behind is that they are carrying a football close to their bodies and have to worry about ball protection. The guys chasing them aren't. It's pretty simple,

Is going to IR, but it's possible his option year is worth taking.

How much does his option year pay him? Probably a lot since it was the old CBA. Maybe $6 million?

Interesting question. He can't feel good about how he is being used, or how he has performed in Buffalo.

He is due $2.2 mil in base salary, plus $1.8 mil option bonus if he stays with the Bills. Will another team think enough of him to top that is the question.

If another team makes him a good offer I think he takes it. If there is no such offer, he stays with the Bills for the $4 mil and tries to put a resume together next season for when he hits the UFA market that Spring.

EDIT: I chose option 3, that he will not opt out. Mainly because based on his body of work to date, I don't think any other team will make him a big $$$ offer.

Sorry, didn't see this. So, $4 million.

Keep in mind he can't talk to other teams until and if he opts out.

So, let's say, if you are CJ and agent there are two thoughts...................

1. His value is down and he can sign a contract a little less the Chris Johnson...let's say it is 4 years at $3 million and $3 or $4 million guaranteed.

2. Stay in his contract for the final year and get $4 million guaranteed and sign a deal the following year with the Bills or another team and get more than 4 years at $3 million and $3 or $4 million guaranteed and already pocketed an extra and sure $4 million.

I was just talking aloud while I was typing and thinking.........I think he stays in his contract and I would if I was him too.

What's the point of bringing him back when he's so unproductive? You can debate all day if it's him or the coaches, but facts are facts, and the fact is he isn't getting it done.

I like CJ's potential. I get his overall under performance. My overall thought is, he is worth bringing back with new coaches or at least a new OC. If not, it is the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. So, same coaches I would hope for his sake and ours he is not back.

C.J. has loads of talent, but he is definitely an under achiever and injury prone. When was the last time he had a season where he did not miss time with one injury or another? I think he is a good third down back and pass reciever, but as an every down back, he just doesn't cut the mustard. He needs to be part of a tandem, like the one he has been in with Fred. They just need to use Fred more on the between the tackles plays and C.J. on screens, pitches and sweeps. If used that way, he can be productive, but if he leaves, it's no big deal IMO. He would be replaced fairly easily.

How much does his option year pay him? Probably a lot since it was the old CBA. Maybe $6 million?

Sorry, didn't see this. So, $4 million.

Keep in mind he can't talk to other teams until and if he opts out.

So, let's say, if you are CJ and agent there are two thoughts...................

1. His value is down and he can sign a contract a little less the Chris Johnson...let's say it is 4 years at $3 million and $3 or $4 million guaranteed.

2. Stay in his contract for the final year and get $4 million guaranteed and sign a deal the following year with the Bills or another team and get more than 4 years at $3 million and $3 or $4 million guaranteed and already pocketed an extra and sure $4 million.

I was just talking aloud while I was typing and thinking.........I think he stays in his contract and I would if I was him too.

I like CJ's potential. I get his overall under performance. My overall thought is, he is worth bringing back with new coaches or at least a new OC. If not, it is the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. So, same coaches I would hope for his sake and ours he is not back.

But . . .

Opting out and signing a 1 year 3 Mil deal with 1.5M guaranteed on an offense like the Chargers, Eagles, and Saints, where he can really show off his ability.

Then signing a big 4 year 16M dollar deal with 8M guaranteed may be a better option.

I'd put my money on that option.

A player very rarely gets to control their destiny when they are still productive.

Edited by Why So Serious?

But . . .

Opting out and signing a 1 year 3 Mil deal with 1.5M guaranteed on an offense like the Chargers, Eagles, and Saints, where he can really show off his ability.

Then signing a big 4 year 16M dollar deal with 8M guaranteed may be a better option.

I'd put my money on that option.

A player very rarely gets to control their destiny when they are still productive.

True. So, I guess that is the argument for opting out.

Hopefully, we have a new OC and or HC and he does not opt out.