Jerry Sullivan OC

vegas55

Former offensive coordinator Jerry Sullivan weighed in this morning in the Buffalo News about all the things the Bills need to do to improve the offense. This, I am sure, was written only after his extensive study of game film, his consultation with football experts and of course his vast experience in playing, coaching and breaking down football games.

After ripping Chan Gailey back when for not using a power run game, he now calls for the very same spread offense Gailey ran. Because don't you see, that at 3-3, the Bills need to totally revamp the offense, and go back to the very offense Jerry ripped several years ago.

BTW - all the critics of Hackett consistently miss the fact that Marrone has a huge impact in the offensive design and game plan. Since he leaves the defense completely to the defensive coordinator, what is it that you think Marrone does all day. The fact is that Marrone is a former NFL OC, and he is NOT going to leave his head coaching future completely in the hands of Hackett. This offensive is Marrone's.

Look I don't expect Jerry Sullivan to break down game film or have prior coaching/playing football experience. But is it really too much to expect, after decades of covering this team, to develop a source, a former player or coach who does enjoy breaking down game film and who does have a football background, to consult with before offering your own superficial diagnosis as to what an NFL team should or should not do. Otherwise you are just throwing out completely uninformed opinions that have no more basis than the local drunk at the bar who watches just as much (if not more) football than you do. And your columns reflect that ignorance; they simply amount to second guessing after every loss, and why Gaileys spread offense is the way to go now, but was wrong when Gailey was coaching (and losing)

Former offensive coordinator Jerry Sullivan weighed in this morning in the Buffalo News about all the things the Bills need to do to improve the offense. This, I am sure, was written only after his extensive study of game film, his consultation with football experts and of course his vast experience in playing, coaching and breaking down football games.

After ripping Chan Gailey back when for not using a power run game, he now calls for the very same spread offense Gailey ran. Because don't you see, that at 3-3, the Bills need to totally revamp the offense, and go back to the very offense Jerry ripped several years ago.

BTW - all the critics of Hackett consistently miss the fact that Marrone has a huge impact in the offensive design and game plan. Since he leaves the defense completely to the defensive coordinator, what is it that you think Marrone does all day. The fact is that Marrone is a former NFL OC, and he is NOT going to leave his head coaching future completely in the hands of Hackett. This offensive is Marrone's.

Look I don't expect Jerry Sullivan to break down game film or have prior coaching/playing football experience. But is it really too much to expect, after decades of covering this team, to develop a source, a former player or coach who does enjoy breaking down game film and who does have a football background, to consult with before offering your own superficial diagnosis as to what an NFL team should or should not do. Otherwise you are just throwing out completely uninformed opinions that have no more basis than the local drunk at the bar who watches just as much (if not more) football than you do. And your columns reflect that ignorance; they simply amount to second guessing after every loss, and why Gaileys spread offense is the way to go now, but was wrong when Gailey was coaching (and losing)

But... that's kinda Jerry's thing, isn't it?

Jerry is the master of the rear view mirror.

But to be serious for a moment, think of Jerry like a radio shock jock. He says what will get the biggest reaction from week to week. I doubt he even believes half the stuff he writes. Several years ago I emailed him about an article he wrote slamming the Bills for drafting OL Mike Williams. I reminded him that he was effusive of his praise of the MW pick when it happened. He wrote back to say "I have the right to say what needs to be said." Translation: I push people's buttons. Nothing more.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

lol

The fact is that Marrone is a former NFL OC, and he is NOT going to leave his head coaching future completely in the hands of Hackett. This offensive is Marrone's.

Excellent points and I agree that Marrone escapes a lot of the blame for the offense and in particular the offensive line.

Excellent points and I agree that Marrone escapes a lot of the blame for the offense and in particular the offensive line.

I think that the obsessive desire to focus on Offensive and Defensive coordinators is a product of the last couple of decades, as TV in its never-ending search for images, discovered the entertainment value of showing guys like Chucky or Mike Martz, etc. Coordinators have always been important, of course, but not up there with the HC on the sidelines. Who knows (without goggling now) who was John Madden's D-coordinator? Or Chuck Noll's?